Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION coming to UK Blu-ray from Second Sight Films

Via Second Sight Film's Facebook:

Quote:
IN THE WORKS.... we are excited to announce that we are starting work on a Blu-ray release of Andrzej Zulawski's classic POSSESSION. This is a new Director-Approved restoration, and as well as the existing DVD bonus features we are working on a whole host more. We'll announce further details here as they happen.
If this release is anything like their Return of the Living Dead or Basket Case Trilogy Blu-rays it will likely be Blu-ray region free.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Mondo Vision are supposedly working on one here in the States -- they've done excellent work so far, so this may be a game of waiting to see who has the better extras. (I'm not too concerned about which one gets to market first. I have plenty to watch until then!)

Either way, great news. The film has long been a personal favorite, and it'll be great to see cleaned up in hi-def -- though seeing it recently in a theater with an unsuspecting crowd was really a hoot, too!

Last edited by bruce h; 11-17-2012 at 12:07 AM.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
dave13
HackMaster

never seen this, but i've been looking out for it due just to its status as a video nasty. i'll be down for whichever release is better.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Midnight Buddha
Stalker

Yeah i read this on facebook, have been meaning to pick the dvd up for a while, guess i`ll wait for the blu-ray now.
Midnight Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

I already own the DVD, and quite frankly, this is one of those bleak, dismal movies that I can't really get in to. There is an artistic voice at work, but it's an oddly cold film, and a bit overlong in terms of entertainment value.
Kim Bruun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
msw7
Morso a morte

Great news! i've been kicking myself for selling my copy of the DVD.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I have the Second Sight DVD as well...but probably will double dip for a director approved transfer. I will probably ignore the US release unless they can get some ground breaking extras.

The movie itself is phenomenal. Sam Neil's performance is extraordinary. Would love to get an interview with him regarding his role in this film.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Damage
Mirror Mirror

Just watched this today and thought it was amazing. Recommended to fans of Lars von Trier's Antichrist, David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch, Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut and David Lynch's Eraserhead. Would love to pick up a blu-ray.
"May I point out that I had an opportunity to observe your counterparts here quite closely. They were brutal, savage, unprincipled, uncivilized, treacherous -- in every way, splendid examples of homo sapiens, the very flower of humanity. I found them quite refreshing."
My DVD List and Movie Tracker... Like you care!
Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Good movie, but there's not much replay value in it.

I saw it in HD on TCM a while back, and once was enough for me.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Andrzej Zulawski's Possession Detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-ray.com
British distributors Second Sight Films have revealed the supplemental features that will be included on their upcoming Blu-ray release of controversial Polish director Andrzej Zulawski's Possession (1981), starring Isabelle Adjani, Sam Neill, Margit and Carstensen. A preliminary release date, however, is yet to be announced.

A horror film like no other, Possession is an intense, shocking experience that was banned in the UK as a 'video nasty'. With its dark subject matter and high gore quotient, it's not for the faint hearted.

With their marriage in pieces Anna and Mark's tense relationship has become a psychotic descent into screaming matches, violence and self-mutilation. Believing his wife's only lover is the sinister Heinrich, Mark is unaware of the demonic, tentacled cre ature that Anna has hidden away for liaisons in a deserted apartment and will stop at nothing to protect.

Written and directed by Andrzej Żuławski, Possession is a deeply unsettling experience, aided by the horrific special effects of the great Carlo Rambaldi (Deep Red, Close Encounters, Alien). The film, though banned on video, was nominated for a BAFTA and the prestigious Palme d'Or Award and Adjani's astonishing performance earned her Best Actress awards at the Cannes Film Festival and the French Césars.

Special Features:
  • The Other Side of the Wall - The Making of Possession
  • Audio Commentary with co-writer Frederic Tuten, moderated by Daniel Bird
  • Repossessed - The film's UK and US reception, the 'video nasties' furore and the US recut
  • A Divided City The Berlin locations
  • The Sounds of Possession - An exclusive interview with composer Andrzej Korzynski about his working relationship with Andrzej Zulawski
  • Our Friend in the West - An exclusive interview with legendary producer Christian Ferry
  • Basha - A new featurette on Polish artist Barbara 'Basha' Baranowska, who created the famed poster for Possession.
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Andrzej Zulawski Interview
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

UK disc reviewed a Blu-Ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Posses.../60051/#Review

Sounds like a killer release -- makes it a little harder to wait for the Mondo Vision announcement, haha.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
msw7
Morso a morte

Wow - I hope the Mondo Vision release keeps all the special features, otherwise I may have to go for this region B release.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Eddyw78
Stalker

Another review of the UK BD here.

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/conten...ossession.html
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
joltaddict
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage View Post
Just watched this today and thought it was amazing. Recommended to fans of Lars von Trier's Antichrist, David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch, Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut and David Lynch's Eraserhead. Would love to pick up a blu-ray.
You may be setting people up for disappointment there.
Its good but not Kubrick, Lynch, Von Trier, Cronenberg good.