Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
zbinks
Time Fades Away

Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

I couldn't find an all encompassing thread for Severin, but it looks like Severin has some fairly big releases in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangoria
Genre disc label Severin Films is making 2015 a killer year, with Blu-rays on the way showcasing Richard Stanley, Barbara Steele, a sinful dwarf and many others. Read on for the full details, including some exclusive announcements.

Fango caught up with Severin’s David Gregory over the weekend at Charlotte, NC’s Mad Monster Party convention, where he broke the news to us that the company will give Richard Stanley’s director’s cut of DUST DEVIL (pictured above) its Blu-ray debut this summer. In addition to the full version of the desert-set chiller, which was heavily trimmed for its initial U.S. video distribution, the hi-def disc will include the bulk of the extras from Subversive Cinema’s previous three-DVD release. “Most of the documentary features will be on there, as well as some new goodies,” Gregory tells us. “The one that Richard wants to take out of circulation for the time being is the Afghanistan footage, because he’s planning to make that into a full documentary. It’s kind of an incomplete piece on the Subversive disc, so we may be involved in that in some way, shape or form, because I’m doing a lot of stuff with Richard these days. He’s in LA at the moment, and he has his DUST DEVIL jacket with him, so we’re going to go to the desert next week and shoot a bunch of new extras for the Blu-ray.”

Also on tap is the disc release of Gregory’s documentary LOST SOUL: THE DOOMED JOURNEY OF RICHARD STANLEY’S “ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU,” which has been winning raves (including ours) from its festival play and current screening tour (and in which—full disclosure—this writer briefly appears). “I’ve just shot a bunch of new stuff with Richard for that,” Gregory says, “and there will also be outtakes, stuff on H.G. Wells in cinema and more. We’ll also be including, on the limited edition, a 1921 version of ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU called ISLE OF THE LOST, which has never been out anywhere in the world before. Nobody even knew it existed until I was doing this documentary. I asked Kim Newman and Tim Lucas and Joe Dante and various people, ‘Have you ever heard of a German version of THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU?’ and nobody had. So that will be on there; it’s not great, to be honest—it’s no ISLAND OF LOST SOULS—but it’s definitely an interesting curio.”

Gregory was at Mad Monster Party screening new hi-def transfers of AXE and KIDNAPPED COED, a pair of ’70s pictures by local filmmaker Frederick R. Friedel (who also attended). Those are coming to disc in July or August: “We will be releasing them on one Blu-ray, along with BLOODY BROTHERS, which is his amalgam [positing the characters played by Jack Canon in the movies as siblings]. There will also be a bunch of extras about the production—everything you’ll ever need to know about Fred Friedel’s films.” Among the subjects they’ll cover will be “the tragic chain of events that made Fred just duck out of the film industry,” and soundtrack composers George Shaw and John Willhelm, who met untimely deaths in a car crash soon after the films’ completion. In addition, there will be commentary by Friedel and crewmembers Worth Keeter, Richard Helms and Phil Smoot.

Beyond that, Gregory reveals to Fango that Severin will bring the Italo-classic Barbara Steele-starrer NIGHTMARE CASTLE to Blu-ray. “We’re hopefully doing a commentary with Barbara next week,” he says, “and we’re also going to include the American cuts of CASTLE OF BLOOD and TERROR CREATURES FROM THE GRAVE in HD. We’ve transferred them from good prints. And THE SINFUL DWARF will be coming on Blu-ray as well, amazingly enough! That will feature as an extra a film called THE BLUE BALLOON, which we think may have been from the same production company—but seeing as everybody used pseudonyms on THE SINFUL DWARF, it’s hard to tell. We’ll have both the XXX version and the American release cut of DWARF on that disc.”

