Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Dobby
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I'll just say they SUCK now. Besides the occasional solid release, every other two or three releases from them are somehow screwed up.

The days of Anchor Bay being a studio that actually gave a shit are long over. Now they care more for releasing shitty movies like Snowmageddon and Vamps.

They should really just change the company to Starz, because that's what it is. Anchor Bay is pretty much long dead now.
The original owners and people who ran Anchor Bay are long gone. I remember years ago when I had a problem with a defective DVD, I called Anchor Bay and this old lady would answer the phone. She replaced my DVD free of charge no questions asked. She said they were a tiny company releasing obscure movies. In other words the people who worked there were horror/giallo fans. So I find it laughable when you folks say Anchor Bay sucks now. Of course they suck cock now the heart and soul of that company is gone/dead.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I'll just say they SUCK now. Besides the occasional solid release, every other two or three releases from them are somehow screwed up.

The days of Anchor Bay being a studio that actually gave a shit are long over. Now they care more for releasing shitty movies like Snowmageddon and Vamps.

They should really just change the company to Starz, because that's what it is. Anchor Bay is pretty much long dead now.
atleast on dec 4th they'll be rereleasing the long OOP Silent Night Deadly Night double feature and it being 2 discs as the original release was only a flipper disc and also had a booklet. which i highly doubt will be included in the rerelease now 2 dvd set!!! Silent Night remake comes out the same day as well!!!! But yeah if anchor bay would of released the double feature on Blu-ray then we are talking a whole different ball game for anchor bay but sadly it's just the dvd release!!!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The original owners and people who ran Anchor Bay are long gone. I remember years ago when I had a problem with a defective DVD, I called Anchor Bay and this old lady would answer the phone. She replaced my DVD free of charge no questions asked. She said they were a tiny company releasing obscure movies. In other words the people who worked there were horror/giallo fans. So I find it laughable when you folks say Anchor Bay sucks now. Of course they suck cock now the heart and soul of that company is gone/dead.
Yeah, Anchor Bay even sent me missing "inserts" a couple of times even. One time they even FedEx'd it overnight for some reason! This was long before they were sold and became bigger.

The old people are all indeed long gone... that's why I say it's really just Starz now, and they should just change the name once and for all. As for Anchor Bay that once existed, its soul is dead and only exists now as far as the name and logo. I have no faith in them, so fuck 'em.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
I'll slightly admit, Anchor Bay ain't what it used to be. But look at what they released this year; Battle Royale 1 and 2, Mother's Day (1980), Halloween 4 and 5, The Entity, they even re-releasing the Silent Night, Deadly Night 1 and 2 Double Feature DVD.

In fact, I think their classic title releases (including sub-licensing deals with Fox and Troma this year) have increased from last year.

Scanners seems to be appropriate for Anchor Bay since they have another Avco title Phantasm and both Phantasm and Scanners once belonged to MGM and brought by their director and the producer respectively. If Phantasm was brought by Anchor Bay from Don then the odds of Anchor Bay buying Scanners (and maybe The Brood) from the producer is 50/50.

Now yes, their are other possibilities like Code Red and Synapse since Code Red has Weekend Murders and Synapse has Vampire Circus (2 titles once belonged by MGM) but I'll agree with you that the other possibility will be Criterion but I doubt it since that title doesn't seem up Criterion's alley. Right now, my money's on Anchor Bay (and I think next year since it looks likely and even more so since Scream Factory will release the 2 sequels).
Anchor Bay is SHIT!

Battle Royale and Mother's Day were decent releases but ONLY released because they had remakes hitting, Hunger Games being a somewhat remake of Battle Royale.

The Entity was a shoddy release lacking all the extras that they included on the re-released DVD, and Halloween 4 and 5 were also missing extras from the previous DVD releases as well as new extras that they promised in their advertisement. Silent Night Deadly Night they could even bother to releases on Blu and instead just re-released the previously OOP DVD.

Don't even get me started on all the titles that they haven't released to Bluray! They have sat on Demons/ Demons 2, Phantasm, Tenebre, Phenomena, Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition, Halloween w/ TV cut and missing extras.

Even the titles that they did get right for the most part like Evil Dead, License to Drive and Masters of Horror they couldn't even bother to include all the previous extras.

And then there are the barebones titles they released where for the most part they couldn't even bother to include a menu; Jack Brooks, Girl Next Door, Hellboy Animated Collection, and The Lost.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Battle Royale and Mother's Day were decent releases but ONLY released because they had remakes hitting, Hunger Games being a somewhat remake of Battle Royale.
Also, I Spit On Your Grave
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
fceurich39
HackMaster

well a new halloween 35th anniversary edition with the tv cut is rumored for 2013
and the rights for Dawn of the Dead,Demons 1 and 2,phenomena and tenebre are all rumored that anchor bay no longer has these films.
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
othervoice1
HackMaster

[QUOTE]-well a new halloween 35th anniversary edition with the tv cut is rumored for 2013[QUOTE]
That would be great - I never did pick up the blu ray of this since I was happy with my limited edition dvd with the tv cut adn I heard the color was messed up on the blu
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #23
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
well a new halloween 35th anniversary edition with the tv cut is rumored for 2013
and the rights for Dawn of the Dead,Demons 1 and 2,phenomena and tenebre are all rumored that anchor bay no longer has these films.
It seems AB no longer has DOTD, Night Of The Demons, and (this just in) Tenebre. Demons 1 and 2, and Phenomena. Speaking of Argento, I'm not seeing Trauma, The Card Player, and Do You Like Hitchcock? on the site either.

UPDATE: Never mind, Anchor Bay still has Do You Like Hitchcock?:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.co...f-9c0800e596f5

Last edited by Nailwraps; 11-29-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
Whether they no longer have the rights to them now or not, they have had how many years to release them on Blu and just sat on them, instead releasing whatever DTV movie of the week. If Anchor Bay wanted to get back in the horror industry with Bluray they have had many years to do so. They just don't care about that market anymore. They don't want titles that they can sell on Amazon For $20, they want titles that they can sell at Walmart for $10 or under.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote