Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Halloween -cTen Recommendations for this October

This is not ten horror (or horror themed) films that I love in order, it's just ten films I recommend to watch for Halloween this year from my own collection. You can be certain I'll watch several (if not all) of these on in the build up to Halloween and one for sure on Halloween. I'm not expecting everyone or even anyone to agree with my list but the mood I'm in right now these will be the ones I will watch this October.

10. The Amityville Horror (2005)

I know opinion on this one is mixed but I loved it and felt it was a big improvement over the original which I always felt was rather dull.

9. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

The one without Michael Myers indeed but possibly the one that carries the Halloween holiday spirit like no other in the series.

8. Fright Night (1985)

One of my all-time favourite movies, this is the one I picked that's both scary and fun.

7. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

The Friday that has a more gothic feel than any of the others, hence why I think it suits the Halloween feel that bit more.

6. Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn

My favourite of the series, it brilliantly balances both horror and humour, whereas the two either side were pure horror and pure comedy in my opinion.

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

How can you not pick the true classic of this series, the first one is the only one that genuinely scary. Robert. Englund whilst still funny at times came off truly menacing here and I'm not sure he achieved that again in the series.

4. Scream

As usual with any franchise the first one is the best and this is definitely the case where Scream is concerned. It's a beautiful mish mash of cliches, rip offs etc and the opening with Drew Barrymore is one of Horrors greatest openings to a movie.

3. Hocus Pocus

You know you want a fun horror film that you can happily sit and watch with the family. Well this is it, it's such a great film to watch especially in October. Infact. I might make this my daytime Halloween film.

2. Trick 'r Treat

The one that out does Halloween III in truly capturing the feel for the holiday. I'm not sure there's a more perfect film to watch on Halloween to be honest. It gets the feel spot on and the stories are so cool and enjoyable. A rare modern film that has become an instant classic.

1. Halloween (1978)

The greatest horror film of all time in my opinion and a perfect film to watch on Halloween or even in the build up to it. I was going to go for the sequel but I think this year I'll watch the original again. Music and atmosphere put this above the rest, John Carpenter at his best.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Favourite Horror Trilogy: Hatchet Trilogy
Bobbywoodhogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

#1 and #9 are two of my favorites. A good list!
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Mok
HackMaster

I have Halloween 3 in queue to watch this year. Looking forward to revisiting that one for sure.

Amityville 2005 huh? Only saw it once and didn't mind it, but wasn't something that stood out. Guess I'll have to re-watch it at some point.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I'm going to ignore the Halloween movies here, just because they go without saying, but ten quick Halloween favorites of mine would be:

10.) Hollow Gate (huge guilty pleasure)
9.) Lightning Bug
8.) Ginger Snaps
7.) Dark Night Of The Scarecrow
6.) Lady In White
5.) Hocus Pocus
4.) Idle Hands
3.) Trick 'r Treat
2.) The Midnight Hour
1.) Night Of The Demons and Night Of The Demons 2
Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I'm going to ignore the Halloween movies here, just because they go without saying, but ten quick Halloween favorites of mine would be:

10.) Hollow Gate (huge guilty pleasure)
9.) Lightning Bug
8.) Ginger Snaps
7.) Dark Night Of The Scarecrow
6.) Lady In White
5.) Hocus Pocus
4.) Idle Hands
3.) Trick 'r Treat
2.) The Midnight Hour
1.) Night Of The Demons and Night Of The Demons 2
I always liked the Midnight Hour, that bit where they just break into song is a little weird though ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
#1 and #9 are two of my favorites. A good list!
Nice and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mok View Post
I have Halloween 3 in queue to watch this year. Looking forward to revisiting that one for sure.

Amityville 2005 huh? Only saw it once and didn't mind it, but wasn't something that stood out. Guess I'll have to re-watch it at some point.
Honestly I liked Amityville 2005 a lot more than the original but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

---

I know some of my choices were obvious but I think some years the obvious choices are the best ones to watch. These are from my personal collection.

1. Halloween (1978), 2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, 3. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), 5. Fright Night (1985)

Last edited by Bobbywoodhogan; 09-15-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Anyone who hasn't should check out The WNUF Halloween Special which is a Camp Motion Pictures release and sold exclusively through alternativecinema.com. Essential Halloween viewing especially for those who grew up watching TV in the 80's.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
Bobbywoodhogan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
Anyone who hasn't should check out The WNUF Halloween Special which is a Camp Motion Pictures release and sold exclusively through alternativecinema.com. Essential Halloween viewing especially for those who grew up watching TV in the 80's.
Never heard of it, what's it about?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
Never heard of it, what's it about?
From alternativecinema.com:

"For decades, obscure film collectors and lovers of esoteric cinema have sought it... Finally, the search is over… Originally broadcast live on October 31, 1987, the "WNUF Halloween Special" is a stunning expose of terrifying supernatural activity that unfolded at the infamous Webber House, the site of ghastly murders. Local television personality Frank Stewart leads a group of paranormal investigators including Catholic exorcist, Father Joseph Matheson and the prolific husband-and-wife team Louis and Claire Berger. Together, the experts explore the darkest corners of the supposedly haunted Webber House, trying to prove the existence of the demonic entities within. Did they find the horrific truth or simply put superstitious rumors to rest?

"It's a legendary broadcast. Even though most collectors haven't even seen it, they've heard about it. With each passing year its cult status grows." - Robin Bougie, Cinema Sewer

"Holy crap - I remember this airing when I was a kid! Craziest thing I\'ve ever seen on live TV!" - Eduardo Sanchez, co-creator of The Blair Witch Project

"Hands down, THE most controversial real-life horror show ever allowed on the air. In the days before the Internet, you\'d never seen anything so weird. Can't even remember who sent the tape to me now, but I must have copied it at least fifty times for my friends and their friends. You'd sit there and try to explain to them that this really happened and most of them would just stare right back in stunned shock. Gives me nightmares to this day." --Stephen Romano, author of “Shock Festival” and “Resurection Express”

Trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u5iCF2Ltjlk

The less you know going into it, the better.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 09-15-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Mikey Horror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Mok
HackMaster

Whoa! That looks so authentic. I had to look up the wiki to realize it wasn't. Really great job of capturing that look and feel. Going to check it out for sure!
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

What's even better is it even has fake 80's style commercials thrown in which feel incredibly authentic. I've yet to see anything that captures that 80's TV feel like this does. I don't think a Halloween will go by where I won't watch this. Captures the mood perfectly.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

direct link to the DVD--I really want to see this!
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
Franco
Weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbywoodhogan View Post
2. Trick 'r Treat

The one that out does Halloween III in truly capturing the feel for the holiday. I'm not sure there's a more perfect film to watch on Halloween to be honest. It gets the feel spot on and the stories are so cool and enjoyable. A rare modern film that has become an instant classic.
Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
What's even better is it even has fake 80's style commercials thrown in which feel incredibly authentic. I've yet to see anything that captures that 80's TV feel like this does. I don't think a Halloween will go by where I won't watch this. Captures the mood perfectly.
any idea what the run time is? thanks. $23 for a blind buy is kinda brutal.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Runtime is 83 minutes.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

Quote:
Runtime is 83 minutes.
thank you. Gonna blind buy this and surprise my friends next month. Appreciate the recommendation!