Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
Body Boy
HackMaster

Buddy Cooper reminds me of Joe Giannone who directed Madman. They both treat their slasher films with love and respect. Sometimes I make a mistake and refer to Buddy Cooper as the director of MM, as they're so similar.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I think the unusable elements rumor was debunked a while ago. There's a video on YouTube where you can see the prints in Buddy Cooper's garage.

He also commented that the foreign releases are unofficial bootlegs. He may be talking about the Vipco release, not sure about the Dragon DVD. So if that's true, then this is the first official DVD/blu-ray release.
In that interview he only mentions that the UK (Vipco) version is pirated.
Well, Vipco is known to be bootlegers.

Well, sure he has prints, but we don´t the state they´re in.
And IMO not the best storage conditions.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
fceurich39
HackMaster

on facebook code red is claiming they are under contract for 3 years that this release isnt gonna happen just like the POPCORN debacle if so damn code red to hell!!! i always thought buddy cooper had total control of the rights and that he took the rights back from code red hence why it never came out???
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #19
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I don't mind this film. I'll pick up the blu if it comes out.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #20
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I'm hoping this is actually true and not just another group of people "wishing" it were. Now I'll never believe anything Bill claims anymore. Why is he still withholding Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker? He's spending alot of time (and money) focusing on new acquisitions while stuff he announced years ago have still not been released, including MUTILATOR.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #21
Body Boy
HackMaster

I want this to be true, but the original artwork not being used, yet a reproduction will be, added with the Code Red debate, I'm so worried that this is a bootleg. I don't know what to think at the moment. People love to slam Code Red, but until we all have the facts, I'm not going to attack either CR or TV. This is one that we will have to watch and wait out for the moment.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #22
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Who releases a bootleg on Blu Ray? CodeRed was definitely in a legal debate with someone else but whom that was never really was revealed. I can only assume everything is finally coming to fruition.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Even if Code Red does own the rights and it is legally classified as a "bootleg", it sounds like the director is involved with this release. I have no problem supporting that, especially since The Mutilator was such a homegrown production to begin with.

And if it is a blu-ray sourced from a film print, then I'm doubly okay with supporting this.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Here's an update on Titan Video's Facebook:

Quote:
Important update. Please read.

I never thought I'd see the day where I get hated for doing what I love. For Christsake, I've been working on Titan Video for almost 3 years, and a bunch of random people are going to tell me that I'm a bootlegger or that my releases are illegal? If I had a knife, I'd be VERY tempted to use it.

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, Code Red hasn't done anything with The Mutilator. Period. Despite this contract they seem to be lying on. I was told by a friend that the film was up for grabs. I don't think this friend would lie to me, but if it doesn't work out, I will publicly apologize to Bill of Code Red, and to all of the horror community. But right now, at this moment, I am planning to pursue this release. If there are legal issues that get in my way, then I will cease my ingress. I am an honest person, and it's infuriating when random ass people on the internet spew forth things that might not be true. Rest assured, I am looking into this matter as we speak.
Hmm, I'm not sure what to think now...

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
ArrowBeach
HackMaster

on the facebook page, the guy at Titan answered in regards to the quality of the material

"The 35mm print is available, the unusable material are the scenes that were cut out. They will be in the DVD and Blu-Ray, but the quality will obviously be poorer in those scenes."

So it sounds like to me the uncut footages do not exist in 35mm format, which sorta is what Code Red was saying? And sounds like this is from a print, not a negative or anything, and on the BluRay, they are going to then insert all the cut stuff from a tape master then, since Don May posted (which seem to prove Bill is correct that at the time, there was no film elements)

"Don May Jr - Awesome news! I remember when the licensors came to us YEARS ago and wanted us to do it. The problem was, all they had for the uncut version were the old 3/4" U-Matic and 1" masters, which would suck, so we passed on it. If TITAN is doing a Blu, then I wonder what they are using?"