Finally, Severin officially announced the full specs for its two-disc limited-edition Blu-rays of Jess Franco’s VAMPYROS LESBOS and SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY, both starring Soledad Miranda and coming May 12, which we first reported on here. “Those are two of my proudest achievements of all the discs I’ve ever worked on,” Gregory says. “I have painstakingly tried to make them the ultimate editions of these films. They both look fantastic, and SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY has footage I’ve never seen before in any version—all killing stuff.” The full specs:

VAMPYROS LESBOS (Limited edition of 7,500)
Disc 1 (Blu-Ray):
• Newly remastered HD presentation of the feature in its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio
• “Vampyros Jesus”: Interview featurette with Franco
• “Sublime Soledad”: Interview with Soledad Miranda Historian Amy Brown
• “Stephen Thrower on VAMPYROS LESBOS”: Interview with the author of MURDEROUS PASSIONS—THE DELIRIOUS CINEMA OF JESS FRANCO
• “Jess is Yoda” Clip
• Alternate German opening-title sequence: DRACULA’S HEIRESS
• German trailer
Disc 2 (DVD):
• LAS VAMPIRAS: Alternate Spanish-language VHS version with optional English subtitles
Specially packaged in die-cut slipcase with newly created cover art by Wes Benscoter

SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY (Limited edition of 4,000)
Disc 1 (Blu-Ray):
• Newly remastered HD presentation of the feature in its original 1.66:1 aspect ratio
• “Jess Killed in Ecstasy”: Interview with Franco
• “Sublime Soledad”: Interview with Soledad Miranda Historian Amy Brown
• “Stephen Thrower on SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY”: Interview with the author of MURDEROUS PASSIONS—THE DELIRIOUS CINEMA OF JESS FRANCO
• “Paul Muller on Jess Franco”: Interview with frequent Franco star
• German trailer
Disc 2 (CD):
• Original Motion Picture Soundtracks—3 Films By Jess Franco: VAMPYROS LESBOS/SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY/THE DEVIL CAME FROM AKASAVA (repressing of the ultra-rare 24 track CD)
Specially packaged in die-cut slipcase with newly created cover art by Wes Benscoter
A theatrical screening of VAMPYROS LESBOS will take place at the New York-area Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers, introduced by Frank Henenlotter, on April 9, and the Austin Film Society will show both VAMPYROS LESBOS (May 15 and 24) and SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY (May 22 and 24). A launch party will take place in LA at the Hyperion Tavern on April 10. Keep up with Severin at its official website and Facebook page.
http://www.fangoria.com/new/exclusiv...severin-films/

Last edited by zbinks; 03-31-2015 at 06:16 PM.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Already pre-orderd both the Franco's a few days ago via DiabolikDVD. Will definitely be upgrading Dust Devil, and picking up Lost Soul and Axe/Kidnapped Coed when they come out.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Angelman
HackMaster

All about those Francos.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
Egg_Shen
broomhead

More than pleased to read about Castle of Blood. I've been hoping for a blu-ray of that for quite some time.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
russweiss
HackMaster

Will certainly be picking up the Franco titles.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #6
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I'm in for Axe and thats about it. I already have the XXX DVD of Sinful Dwarf which is more than enough.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:28 AM   #7
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Axe / Kidnapped Coed is the only one I'll be buying.

Although I wouldn't mind checking out the Lost Souls documentary. Hopefully it'll be on NetFlix.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Angelman
HackMaster

She Killed in Ecstasy down to $24.99 on Amazon.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #9
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
When it hits $19.99 I'll bite but $25 is too much for a blind buy. Jess Franco films are VERY hit or miss, miss mostly.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
When it hits $19.99 I'll bite but $25 is too much for a blind buy. Jess Franco films are VERY hit or miss, miss mostly.
I get it. I've seen it before, one of my favorites.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelman View Post
Vampyros Lesbos is now down to $24.99 on Amazon as well.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
russweiss
HackMaster

I went ahead and pre-ordered these titles. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay but since it included posters I did it anyway.

http://www.severin-films.com/shop/va...ray-2-posters/
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:25 AM   #13
f.ramses
Maniac

Was annoyed to see the 2 Franco BDs for sale at Chiller today when mine haven't even shipped from Severin yet, one even had the 2 for $55 + free poster deal. The discs are obviously ready so why don't the people who paid up front get priority instead of being made to wait for some arbitrary date for shipping? If I hadn't pre-ordered these from Severin then I would have both and the poster right now for a slightly lower price... :/