Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

The Gallows (2015)

Anyone planning to go see this on Friday?

The movie was made independently for dirt cheap back in 2012 under the title Stage Fright. I remember seeing the trailer back then. Last year, New Line / Blumhouse acquired the film for about $2 million, changed the name to The Gallows, and are pushing this little found-footage film into nationwide theatrical release.

I'm on the fence. Not into the whole found-footage thing, but I like the teen-slasher feel and the R-rating is definitely a plus. I might just go see it in support of R-rated teen slasher films. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but the reviews have been abysmal, so maybe I should just save my money?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Ptflea2
HackMaster

The previews I've seen tell you absolutely nothing on what the movie is about. All they do is show footage of screen testers jumping or holding their hands over their eyes in the theater........... Found footage films are wearing me out, so I'll pass.
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:03 AM   #3
othervoice1
HackMaster

I kinda want to check this out. I dont want to read much about it either - I hate knowing too much about a movie before I see it. I got some days off work coming up so maybe Ill get a chance to catch a matinee
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
soxfan666
HackMaster

I plan on going today or tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
fceurich39
HackMaster

here is a positive review I will probably wait for dvd http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews...ootage-horror/
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm going tonight, already made plans with someone so no backing out now. Thanks for posting the positive review, fceurich, a majority of the ones I've seen have been overwhelmingly negative.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Wife and I saw this earlier. Not sure why this was rated R (language I suppose?, everything else felt like something I could see on TV). But the rating doesn't matter, however, I just felt the movie was "meh." Nothing new to the sub-genre of found footage. Seems like been there, seen that. I do like some found footage movies, so don't think I'm hating on it just because of that aspect. I did appreciate it not going with a lot of "jump / loud noise" scares that many others are guilty of. I think the movie would have been better suited if they went with a traditional style rather than found footage. I just keep finding it more harder and harder to suspend disbelief with some yahoo constantly filming when they are in danger. It takes me out of the movie.

Last edited by rxfiend; 07-11-2015 at 01:32 AM.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 AM   #8
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Saw it tonight, and it's exactly what it looks like. Trailer is pretty much the movie, as it shows about 80% of the scares and all of the kills. Kills are offscreen and entirely bloodless anyway, as rxfiend mentioned I have no idea why this got an R-rating. You can tell it was shot with a PG-13 in mind.

I thought it was fairly harmless and I didn't really mind it, considering I caught the cheap $5 showing. But I definitely wouldn't recommend going to the theater for it. It's a pretty bad movie. I still thought it was more competent than some of the other found-footage dreck that somehow made it into theaters (Devil Inside, Devil's Due, all that stuff). But if you don't like found-footage, this one isn't going to win you over.

There's really only four main characters in the film, two that are somewhat likable but uninteresting and two that are shrill, obnoxious, mean, and who you can't wait to see die. Unfortunately, the later two take up most of the screentime throughout the movie. So in terms of the characters, the movie is actually pretty hard to watch.

I actually found it refreshing that the movie never bothers to address why they're filming everything, or why they don't sit the cameras down when they are being stalked. There's seriously no reason for them to be filming any of this, the movie doesn't care and never really mentions it at all. We all know the gimmick by now and we've seen enough of these to know how it works, so it really doesn't matter why they're filming it all. It was nice to see a found-footage where the dialogue doesn't consist entirely of "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHY ARE YOU FILMING THIS? PUT THE CAMERA DOWN!" "NO, WE NEED EVIDENCE!" yada yada etc. There's also a really hokey yet laughably fun twist at the end of the movie, so it doesn't just end with them all dying like every found footage movie ever does.

So, yeah, I'd say wait for cable or NetFlix, if at all. It's basically just a dumb straight-forward teen slasher movie told via found-footage. As I said, I personally didn't mind the movie, but it's still a shame that Blumhouse decided to send this into wide theatrical release, and meanwhile that same company quietly dumps the genuinely good found-footage movie Creep onto NetFlix without a whimper.