Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's your favorite 4th film in a franchise?
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master 9 8.82%
Amityville: The Evil Escapes 0 0%
Bride of Chucky 7 6.86%
Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering 1 0.98%
Frankenstein Created Woman 3 2.94%
Ernest Scared Stupid 2 1.96%
Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter 54 52.94%
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers 12 11.76%
Hellraiser: Bloodline 1 0.98%
House of Frankenstein 0 0%
Land of the Dead 4 3.92%
Paranormal Activity 4 0 0%
Phantasm OblIVion 1 0.98%
Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil 0 0%
Psycho IV: The Beginning 1 0.98%
Saw IV 2 1.96%
Scre4m 2 1.96%
The Final Destination 1 0.98%
The Mummy's Curse 1 0.98%
Zombi 4: After Death 1 0.98%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
buck135
The Duke of New York

Great thread Rhett. I struggled with this one. Finally went with "Friday the 13th 4" over "Nightmare 4." DVD-fanatic-9 makes some good points about the characters in "The Final Chapter," but I'll take them over the fire-urinating dog, Tuesday Knight and invisible kung-fu battle.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
rhett, i've gotta question not including frankenstein created woman in the official list. I like dracula has risen from the grave quite a bit, but i think frankenstein created woman is a better film.
"Hans!!!"
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

The Final Chapter, no contest.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #19
Chunkblower
Stalker

Psycho IV: The Beginning.

Probably the best made for TV franchise film, one of the best prequels and about a billion times better than it needed or had any right to be. Fantastic performances from Perkins, Thomas and Hussey. An under recognized gem in every way possible.

Garris power!
Chunkblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
Erick H.
HackMaster

Since the FRANKENSTEIN series from Hammer was excluded I will go with their Dracula outing DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE.Lee is very imposing,Freddie Francis gives the film a lush,colorful look and the staking scene is a doozy ! Great fun for Hammerheads !
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
JGrendel
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
i agree, i think the characters in The Final Chapter were all pretty enjoyable. Even somebody like Teddy is dick, but a likable dick. The twins don't have much screen time, and therefore not much of a personality, and Sam and her boyfriend (can't remember his name) also suffer from a lack of development, but otherwise the characters are actually pretty good in that film. I liked Rob a lot too, and his death is one of the more impactful ones in the series.
Yeah I went with The Final Chapter too.
He's Killing Me!!!! He's Killing Me!!!!
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkblower View Post
Psycho IV: The Beginning.

Probably the best made for TV franchise film, one of the best prequels and about a billion times better than it needed or had any right to be. Fantastic performances from Perkins, Thomas and Hussey. An under recognized gem in every way possible.
I used to feel that way but, the years have soured me on it. The music and acting are great. CCH Pounder always upmarkets a movie, Perkins is of course wonderful, and Olivia Hussey gets to join the Hag Horror ranks. (A remarkable switch from the youthful, swanlike heroin she played in Black Christmas- in fact, is she maybe the only actress who's ever played both extremes?). But... there has never been (to my knowledge) a great film which looked back on how a child who became a killer became screwed up. At least 50% of the flashbacks register as padding.

Garris does have style, though. I think a lot of people under-recognize that about him. But, I give the edge in his filmography to Sleepwalkers (which is a legitimately good movie), his redo of The Shining (though some of it is boring), and Critters 2 (though some of it is lame).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
Tommy Jarvis, Jimbo, the virgin, GORDON...all pretty likeable. The twins and Teddy are at the very least memorable.
At least you see my point (by naming the dog). Making characters shout things throughout your film like "God, I'm horny," "I'm am going to kill him," and "screw you" - with harsh anxiety - over not getting laid does not Quality Character Development make. The film, to my knowledge, is not intended to be a Battle of the Sexes narrative. And, even if it were, it goes nowhere. As it stands, the characters are aggressively unlikable. To the point where, in typical Bad Slasher Movie fashion- you just want to see them die. Jim kills himself when he says "besides, you've got the hot one of the two." Of course, the film in its' infinite wisdom decides to have the "hot one" he's talking about overhear him instead of actually confront him on the asshole thing he said and have the other girl walk by.

