Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Workshed
October!

Underworld: Reboot-ening

Who knows what "reboot" really means here, but:

Quote:
Vampires and Lycans will wage ware once again in a reboot of the Underworld action horror franchise. According to The Hollywood Reporter Lakeshore Entertainment hired Cory Goodman (Priest, The Last Witch Hunter) to write the script.

The series debuted in 2003 with director Len Wisemanís Underworld, which introduced Kate Beckinsale as Selene, a vampire determined to take revenge on the Lycans that killed her family. It was followed by Underworld: Evolution in 2006, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans in 2009 and Underworld: Awakening in 2012.

The four films, which boasted a collective budget of $177 million, have grossed more than $458 million worldwide.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Damn they skipped right over REMAKING movies from the 90's and just jumped right into the current.
Fake as hell (meaning: I realize the REMAKE is a reality but I really hate that Hollywood doesn't let anything have a
legacy anymore and just cater to...whatever the F they think is...? Oh, F. I give up on Hollywood current crap).
wago70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Why reboot a still successful series? Awakening wasn't great, but it was far from franchise killingly bad!

$5 says it will be PG-13 this time, make it $500! I see no other reason to reboot it, than to look for teen money some bean-counting asshole thinks they missed on the first time by being R. I'm pre-inclined to pass!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
Mok
Family is Forever

I liked the lower key tone of Awakening, but there was a hint of "cashing in" on Kate Beckinsale's part. She was too cool for school to be in Rise of the Lycans but then settled to be in Awakening. So I say good, "reboot" it. I hope all that means is different characters rather than recasting old ones.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Workshed
October!

How would Kate have fit into RISE, tho? It was a story about Lucian.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Why reboot a still successful series? Awakening wasn't great, but it was far from franchise killingly bad!
Totally agree. I don't understand this news. The series isn't amazing but it has its fun. Why they think rebooting it is a good idea is beyond me. It's also why I hate it when these movies have open endings
Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshed View Post
How would Kate have fit into RISE, tho? It was a story about Lucian.
It wouldn't have been if she was willing to be in it. My impression, wrong as I may be, is that she thought it was beneath her to be in any more of those films, so they decided to do a prequel about one of the other characters. Rhona Mitra was clearly cast because she is a dead ringer which furthers my suspicion.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Workshed
October!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
It wouldn't have been if she was willing to be in it. My impression, wrong as I may be, is that she thought it was beneath her to be in any more of those films, so they decided to do a prequel about one of the other characters. Rhona Mitra was clearly cast because she is a dead ringer which furthers my suspicion.
Hm. Agreed on the casting but I think that was more for audiences than a result of Beckinsale's disinterest:

Quote:
In September 2003, shortly after the release of Underworld, production companies Screen Gems and Lakeshore planned to release a prequel as the third film following Underworld's sequel, Underworld: Evolution. Kate Beckinsale, who portrayed Selene in Underworld, expressed interest in reprising her role for the sequel and the prequel.[3]
And Beckinsale was involved in RISE, wasn't she? I thought she did voiceover for it.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
Workshed
October!

The fourth film was the highest grossing, I believe, which makes this even stranger news.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
Mok
Family is Forever

Shortly after the first film's success I'm sure she meant it, but once she got popular I think she thought she was too good for it. Also Len Wiseman wasn't the director for Rise and I'm sure that played into her vested interest. And speaking of Len Wiseman, I'm not one to pass judgement, but it's hard not to when the story of them getting together is so fucking heartless. That may be where my slanted impression of Kate Beckinsale's motives originate.

I'm glad Michael Sheen has an arguably better career and is banging Sarah Silverman now!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Steel76
Maniac

Wasn't "Rise" set in a time, before Kate's character was born?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Mok
Family is Forever

You guys are assuming they planned to do an origin story for Lucien rather than Selene from the beginning. I am saying I think that they would have done Selene's origin story (which they make reference to) had Beckinsale been on board. Not only that but the way Evolution left off, I doubt they would have bothered with an origin story at all if they could have gotten her for part 3.

Last edited by Mok; 08-29-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
Workshed
October!

Mok, you're working backwards from your (unsupported) assumption.

"Kate Beckinsale didn't want to be in any more of these movies, so they made a prequel that didn't involve her."

When, in fact, a prequel was planned, she said she'd like to be involved in the prequel and was, but the story didn't involve her character (so she served as narrator). Then, when the story did involve her, she was again involved, this time in the lead role for the fourth film.

Her husband wrote RISE, so he was integral to the film's development.

Quote:
In a June 2006 interview, Wiseman said, "The third film is going to be a prequel. It will be the origin story and we find out things we didn't know about Lucian; he'll have a much bigger part in it. It will be about the creation [of the races] and what started the war. It will be a period piece. The movie will also focus for the first time through the Lycans' point of view." The director also shared, "In terms of the writing, a lot of the writing has been done. We've been developing Underworld 3 for a while. I won't be directing Underworld: Rise of the Lycans; I'm just going to be producing and writing." When asked if Kate Beckinsale would reprise her role as Selene in the prequel, Wiseman said, "It will be in the time period before, but it will overlap into the creation of her as well. We're in the process of seeing how far we go with that."[5]
Kate's involvement revolved around how much of her character would be involved. When they decided to focus more on Lucian, she wasn't as involved. I think it's a lot simpler than you are making it.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #14
Mok
Family is Forever

How does any of what you quoted prove me wrong? In fact it almost confirms what I'm saying.

In 2003 there was an idea to do a prequel after part 2.
They do part 2.
In 2006 (after part 2 is completed) decide part 3 is about Lucien's character and aren't sure about Kate Beckinsale being in it.

I don't think Len Wiseman would do an interview and say, "Well, Kate Beckinsale wants to do other kinds of movies after part 2 so part 3 is going to be about Lucien!" It sounds better to say it was all planned that way from the beginning.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
Workshed
October!

Again, you're working backwards from an assumption w/o any support, which means it's all conjecture. "Kate Beckinsale isn't in the third film, so she didn't want to do it." There is no merit here. Everyone else involved is saying the opposite, including Kate!

Tags
kate beckinsale, underworld, wet leather