Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Slashers

Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #31
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I opened mine up mainly because the DVD was loose in the case

No inserts, but is indeed a real DVD and dual-layer as well. The DVD goes right to a menu screen with no frills offering 'play movie', 'scene selections' and 'special features'. No music or silly animation - just our killer in a slaying pose.

The presentation itself is definitely from whatever master they had and not a VHS rip as far as I can tell, not that it's the greatest video quality I've ever seen by any means either. I think it's the best it's gonna get though. I'm not sure what the aspect ratio is, but it's non-anamorphic and somewhere in between 1:78:1 and 2:35:1 - stretched out with thin black bars.

I can't compare it to my old VHS rip because for whatever reason I can't get the old DVD to play for the life of me, but I do recall my older version being pretty crappy. Definitely worth the upgrade, but I'm going to try an get another copy or some sort of refund for the scratchy swirls received from a loose disc.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #32
horrorscreamer
Victim

Any chance of some screens? =)
horrorscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #33
SickNick89
Stalker

Just popped in my dvd and the first thing I noticed is that there is a new title sequence using scenes from the movie. I plan on watching the movie today and will post if there are any other changes.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #34
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I got mine earlier today, and my disc arrived secure and was not loose. The opening sequence and the end credits do appear to be newer, and there's a copyright date of 2010 at the end of the movie. Maybe somebody else who is more knowledgeable about the film can say if anything else is changed.

But overall it's a pretty nice DVD. It does comes factory sealed, the coverart is normal paper...not cheap thin paper, and as stated before the disc is real (not a DVD-R)

The transfer looks good and appears to be from a film source, although it's not 16x9 enhanced.

I haven't really had a chance to check out the bonus features, but the making-of is 45+ minutes

Here's some random screenshots:

The transfer really looks better than those screenshots suggest. Besides it not being 16x9, there's not much to complain about.

I recommend it. I probably watched the film about 20 years ago, and it holds up well and is definitely fun.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 AM   #35
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I spoke with the distributor. They said I could send back the scratched DVD along with a paper sleeve and hard case, and they would ship me a new one plus $3 for me to ship it back which is cool. He basically said the scratches from it being loose shouldn't affect playback, but I said regardless when I pay $21 for a DVD I expect it to be pretty flawless
Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #36
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I watched it tonight too. I think the opening credits were 1.85:1, then when the movie starts it switches to 1.78:1. I could be wrong though, maybe I imagined it.

The making-of was a nice extra, but it really didn't offer anything mind-blowing. It was filmed entirely during production, so it isn't a retrospective. They interview just about everyone from the crew, who blandly tell them their job ("I'm a grip, and I carry things." "I'm the electrician, and I set-up the electricity", etc). At 45 minutes, you'd expect it to be clip-heavy, but there are barely any clips from the movie. I was surprised by how much behind the scenes footage was shot for such a little production, and it is edited together well with the interviews. They show them setting up and filming the climatic car chase / explosion, the little girls decapitation at the beginning, etc. And Mutilated, you'll be happy to know that the actor who plays Hanks is actually named Hanks in real life (last name) and says that he is basically playing himself.

The music-video for the song's title track was pretty fun too. It wasn't entirely just clips from the movie either, it has the actual performer singing from the porch of the "House Of Horrors".

Anyways, fun disc, fun movie. This was my first time seeing it. It starts out pretty slow, but the last 20 minutes were great. I loved the ending. Too bad HauntedWeen II (which is promised after the credits) probably isn't going to happen.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #37
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
the little girl's decapitation at the beginning, etc.
Oh, and I should add that this little shot didn't make it into the actual movie (probably because it looks extremely fake). So I guess there's a deleted scene in there too.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
SickNick89
Stalker

There is also some newly shot footage added into the opening credits sequence.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #39
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
And Mutilated, you'll be happy to know that the actor who plays Hanks is actually named Hanks in real life (last name) and says that he is basically playing himself.
Not surprised - I don't know if you could make that accent up. I like how he is plural Hanks
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #40
MorallySound
There is no magic.

My copy finally showed up in the mail today. Popped it in over supper. Low-budget fun featuring clichéd but humourous college-aged characters, including Hanks who has the worst/best Kentucky accent ever, HauntedWeen doesn't take itself too seriously but still manages to develop a subplot involving relationship drama that's more serious than most rom-coms. HauntedWeen contains some creative kills including a dude's head being knocked off via a baseball bat after a baseball is shoved down his throat and an explosive finale that's hilarious unexpected. The acting is bad, but not half bad, and although the film does drag quite a bit in the middle the final set piece at the haunted house more than makes up for the price of admission. A lost classic that hopefully now gets re-discovered by slasher and horror fans.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #41
Dobby
HackMaster

Mutilated Penis did you get your replacement update??
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #42
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Mutilated Penis did you get your replacement update??
I decided to forego the return. I watched everything straight through without issues. Not worth the hassle just for cosmetic reason to me. They were really nice about it however, so if anyone had an issue I wouldn't hesitate to contact them.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #43
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
I decided to forego the return. I watched everything straight through without issues. Not worth the hassle just for cosmetic reason to me. They were really nice about it however, so if anyone had an issue I wouldn't hesitate to contact them.
Yeah as long as it's plays i usually don't care much. I'm usually more concerned if the disc looks rotted. Crappy artwork thin DVD case just not feeling it at all. I'm still up in the air about ordering this will wait for a price drop.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #44
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Yeah agreed - It's actually a normal size DVD case.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #45
crikan
HackMaster

Is there some quality T&A in this flick?
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote