Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
WesReviews
HackMaster

Horror Tabletop Board/Card Games

Board games have come a long way from the days of Monopoly and Life.

A lot of the time, modern games share more in common with tabletop RPG's than they do stuff like Candyland or Clue.

One of my favorite modern board games is a zombie game called LAST NIGHT ON EARTH...

Don't let the super cheesy "real people" artwork on the box put you off (that's just a trademark of the company that produces the game). The game can get really intense!

Each player is given a character, with certain special abilities. Each round, new zombies spawn and you move your characters around the town, trying to accomplish an objective (for example, one scenario may have you looking around the various buildings trying to find a gas can to fill up a truck so you can leave town). You can kill zombies or run away. One player plays as the zombies, so it's his/her objective to move them closer to all the other players. You draw cards which give you special weapons or other items to use.

The panels of the board are put together before the game. There are several different ones that come together to form the board, so that no two games are ever exactly the same.

I highly recommend this one! There have even been a couple of expansions released for it, that offers new board layout pieces to use and new characters and items.

Anyone else played this one? What are some of your favorite horror-themed board and card games?

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Anaestheus
HackMaster

If you are looking for more, I started a thread a while ago that I've been updating from time to time.

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showt...ighlight=board
Anaestheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
WesReviews
HackMaster

Awesome! My bad! I don't often visit the Off Topic section.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
Old 04-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Awesome! My bad! I don't often visit the Off Topic section.
No worries mate. Not trying to be territorial. Just enthused to pass on info to another board gamer. Over the past couple of years, this has really become my dominant hobby so I'm just excited to have a new person to share with.

Since you like the zombie games, have you heard of Dead of Winter yet? It's hard to get at a reasonable price right now as the copies keep selling out, so I haven't player it yet. But the reviews have been great and the publishers are continually printing more, so it doesn't seem like it's going out of print.

And if you really want to go nuts, take a look at Cthulhu Wars. I'll probably never own that one but, damn, I wish I could afford it.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
WesReviews
HackMaster

I haven't played Cthulhu Wars or Dead of Winter yet. Really wanting to try Dead of Winter ever since I saw Wil Wheaton play it on TableTop.

Speaking of ones I wish I could afford... SHADOWS OF BRIMSTONE.

The old west meets Cthulu. Definitely looks like fun!

Last edited by WesReviews; 04-21-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
And if you really want to go nuts, take a look at Cthulhu Wars. I'll probably never own that one but, damn, I wish I could afford it.
Noble Knight Games has been selling it for a slight discount, $159.95. Until the end of the month you can get 10% off that with the code PAST10 (might require having ordered from them in the past).

Amazon has it for $169.99 (third party seller with a good reputation on Amazon, but their name seems to match that of an established outfit with a questionable reputation in the Kickstarter community).

Lastly Cardhaus had a blow out sale of it on Tabletop day for $129.99, and it didn't last long.

From descriptions, the game has some slight similarity to Chaos in the Old World, which is a game I highly recommend for the "play Risk with an evil slant" crowd.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
WesReviews
HackMaster

Not the most strategic and "heavy" of games out there, but I've been having some fun with both ZOMBIE DICE and CHUPACABRA as of late.

Zombie Dice is a press your luck dice game where you try to roll as many brains as you can without getting shot-gunned 3 times.

Chupacabra is a dice game where each round, one player takes on the roll of the blood-thirsty chupacabra and tries to eat the other players' goats, cows and chickens that are rolled on the dice. Once you lose all your dice, you're out of the game (but it's not a terribly long game, so player elimination isn't really a huge deal).

A couple of fun quick ones if you want something light, family-friendly and quick.

Last edited by WesReviews; 04-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaestheus View Post
Since you like the zombie games, have you heard of Dead of Winter yet? It's hard to get at a reasonable price right now as the copies keep selling out, so I haven't player it yet. But the reviews have been great and the publishers are continually printing more, so it doesn't seem like it's going out of print.

Expensive board games? Are these limited or something? What's so special about them. I'll check it out tonight. I remember the old ones but I haven't played these new horror ones before.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #9
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Expensive board games? Are these limited or something? What's so special about them. I'll check it out tonight. I remember the old ones but I haven't played these new horror ones before.
The deal with games like these, which are usually called "designer games", is that they are printed in small runs by relatively small companies. So they can get very expensive and go out of print really easily unless they get picked up by one of the larger game publishers. I started moderately collecting games about 4 years ago and now own around 50. Of those, nearly half are out of print now.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:47 AM   #10
Anaestheus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Speaking of ones I wish I could afford... SHADOWS OF BRIMSTONE.

The old west meets Cthulu. Definitely looks like fun!
Yeah, I've been eyeballing those Brimstone games as well. I find that I really haven't liked that many of Flying Frog's games that much, with Last Night on Earth being their best. They have too much dice rolling for my tastes, particularly at the climax. And they really require that you are playing with some people who can really get into the theme and some of the silliness that results from their game mechanics. So, I've been waiting for these ones to get reviewed by some more reviewers that I trust or else try to manipulate one of my friends to get it first.

But they do look like a lot of fun. There is a TableTop episode on the similarly structured "Fortune and Glory" and that looked like they had a blast.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:32 AM   #11
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Haven't played in ages but I have the first edition of this and LOVE it!! Never have picked up the expansion packs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N5T...PSL&ref=plSrch
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 AM   #12
x666x
HackMaster

I have the first edition of the ZOMBIES!!! board game as well and also highly recommend it. I also have most of the expansion packs but find that that the core game is highly entertaining and time consuming enough.

All of the games above look really cool. Played Zombie Dice before and it is fine for a more casual gaming experience. Would love to try the others.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote