Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
fceurich39
HackMaster

Code Red better not stop this release heck Popcorn and Butcher Baker still aint out yet either
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #32
Body Boy
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
It sounds like Buddy wants The Mutilator released, but doesn't understand his film elements are in terrible condition. So he just shops it around until a stalemate is reached due to unusable elements and moves on to another releasing company ignoring contractual aggreements and criticisms.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to side with Code Red on this one. Bill has been in the game for more than 3 years. If Mutilator was OK to release I am sure he would have released it as it would have been one of Code Red's more profitable releases.

Secondly, we all know Bill gets aggressive with internet trolls, but he has yet to threaten suicide. Use a knife? I can't beleive that TV guy opens his statememt with that...you're in the business of releasing Z-grade movies...get over yourself.

I hope The Mutilator gets released, hell it deserves to be, but just like the Popcorn BD, this sounds like a pipedream.
^ This.

People need to stop looking through "Code Red Hate Glasses", and look at the facts.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to side with Code Red on this one. Bill has been in the game for more than 3 years. If Mutilator was OK to release I am sure he would have released it as it would have been one of Code Red's more profitable releases.
If only that were true. Bill is more likely to sit on a popular title than release it.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #34
Body Boy
HackMaster

Bill wasn't sitting on The Mutilator, he has said countless times that there are no usable elements for it. People cannot seem to get that through their heads.

Bill sitting on Night Warning for five years is another story. 2007-2010 was understandable though.

But with this Mutilator stuff, Chomp hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Bill wasn't sitting on The Mutilator, he has said countless times that there are no usable elements for it. People cannot seem to get that through their heads.

Bill sitting on Night Warning for five years is another story. 2007-2010 was understandable though.

But with this Mutilator stuff, Chomp hit the nail on the head.
I don't buy the whole "unusuable elements" excuse because of this: it hasn't stopped Code Red from releasing DVD's that were sourced from poor elements before.

Exterminators of the Year 3000 and others were released in Pan & Scan from poor elements. The Cheering Section DVD has one of the worst transfers I've ever seen on a DVD.

Even the German DVD of The Mutilator looks better than some Code Red releases. It's not like the only source available for the film is some 10th generation VHS tape.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #36
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

If I'm not mistaken, sometimes people don't just license movies, but often transfers as well, and I honestly have no idea how that all works. I seem to recall something like that happening with Chopping Mall.

But even if the film elements are unusable, is there any reason they couldn't just source it from the laserdisc? I'm assuming that is what Dragon did, and I imagine it's a step above the VHS / tape masters. Perfectly watchable, and the laserdisc is unrated if I'm not mistaken. I haven't actually seen the laserdisc to comment though. I'm sure if this was an option, they would have thought of this by now. At least I'd like to think so.

35mm would be ideal, but if there truly are no usable elements, I would still like to own the film on disc. Code Red has released films in fullscreen before (The Carrier). I'm sure Bill would say that he won't release it because fans will be in an uproar over a below par transfer, but he could easily avoid that by doing what Scorpion does. Just let the fans know what they're getting ahead of time, like with American Nightmare, Incubus, etc.

I'm not suggesting they just throw it onto disc as cheaply as possible, just that if they absolutely have no film elements then do the best you can with what you've got.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #37
ArrowBeach
HackMaster

Well judging from Don Mays post, Buddy Cooper tried to offer MUTILATOR to Synapse, but Don looked at the material and all they had was old 3/4 inch tape, so Chomp saying Buddy doesnt seem to understand about elements seem to be true here.
ArrowBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #38
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I haven't seen these "unusable elements" and I doubt anyone posting in this thread has either...and it doesn't even sound like this new releasing company has viewed them yet. But Don May has and passed and Bill has and he has indefinitely postponed his release. There has to be more to the story than just releasing it for the sake of releasing it.

I just don't think the profit is inticing enough for Bill to slap it on a disc and call it a day. This was one of Code Red's earliest announced titles...I imagine Bill has quite a few bucks already invested into this project and releasing a subpar quality disc doesn't gaurantee Code Red will recoup its funds...especially when an equal quality transfer is readily available already to download or purchase from bootleggers for half the price.

The case with Nightmare seems like Bill released it to shut people up...he's already said he'd never make a profit on that release. And Exterminators was probably a licensing package deal...which probably he could afford to release it in subpar conditions.

The Mutilator is different with a bigger fanbase. I think it deserves the best treatment available and if that means waiting 10 more years I am fine with that. Till then my Vestron tape or DragonDVD will suffice.

Last edited by Chomp; 09-22-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #39
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I've never seen The Mutilator before, but I was randomly clicking around on my Roku box and saw a channel called Drive-In Classics. They have a bunch of older sci-fi and horror movies streaming for free. A lot are public domain, but I was surprised by some of the things I saw on there such as The Mutilator, Devil Times Five, and Cellar Dweller. I'll definitely have to give The Mutilator a watch to see if I want to pick up its eventual DVD release.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #40
booper71
HackMaster

Epix HD is great on Roku, dont forget to check out the 2012 version of Attack of the 50ft Cheerleader.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #41
WesReviews
HackMaster

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Code Red do a rush job and release a really terrible quality version of this just to block Titan.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #42
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

?

I can't see Bill doing that....no, not at all.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
Body Boy
HackMaster

Logically based on what we all know of Bill, that makes no sense. To spite someone by releasing inferior product despite believing that it won't sell well? I doubt he'd do something like that.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #44
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Code Red do a rush job and release a really terrible quality version of this just to block Titan.
Rituals was one of those titles Madman Bill refused to release because of bad materials and in the end it was miles ahead of any version available.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #45
Steel76
Maniac

Yeah, I was surprised by how good Ritual actually looked.
I donīt mind scratches, dirt or print damage as long as itīs from a 16mm or 35mm source, and not a fuzzy and dark VHS transfer.