Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old Today, 10:09 PM   #1
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Favorite First-Time Viewings Of 2014 (Older Movies)

With talk about the best new release movies of 2014 starting to pop-up, I thought it might be fun to talk about our favorite first-time viewings of 2014 (doesn't matter what year the movie comes from, just as long as you'd never seen it before this year). Whether it's something you'd previously avoided, something you'd never even heard of, or something you've been meaning to see but simply never got around to it, here's the place to discuss.

This year should be especially interesting for this, since there was a lot of great titles released onto blu-ray and DVD for the first time.

My favorite first-time viewings from this year were:

3.) The Centerfold Girls (1974) - I had bought this a while ago due to Dark Sky's consistent track record, but had put off watching it because I was worried it might be a little too sleazy for my tastes. I ended up loving it, and really didn't find it that sleazy at all. I really liked the anthology structure used here, three different stories all involving the same killer (played by the wonderful Andrew Prine). The first story is the best, but they're all good fun. Great little exploitation gem. Thank you, Jackie.

2.) Shock Waves (1977) - I'm kicking myself for not watching this sooner, because it looked like it might be a little dull. But Shock Waves is anything but, thick with atmosphere and heavy on creepiness. Definitely gave me a Just Before Dawn vibe, with a little bit of Anthropophaugs thrown in for good measure. Most impressive, it manages to scare without any gore at all.

1.) Jennifer (1978) - Move over Carrie, there's a new prom queen in town. I had a blast with Jennifer, utterly won over by her hokey southern drawl and charmed by her theme song. Sandra may very well be the most diabolical high-school bitch in cinematic history. Jennifer's revenge is well earner, and the build-up to it using the Bach score is fantastic. "It's not my fault daddy, it's that damned hillbilly bitch!"
Old Today, 10:14 PM   #2
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I just watched Raw Force and loved the hell out of it!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:25 PM   #3
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

The Legend of Hell House. How did this fine film evade me all these years?
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 PM   #4
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

My Top Ten Favorites seen for the first time in 2014:

01 World War Z (2013)
02 Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)
03 Byzantium (2012)
04 You're Next (2011)
05 John Dies at the End (2012)
06 What's the Matter with Helen? (1971)
07 Amer (2009)
08 Afflicted (2013)
09 Resolution (2012)
10 13 Sins (2014)

Honorable Mention:

The Borderlands aka Final Prayer (2013) ~ Found footage that made my hands sweat.
Here Comes the Devil (2012) ~ Sick and twisted. Me liked.
Kiss of the Damned (2012) ~ Fun throwback

also:

Twirl (1981) ~ Sympathetic, sexy and above average made-for-TV drama that isn't really all that dramatic. Most likely the inspiration for Drop Dead Gorgeous.
Hot T-Shirts (1980) ~ Crap from Cannon. Worth seeking out for Corinne Alphen.
Macho Man (1985) ~ Rare German bad movie cult flick about a boxing champion and a kung fu master beating up drug dealing thugs. Strictly local / regional production lacking International flair / appeal.
The Appointment (1981) ~ Unusual British Psychological Horror-Drama.
Higher and Higher (1970) ~ Swiss exploitation about needy groupies, including hilarious cheese.

Movie Tracker 2014
Hellbilly is online now   Reply With Quote