Tommy Jarvis likable? Just because he makes masks? As usual, I'm calling bullshit. This film only allows Trish to be likable- she's the ONLY one who doesn't get considerably caught up in the soul-crushing sleaze. The only thing I can say in Tommy's defense as a matter of fact, is that he had his debasements placed in the film's slightly less nasty uphill climb. When the teens' party starts, the film becomes an entirely oppressive experience (where before it was extremely unpleasent, cowardly, and tasteless). As though the film were saying kids cannot handle their sexual awareness or that being in groups makes them anti-social. This is a seriously fucked up movie. But of course, I place the blame on the filmmakers. Neither of which - Joe Zito and Barney Cohen - did any / much better on The Prowler (any) or Killer Party (much). This movie also forces me to do something I'm loathed to: say Paramount had a good reason to be embarrassed by this franchise- in this case they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
Great thread Rhett. DVD-fanatic-9 makes some good points about the characters in "The Final Chapter," but I'll take them over the fire-urinating dog, Tuesday Knight and invisible kung-fu battle.
Thank you.

And, because of nostalgia (I remain contractually bound to say) a part of me still loves the film. Or the part of me which for so long remained ignorant about the film's overwhelming sleaze. (Which CAN be smart, when done right: From Beyond, Bride of Chucky again, Basket Case and Brain Damage, and I'd like to say Class of Nuke 'Em High, since the tone of the film didn't seem like it was punishing anyone for enjoying their sexuality - another reason to dislike Night of the Demons, btw, people who wagged their finger at me for that one - it just... poked them a little.) But it deserves credit for only its' technical qualities. However, that's not enough to argue the film is best in the franchise. Not when, by comparison, part 2 is a lot smarter or Jason Takes Manhattan is a lot more even, or Jason Lives a lot scarier. True to the filmmakers' personal kinks, I am stating here and now that Jason's groaning during the ultra-sexual death scenes was not suggesting his character was more wild and animal-like than the previous films. It was subtextually suggesting that he was getting off on killing. This may sound fanboyish but... Jason doesn't think about sex, ever (the filmmakers do). So, turning him into a sexual-frustration killer is the final nail in this film's coffin. (By the way, Cohen admits it on the DVD special features.)

Nightmare on Elm Street 4, on the other hand, would be a near-masterpiece were it not for the poor acting. It hurts me more than I can say (as a hardcore lover of style-for-substance horror: Dust Devil, Hardware, The Hunger, Brain Damage, Jason Takes Manhattan, Cat People, The Company of Wolves, arguably Def by Temptation, and half of Cemetery Man- the half that was good ). But the film really does have a lot of great stuff going on. Its' one of those No Dialogue Needed stories. All Freddy has to do is show up in that classroom after we see Alice start to doze off and catch herself-thinking she's awake, peeling that apple, then do that walk, claw in face, and lick to Shiela... and right there, you have a classic horror scene for the ages (there's nothing else like it, not that I've ever seen). Even the ridiculous, Beetlejuician death doesn't hurt what we saw leading up to it. We don't even need to know Freddy was ever a child molestor, this says everything. It's a classic American nightmare- Freddy can go anywhere. Be anywhere. You're not safe anywhere! I almost have to give this scene a leg-up from Craven's original because we aren't really given any music or lighting signal that he's coming. He was just sitting in that seat since Alice/Shiela fell asleep.

The film also plays brilliantly with teen movie character conventions. It only needs to fix that damn Family Disharmony subplot. Which it just might have had it cast better actors. In fact, bad acting doesn't even hurt the scene right after the jeep accident. Any other horror film would cut directly to Alice at home, preparing to fight Freddy. This film makes an entire scene out of how Alice's character has developed thus far, sans guilt (over hurting Dan, which we didn't need to see anyway), and enhances it with style. I'll bet most people don't even remember it. I mean, Harlin even thought to throw in shots of Alice looking back at her father after stealing his car. It was a good shot too. Lisa Wilcox isn't that bad when she's not talking. In fact, one of the scariest things in the movie is the "Come on, honey, I don't wanna be here forever" moment. She was scarier there than Freddy was all-film.

Quote:
The Final Sacrifice sucks
They all suck, Rhett. But The Final Sacrifice sucks less than most of them. As a matter of fact... and if you've read any of my reviews here, you know I'm as harshly critical of family disharmony plots/subplots as anyone could be... and in general, the film does a slightly better job at the kid vs. the father relationship than most horror films. I rewatched their confrontation scenes at least 5-15 times back in April after getting the DVD sequel set. Which is only a measure of how closely I usually examine the films I watch. But, the film is better than it gets credit for. And WITHOUT a doubt, kicks the shit out of that awful Urban Harvest.