Not sure what to make of all this.
ArrowBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
foller
Stalker

Here is what Bill wrote about this matter some time ago, taken from the Code Red blog:

OLD NEWS FOR THE MUTILATOR (for people who forgot)
There have been some 2ND hand statements and slanderous lies posted on few message boards regarding CODE RED and the motion picture THE MUTILATOR. Here is the truth once again to set the records straight.

(1) CODE RED has a valid contract with Buddy Cooper on the film.

(2) Mr. Cooper told us that he had the negative and prints in New York, but later we realized that the place was gone. Buddy used his assistant to search for it, only to come up empty handed.

(3) Buddy did find a 3/4 inch tape (I recall the R cut), but this is unusable for today's standards for a DVD release. 3/4 will look worse than your old VHS Vestron Tape and most likely will not play since it has had a 15 year lifespan.

(4) A youtube video poped up with Buddy showing a storage shack with some 35mm cans in the background. I talked to Buddy and he told me it was empty. He did find some trims and some trailers which we sent to a Los Angeles lab (the one Something Weird used). The 35mm trailer was damaged due to poor storage/weather conditions after 25 years. If there had been a 35mm print inside, it would most likely also be damaged/beyond repair.

(5) Rumor circled around that Movielab New York had the negatives. Cliff MacMillan of BCI personally asked Mike Vraney of Something Weird and he didn't have it. It was not at Movielab. Since then, many print collectors and film storage people were contacted. Nothing.

We can't understand why so many people spew slanderous lies about us regarding this film. We have mentioned these facts countless times, but it seems we might have to put this bulletin out once a year. If Buddy has a 35mm usable print, he never told us or delivered it to us. This is the 2011 bulletin. Come back next year to probably see the same bulletin all over again. This is what we have on the table, nothing else.

Link:
http://codereddvdblog.blogspot.de/se...&by-date=false
foller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Personally, I don't really care who holds the rights or whatever. I just want to see a quality release of the film, hopefully sourced from a good quality film print and hopefully also on Blu-ray.

Unfortunately this sounds like the Popcorn rights situation, and we the fans will probably suffer for it.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Unfortunately this sounds like the Popcorn rights situation, and we the fans will probably suffer for it.
And Code Red still hasn't released Popcorn either.

If they sabotage this release too, then I'm done with them. Even if they do legally own the rights, they're not doing anything with it.

That said, it does sound like Titan Video might have jumped the gun with their announcement. From the Facebook comments, he sounds like he is taking their word that the 35mm print is available and usable, but he hasn't actually seen the elements yet.

Last edited by CPT HOOK; 09-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
And Code Red still hasn't released Popcorn either.

If they sabotage this release too, then I'm done with them. Even if they do legally own the rights, they're not doing anything with it.

That said, it does sound like Titan Video might have jumped the gun with their announcement. From the Facebook comments, he sounds like he is taking their word that the 35mm print is available and usable, but he hasn't actually seen the elements yet.

Same thing Code Red did - jump the gun. You'd think people would learn by now not to say anything until everything is signed, sealed and INSPECTED. Sometimes it's better not knowing anything until a week or two before the actual street date.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

It sounds like Buddy wants The Mutilator released, but doesn't understand his film elements are in terrible condition. So he just shops it around until a stalemate is reached due to unusable elements and moves on to another releasing company ignoring contractual aggreements and criticisms.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to side with Code Red on this one. Bill has been in the game for more than 3 years. If Mutilator was OK to release I am sure he would have released it as it would have been one of Code Red's more profitable releases.

Secondly, we all know Bill gets aggressive with internet trolls, but he has yet to threaten suicide. Use a knife? I can't beleive that TV guy opens his statememt with that...you're in the business of releasing Z-grade movies...get over yourself.

I hope The Mutilator gets released, hell it deserves to be, but just like the Popcorn BD, this sounds like a pipedream.

Last edited by Chomp; 09-22-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote