Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Brazil (1985) Criterion Blu-ray - 12/4/12

Finally! I never upgraded to the Anamorphic Criterion DVD reissue release, so this is a definite buy for me.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brazil-Blu-ray/39343/

Quote:
In the dystopic masterpiece Brazil, Jonathan Pryce plays a daydreaming everyman who finds himself caught in the soul-crushing gears of a nightmarish bureaucracy. This cautionary tale by Terry Gilliam, one of the great films of the 1980s, now ranks alongside antitotalitarian works by the likes of George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr. And in terms of set design, cinematography, music, and effects, Brazil, a nonstop dazzler, stands alone.

Special Features:
  • Restored high-definition digital transfer of Terry Gilliam's 142-minute director's cut, supervised by Gilliam, with DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 surround soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
  • Audio commentary by Terry Gilliam
  • What Is "Brazil"?, a thirty-minute on-set documentary by Rob Hedden
  • The Battle of "Brazil": A Video History, a sixty-minute documentary by author and film writer Jack Mathews about the controversy surrounding the film's release
  • The "Love Conquers All" version of Brazil, a ninety-four-minute cut of the film produced by the studio in an attempt to make it more commercial, with commentary by Brazil expert David Morgan
  • The Production Notebook, a collection of supplements featuring a trove of Brazil-iana from Gilliam's personal collection: a short documentary on the screenplay, featuring interviews with screenwriters Gilliam, Charles McKeown, and Tom Stoppard; Gilliam's storyboards for unfilmed dream sequences, animated and narrated by Morgan; visual essays on the film's production design and special effects; a visual essay on Brazil's costumes, narrated by costume designer James Acheson; and interviews with Gilliam and composer Michael Kamen on the score
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by Jack Matthews on the DVD edition and a booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Sterritt on the Blu-ray edition

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Awesome! Glad I held off on buying the 3 disc set for so long. This Blu will probably have a list price of nearly half the amount of the 3 disc DVD.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
buck135
The Duke of New York

Oh my god. I still own the 3 disc version as well as the anamorphic disc. When Universal released the blu-ray last year I had almost given up hope that this day would come. Awesome, awesome news!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Pre-order now up:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Heads up that Amazon currently has the pre-order price lowered to $20.99, which is 58% off the SRP.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I wasn't going to upgrade since I have the old set in addition to the anamorphic disc, plus it's a film I don't see myself rewatching very often, but at this price I just have to get it.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I cancelled my first pre-order for this on Amazon and ordered it again for $20 when I heard about it! I also got It's A Spongebob Christmas and a Heathcliff DVD to make it near the original price when I first ordered the Blu-ray for $34.99. Smart of me, isn't it?

This will go nicely with my Universal Theatrical Cut disc.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
Nailwraps
HackMaster

DVDBeaver review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/brazil.htm
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Dave
Pimp

I bought my Criterion 16x9 DVD for $20 and have watched it once. I would like to explore the extras but since they are mostly from the laserdisc era, I'm sure they are SD. I truly consider every blu purchase these days but I'm going to bite on this one. I would like to rematch the movie in HD.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Dave
Pimp

I bought my Criterion 16x9 DVD for $20 and have watched it once. I would like to explore the extras but since they are mostly from the laserdisc era, I'm sure they are SD. I truly consider every blu purchase these days but I'm going to bite on this one. I would like to rematch the movie in HD.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Blu-ray.com review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brazil.../39343/#Review

Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Matt89
HackMaster

Typical blu-ray.com negativity. I'm sure the transfer is beautiful. Asked for this for Christmas. Can't wait.

~Matt
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Brazil is probably my favorite movie by Gilliam. I too asked for this for Christmas. Time Bandits is another Gilliam movie I love. Too bad that isn't available from Criterion on Blu. I missed out on Criterion's dvd release of Time Bandits. I've heard awful things about the 2010 Blu-ray of Time Bandits.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
buck135
The Duke of New York

The "Time Bandits" blu-ray is 1080i.

Tags
brazil, terry gilliam