Quote:
the third and fourth are easily better
The third film is an intolerable mess with Daniel Cerny ruining every single scene. Every single scene he's in is the reason the film is... frankly, just as bad as part 6. Usually, film quality is a matter of opinion but- if you thought that kid did a good job beyond his facial expressions, you slept through it. Hilariously enough, though, the film doesn't improve much when he's not onscreen. Part 6 has better acting. In fact, part 6 has only one thing that makes it worse: the ending. And the painful melodrama. The third film is excrutiatingly bad. Do you / people like you (the only way to even hope to have a leg to stand on in defending Urban Harvest is to say "turn your brain off"; I believe there's a large Turn Your Brain Off subculture in film appreciation) have any actual scale for how bad the things we see in this film can get? And I have a list: the basketball scenes, the classroom seating confrontation, the pizza dinner scene, the off-to-school kiss, the broken glass ornament, the idea that any kid in the entire world (no matter how screwed up) could be so stupid that they'd be swayed by the unbelievably braindead and uncharismatic preaching of Eli, another incredibly empty-headed portrayal of domestic abuse (I was, as you'd expect, more terrified for the corn stalks than what that guy might have ever done to the boys), the social worker's death scene...

In fact, name one thing the 3rd film did better. Except perhaps for cinematography / camerawork.

As for The Gathering, less than a 3rd of the film actually works. By taking itself seriously and trying to treat the characters with respect, it then forgot what Franchise Rules were about to do to all its' hard work. The absurd, over the top schlockiness of all of the "horror" elements (and Karen Black's performance) pissed away all the film's potential. And, in fact, the film is worse for trying because it almost insults you for giving it credit. With its' mind-numbingly stupid death scenes, awful special effects, and uneven performances which shift into 9th-Circle-of-Hell badness when Lead Corn Kid #4 is given the ability to speak. Which depressingly reminds us how good John Franklin's performance was by comparison. After the scene where Grace's best friend says something like "we've got a problem" (during the tooth-folder sequence) the film turns into almost complete, rotting, smelly garbage and never looks back. Which is a lot more pure suckage time compared to the final 9-minute sequence from Final Sacrifice (which admittedly is where that film turns into rotting, smelly garbage).

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 10-21-2012 at 03:27 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter, marginally beating Halloween 4: The Return of Micale Myers. Both offer memorable slasher thrills, but The Final Chapter is simply the epitome of a Friday the 13th movie - boobs, cheese, jump scares, things going through windows, and an awesome final chase.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
fceurich39
HackMaster

easy pick here Friday the 13th The Final Chapter which is the best out of the entire crop and best F13TH FILM as well!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #25
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

Voted Phantasm IV: Oblivion, 2nd would be Child's Play 4.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
rhett

Surprised there has been (a little) love for OblIVion...I'm all for Phantasm and really even like III, but this one seemed pretty morose and just kind of a stringing together of whatever Coscarelli could get his hands on in order to make it feature length.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Surprised there has been (a little) love for OblIVion...I'm all for Phantasm and really even like III, but this one seemed pretty morose and just kind of a stringing together of whatever Coscarelli could get his hands on in order to make it feature length.
completly agree i didnt care for OBlivion at all and i love the first 3 phantasm films no wonder the desperation for a Phantasm V
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #28
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Correct, but HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN is actually the 4th Dracula film, so I figured since it kind of covered both that would be a better option to pick since I couldn't fit them all in.
Wow, Frankenstein really got shafted in this poll with both the Universal and Hammer series being struck from the ballot. And replaced by two terrible films in Dracula series which can't hold a candle to their Frankenstein counterparts.

I mean, neither of those Frankenstein movies are prize pigs themselves, but both Dracula series took a huge nose dive after the second entries. While both of the Frankenstein series had a much more gradual decline.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #29
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Friday The 13th-The Final Chapter is my favorite in the series and pretty much the one I always come back to. I love the characters, very colorful, compared to the generic horror film characters that populated the earlier films. Great gore, well paced, Corey Feldman, Lawrence Monoson and Crispin Glover had amazing chemistry too. I would argue with the exception of Amy Steele, the most memorable characters are all in The Final Chapter.
Runner-ups are Halloween 4 and Dracula Has Risen From The Grave.
The rot definitely starts to sink in by the fourth chapter for most franchises.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
dayglo
Maniac

Friday the 13th The Final Chapter. For me it's easily the best slasher, and one that's easily and often revisited.

dayglo is offline   Reply With Quote