Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
buck135
The Duke of New York

Dawn of the Dead German 3D Blu-ray

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dawn-O...Blu-ray/17474/

I just stumbled on this. I had no idea it was even released. There's a copy available on eBay right now that indicates that the glasses are included. Has anyone bought this? It may be worth a blind buy, however while searching for more information on this I saw that it is an edited version of the film. I'll post more info as I find it.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
blu
Stalker

I don't know anything about that German disc but I had read awhile back that Anchor Bay is planning an ultimate edition Blu-ray that may include a 3D version. Hopefully if they do include 3D, it'll be the newer style 3D instead.
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
dave13
HackMaster

is there really a market for this? converting traditionally shot movies to 3D makes about as much sense to me as colorizing B&W ones. no thank you.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
is there really a market for this? converting traditionally shot movies to 3D makes about as much sense to me as colorizing B&W ones. no thank you.
What he said. What's the point in spending money on this? The absolute best case scenario is that you won't even notice the 3-D after a few minutes. It certainly wouldn't enhance the film to any great effect, and seems like the kind of thing that's only done to part fools from their money.

Last edited by maybrick; 02-01-2011 at 02:14 PM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
The Tall Man
Stalker

Agreed about the 3D being pretty much pointless. However, I disagree with dave13 on the colorizing issue. I have recently seen the great Vincent Price in two of his greatest movies after going the through the colorization process. The Last Man on Earth and House on Haunted Hill. I have to say I enjoyed seeing them in this new way very much. I'm not saying it made the movies better, it can't, but it was a fun way to watch these classics and didn't harm them in any way.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Hellbilly
Water-squirting greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dawn-O...Blu-ray/17474/

I just stumbled on this. I had no idea it was even released. There's a copy available on eBay right now that indicates that the glasses are included. Has anyone bought this? It may be worth a blind buy, however while searching for more information on this I saw that it is an edited version of the film. I'll post more info as I find it.
yup, ofdb.de lists this Blu-ray release as cut.
Not sure which version this one is based on but they list a running time of 122 minutes. I'm guessing its the heavily censored U.S. version.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
X-human
I ate my keys

The 3D conversion of Dawn of the Dead was announced a few years ago about the time of the remake, so I'm not entirely surprised but I had hoped it would never come through.

I'd probably hear other's views on it before I'd ever bother to watch it. But I suspect 3D conversion may become more common than people think, especially as I hear there are 3D TVs out there doing it live with impressive results. Might not cost as much as we think.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

WHY???

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/687...ersion-its-way

Jesus Christ this 3D shit has got to STOP!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Converting the film has cost in the $6 million range, which is something considering the original cost around $685,000.

Yes, that really is something. I wonder if Romero was consulted at all for this? That $6 million could've been put to better use.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
soxfan666
Maniac

If it gives me a chance to see it in theaters and gets an ultimate edition release on blu then I'm happy!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
fceurich39
HackMaster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
WHY???

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/687...ersion-its-way

Jesus Christ this 3D shit has got to STOP!
if this happens I hope the ultimate edition versions in 2D will be released as well in a big dawn of the dead ultimate edition Blu-ray box set and maybe the ultimate cut 156 minute version in English. I know it is a long shot but still would be nice for Dawn fans.
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
hots4
Stalker

$6 million to convert it to 3D that's a fucking lot of money, WOW!!!!!!
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

This explains why the rights weren't given to Shout along with Day. Having a 3DTV, it doesn't hurt to know that my favorite film is being converted to 3D. I could give two shits about Top Gun, Predator, The Wizard of Oz, Titanic or any of the other 2D to 3D conversions. I am afraid that when this is released on blu-ray however, it will not be loaded with extra features. Despite owning a 3D TV, I'd much rather have all three versions of the film remastered in 1080p than converted to 3D. The question regarding this 3D release is; is the entire $6 million going to the conversion or is there some form of restoration being done as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
This explains why the rights weren't given to Shout along with Day.
Different rightsholders. Richard P. Rubenstein and his MKR Group / NAE, Inc. company holds the rights to Dawn, but Cliff MacMillan confirmed at some point that they licensed Day from Taurus Entertainment Company.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
X-human
I ate my keys

I think you're taking buck135 a little too literally zbinks. I agree with buck135 that this explains why the usually suspects didn't end up with Dawn once AB dropped it around the same time as they dropped Day (and other titles). A bunch of titles went up for grabs then. Companies like Synapse or Blue Underground aren't going to throw in the extra cash for a 3D version (even AB passed on Battle Royale in 3D). That's just a risk they're not going to take. And if the rights holders want to do a 3D release they'll keep looking. I suspect that might be why Shout ultimately underbid as well.

I'd forgotten all about the 3D conversion, so this makes me think Dawn has gone further up the food chain then we originally speculated. How far up is the question... What are some second tier studios that have put out 3D releases?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote