Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

X-Files on Blu-ray

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/th...to-blu-in-2013

I really hope this is true. I picked up the 7 disc DVD versions of the seasons (with all the bonus features) from pawn shops as the list price was too expensive at the time. This made it so some of the packages were a little worn. I love this show and if there were some additional special features included, or at least the additional documentaries and commentaries from the mythology DVD sets, it'd make a double dip that much more enticing.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

It'll take some serious work to turn everything HD. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Even if they do, I doubt I'll upgrade. I've got all the DVD sets, and it'd just be too expensive to buy them all again. I do have the movies on blu-ray, though.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Franco
Weekender

That would be great! I never bought any box set of the TV series but I watch it constantly through TCM channel. Would love to get it in HD.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

The X-Files was shot on film, but then transferred to video where the special effects were edited in. The non FX shots would look beautiful, but everything else would look pretty lousy. Heck, the title sequence doesn't even hold up in standard def anymore. They could always go back and improve upon the effects like they did in the new blu ray masters of Star Trek, but out of nostalgia and historical purposes I prefer to retain them as is on DVD because that's how they looked when first broadcast.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Jack Grendel
Victim

I would pick up the series if they did these right.
Jack Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
They could always go back and improve upon the effects like they did in the new blu ray masters of Star Trek,
It sounds like that is what they are doing. I'm fine with that as long as the differences aren't too noticeable. I would love for them to do what they did with the original Star Trek series and include both versions for completists sake. Don't know why they didn't do that with Next Generation sets, even if the effects shots were just upscales it would be better then nothing.

Either way I will be all over this set. I already have the very nice complete series DVD set but will pick these up in a heart beat, as this is my favourite show of all time. I just hope, although very unlikely that they release them all together as a complete set. I don't want it to take years for the full series to get released and I hate buying completed shows one season at a time.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 11-13-2012 at 11:27 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Dave
Pimp

This is supposed to happen this year.

Apparently a station oversea is airing the first season is HD and it looks unbelievable.

Tons of shots in this thread here http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....08637&page=129

Of course, once it hits the air, someone inevitably caps it and puts them online. Sure enough I managed to find some and they truly look unbelievable. Someone took the audio from the DVDs and put it on the HD caps. I'm going to watch a few today on my big screen. Cannot wait.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Steel76
Maniac

Impressive PQ

I remember the old DVD:s looking very mediocre even back in the day on a CRT.
Shows that was done, using video in post-production, always became muddy.

I wish the 80:s Twilight Zone show (which looks pretty horrible on DVD) would get this kind of a treatment, though from what I heard, all the original film elements was destroyed, and only the tapes are left
Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Dave
Pimp

Yeah those 80s TZ DVDs are lackluster. Hopefully someday some forgotten elements are found.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
maybrick
HackMaster

Those shots indeed look fantastic, but I'm having difficulty finding FX shots on that site which is where my curiosity primarily remains. I've never had any doubts about the PQ of anything else, but the stuff like UFOs that were done using early 90s Macs (or whatever) I want to see how THAT stuff has been remastered.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Dave
Pimp

I guess the El Ray channel (never heard of it) is airing HD episodes here in the US now, too. Great news. If Fox is letting them out, they should get blu releases soon. I hope. If not, they are bound to show up online.

There was a link comparing some effects shot somewhere in that thread but I can't find it anymore. Honestly, I didn't pay too much attention. If it's a choice between no X-Files HD or X-Files HD with upconverted effects, I'll take the latter. I know we should want more, but I'm just too excited to get something rather than nothing.

Scroll through the pages in that thread - amazing screenshots.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I guess the El Ray channel (never heard of it) is airing HD episodes here in the US now, too. Great news. If Fox is letting them out, they should get blu releases soon. I hope. If not, they are bound to show up online.

There was a link comparing some effects shot somewhere in that thread but I can't find it anymore. Honestly, I didn't pay too much attention. If it's a choice between no X-Files HD or X-Files HD with upconverted effects, I'll take the latter. I know we should want more, but I'm just too excited to get something rather than nothing.

Scroll through the pages in that thread - amazing screenshots.
El Rey is great!! It is a network Robert Rodriquez started and they are airing a lot of good series and movies ad well as the
New From Dusk Till Dawn series. Unfortunately I don't get it in HD on Comcast.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
coldheart
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
El Rey is great!! It is a network Robert Rodriquez started and they are airing a lot of good series and movies ad well as the
New From Dusk Till Dawn series. Unfortunately I don't get it in HD on Comcast.
I want to watch the show,but not in SD.Come on Comcast,give us HD.
coldheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I just started watching this series on Netflix and these HD screen shots look amazing in comparison!!! Maybe I should wait to watch these until the blurays come out.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote