Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Exclamation Terminator Remastered Edition 2/19 2013!!!

Every other country has gotten it, now it's the US turn!:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10047

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release director James Cameron's classic action film The Terminator (1984), starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. Recently remastered, the film will be available for purchase on February 19th.

In this newly remastered film, Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as the most fierce and relentless killing machine ever to threaten the survival of mankind! An indestructible cyborg — a Terminator (Schwarzenegger) — is sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), the woman whose unborn son will become humanity's only hope in a future war against machines. This legendary sci-fi thriller from pioneering writer/director James Cameron, written with Gale Anne Hurd, fires an arsenal of action and heart-stopping suspense that never lets up!

Special Features:
Remastered Theatrical Feature Blu-ray
7 Deleted Scenes
Creating The Terminator: Visual Effects & Music
Terminator: A Retrospective

About time! I'm not a fan, but I'm happy for all the fans out there. It's still a shame not all the extras (the Other Voices documentary, trailers, and TV spots) couldn't be ported over for this edition, but I'm not surprised considering the other regions were the same. And as for wheather the Mono mix will be included, well, if this release is anything like the US MGM releases of the James Bond films, then odds are the Mono mix will be included.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
fceurich39
HackMaster

dont know if i will double dip or not since i have the first blu-ray and the awesome OOP special edition dvd
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Nailwraps
HackMaster

OK, but let me at least show you a comparison between the first US Blu-ray and the Remastered UK Blu-ray (which its transfer will no doubt be on the new US release):

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...D=1295#auswahl
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Up at Amazon for $14:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

I don't need an immediate upgrade, so I'll probably wait a few months for the inevitable $9.99 sale point. Still, looking forward to it. Hopefully MGM will remaster ROBOCOP as well when its remake comes out.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

Sucks I got the US disc not long ago, then started reading about this remaster and almost imported it. It certainly looks worth an upgrade from the screen evidence I've seen, and I'm one who often thinks shitty looking blus look good (at least compared to what I read from others online). I think being available cheap in stores here will be the nudge I need to get upgraded. I'm tired of spending on this film and didn't want to pay for import, but if I can find this around $5 like the old BD I'll definitely jump on it. I'm thinking wait for $9.99 PP, then another upgrade and save sale at Best Buy to drop it to $5!

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
rhett

Honestly, I think I prefer the US transfer. The color timing seems much better (check out the futuristic explosion or the small toy truck in Nailwraps' post for comparisons) and more accurate to how the film has always been presented. The UK transfer is definitely sharper, but it's not a terrible difference - for me the difference in colors between the two transfers is more pronounced than the sharpness, and the colors win out on the old release.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Steel76
Maniac

Got the new BD, and the old one feels like an SD upscale in comparision.
This is one upgrade that is worth the money. Just as impressive as the Aliens BD.
And now we don´t get pink tinted explosions when the truck goes up in flames

Now lets hope that T2 gets a new fresh transfer.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #8
jcannon
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
Up at Amazon for $14:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

I don't need an immediate upgrade, so I'll probably wait a few months for the inevitable $9.99 sale point. Still, looking forward to it. Hopefully MGM will remaster ROBOCOP as well when its remake comes out.
Wow! While I'm not a fan of Cameron's new color-timing (I don't ever remember 'Aliens' ever having a blue tint to it either) the detail is greatly increased. Damn shame they didn't film any new features for the Blu-Ray especially since Arnold is back acting again.
jcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
ImmortalSlasher
Stalker

I haven't seen any mention of James Cameron overseeing this remastered version of Terminator like he did with Aliens. I think I might wait this out until a Terminator 1 & 2 Cameron approved set is released.
ImmortalSlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
fceurich39
HackMaster

no reviews yet for the usa release??? so is anyone getting it this tuesday my indie store is supposed to get it along with scream factory blu-rays. not sure if walmart/target stores will carry it since it is a catalogue title i know best buy isnt gonna have it in stores but my hastings store 30 minutes away has a copy for next week!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I have it pre-ordered.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Matt89
HackMaster

Wait wait wait....do both the remastered UK and remastered US editions feature differing transfers?

~Matt
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
no reviews yet for the usa release??? so is anyone getting it this tuesday my indie store is supposed to get it along with scream factory blu-rays. not sure if walmart/target stores will carry it since it is a catalogue title i know best buy isnt gonna have it in stores but my hastings store 30 minutes away has a copy for next week!
I contacted the PR firm handling this title and they said they haven't even begun to send out review copies yet, they were still up to their eyeballs in SKYFALL, which may explain why no reviews exist yet. I was looking for one, too.

I requested a review copy of this but I rarely get anything from MGM. Each time, though, I keep thinking it'll happen this time. I'll get one this time.
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
fceurich39
HackMaster

i havent even seen anyone get this early online yet like with most titles even scream facotry ones people post videos/forums with pics showing off their movies they got before street date.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
Wait wait wait....do both the remastered UK and remastered US editions feature differing transfers?

~Matt
I can't imagine that there is a difference in the transfer and/or audio track, but I've been wrong before. I have the latest UK version and it is the last version I'll ever need.