Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
Reverenddave
Maniac

Import Blu-Ray Info & Deals

The exchange rate has gotten much better, and there have been some great deals at international stores. So this thread will discuss import discs that are compatible with US players. And good places to buy them cheap.

Here's some stuff I've bought lately:

THE HILLS HAVE EYES - Got the UK blu-ray at BlahDVD for 13.83 shipped (around $20). It plays in my PS3 (including the extras).

LIFE ON MARS: SEASON 1 & 2 - Got both UK blu-rays at BlahDVD for 29.86 shipped (around $44). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

THE TUDORS: SEASON 1 & 2 - Got the UK blu-ray box set at AmazonUK for 29.14 shipped (around $43 - they remove VAT). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

ALL THE BOYS LOVE MANDY LANE - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 13.83 shipped (around $20). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

SHROOMS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 11.49 shipped (around $17). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 12.91 shipped (around $19). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

THIRTEEN GHOSTS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 11.45 shipped (around $17). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras).

ALMOST FAMOUS - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 10.37 shipped (around $15). Plays on my PS3 (including the extras). This is the 161 minute "Extended Edition".

Last edited by Reverenddave; 01-15-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Reverenddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

The Boys from Brazil UK Blu-ray is region-free and looks superb! A million times better than the old letterbox DVD.

I also have these two UK Blu-ray imports on order:

Sophie Scholl - the DVDBeaver review forced me to buy this!

Downfall - ditto!

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
mlock
Stalker

Thanks guys! Great to know that my PS3 will play certain import titles including the extras should the need arise.

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Grim
HackMaster

Nice. I've always been annoyed the second Hills Have Eyes was the only one available on blu. I might have to pick that up now.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Reverenddave
Maniac

Got some new UK blu-rays:

BLACK SHEEP - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this it's 13 shipped (around $18). Plays on my PS3 (extras don't work).

THE FOG (1980) - Got the UK blu-ray at AmazonUK in the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale. If you just want this, it's available at BlahDVD for 13.95 shipped (around $20). Plays on my PS3 (there are no extras).
Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Reverenddave
Maniac

Got one more UK blu-ray:

GUARD POST (aka G.P. 506) - Got the UK blu-ray at BlahDVD for 10.95 shipped (around $15). It plays in my PS3 (extras don't work, except the trailer for Chocolate).
Old 01-25-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
mlock
Stalker

I read that the transfer on Escape From NY and They Live are both not very good. Too bad! I would have jumped on those!

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlock View Post
I read that the transfer on Escape From NY and They Live are both not very good. Too bad! I would have jumped on those!
I've also heard they're both just upconverted DVD transfers, or sourced from really poor transfers.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Uncle Jay
Stalker

Terminator 2: Judgment Day [Premium Edition] (Japan Import Blu-ray)

Just snagged this, fantastic set! Has both versions of the film, and is Region Free.

-UJ

Uncle Jay's Laserdiscs
Uncle Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Dave
Pimp

Where you get T2 and how much?

I have been eyeballing the German HD-DVD import but if the blu is a similar price, I'll bite on it. Can't bring myself to get the domestic one.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Uncle Jay
Stalker

www.amazon.co.jp

Japan Amazon has them, they're roughly $70 plus shipping.

I got mine through a guy in Canada who ordered 2 by mistake and sold me one for $75 (basically his money back). Great set!

-Jay

Uncle Jay's Laserdiscs
Uncle Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #12
Grim
HackMaster

Christ $70? I'll just wait until it gets released here. The theatrical cut blu-ray I got for like 8 bucks will tide me over until then.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
Dave
Pimp

cdjapn has it for $52; not sure on shipping charges.

But for that price I'll skip it and get the German HD-DVD Steelbook import. I can get that for around $30-$35 on ebay.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
Grim
HackMaster

Yeah I can basically hold off on a lot of these and wait for them to get released stateside and not spend nearly as much money, unless its like an uncut edition of Kill Bill or something, because with the Weinsteins who knows when that will ever be released.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Matt89
HackMaster

I'm still seriously tempted to grab the UK blu-ray of The Goonies since it has yet to be announced for North America.

~Matt