Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Nailwraps
HackMaster

The Toxic Avenger The Japanese Cut December 11th!

Troma will release the Japanese Cut of The Toxic Avenger on DVD December 11th:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/611...wims-us-shores

"Okay, Toxic Avenger fans! The day you've been waiting for has come. The sought after Japanese cut of the film is finally coming home to the States, and our only regret is that it's not on Blu-ray, too. Look for it in stores on December 11th.

From the Press Release
Welcome to Tromaville, New Jersey -- a small American town, terrorized by criminals. The town's corrupt mayor sits idly by while muggers, robbers and teenage punks victimize helpless citizens. Among the residents of Tromaville is Melvin, a nerdy, emaciated janitor at the local health club. That is, until he becomes The Toxic Avenger! A gang of thugs devise a cruel hoax that goes horribly wrong as Melvin is cast through a third story window and into a vat of hazardous toxic waste. However, an unexpected metamorphosis takes place. As the chemicals take hold of his body, Melvin turns into the Toxic Avenger, doer of good, and brutal mauler of evil! The rest, as they say, is history! The excitement is non-stop as the hero sets out to single handedly wipe out the forces of evil that torment the people of Tromaville. The Toxic Avenger is non-stop entertainment that will leave the viewers glowing from the fun. An additional four minutes have been added to this version!

Information that was sent out previously showed that the two prior versions of this title had running times of 101 minutes, which is incorrect. Both versions had a running time of 87 minutes.

Bonus Features: Production Stills, Trailers"

Now I've done some research, and it seems the Japanese Vut is 4 minutes longer than the Director's Cut which is quite interesting. Not to criticize Troma (I respect them completely), but I hope this doesn't have burnt-in Japanese subtitles because being the Japanese Cut, it will be taken from the source. Though I could be wrong.

Last edited by Nailwraps; 10-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Katatonia
Master of Doom

No Blu-ray yet? No sale then.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Yea I find it incredibly strange that Troma's staple franchise hasn't gotten a blu release yet.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Milk that cow Troma! Milk it!!!

Toxic Avenger is in my top 5 films of all time but I probably won't pick it up. I have a feeling it's just the US cut with the deleted scenes inserted (and they were deleted for a good reason)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Dobby
HackMaster

BLAH lame pass on this, i'd rather fuck a door nob.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I would imagine if Troma did release a Blu of The Toxic Avenger, the restoration would be a comprehensive one since it's one of the great Troma films.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
JGrendel
HackMaster

Now that Troma has a relationship with Anchor bay why is a Toxic Avenger blu not in the works?
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
russweiss
Maniac

I didn't know there was a longer cut available. When part 2 was released it was cut here in the U.S. and I bought a Japanese bootleg to see the extended version. I would have to wait to see what the extra four minutes included before buying this title again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toxic Avenger 1 Japanese.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	6248  
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrendel View Post
Now that Troma has a relationship with Anchor bay why is a Toxic Avenger blu not in the works?
there probably waiting for toxic avenger 5 toxie twins to be made
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
dave13
HackMaster

wait a minute, how man days does December have?!
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Back in November of 2008 I programmed a 35mm screening of The Toxic Avenger, and the print we were shipped was the Japanese cut which I had of course never seen before, or even knew existed. There were definitely a few changes I noticed, as well as scenes I had never seen before from my countless previous viewings of the film (the Canadian R-rated VHS contains 'deleted scenes' that were actually excised in the director's cut for instance).

As a huge fan of the film, as this was one of the films that was my gateway into horror movies, cult films, and exploitation, I will be picking up this release but for those who aren't huge fans of the film or already own it it's probably not worth it for you. I am bummed they still don't have a Blu-ray of this planned...

As to the Japanese cut itself though, yes it is longer, but mainly it features extra montages, one of which is repeated(!), and Toxie in a phone booth and some other random footage. I find the extra montages quite funny and look forward to seeing this cut again that was padded out because the Japanese wanted a longer running time. Recommended only if you're a Toxie completist.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrendel View Post
I don't imagine Troma sub-licensing Toxic Avenger to Anchor Bay cuz like I said, it's one of the great films of Troma. Troma would probably release it themselves (as well as the other Toxic Avenger films).

Also, I corrected the date Dave13.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
fceurich39
HackMaster

so anybody pick up the japanese cut? anything worthy of a double dip?
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
booper71
HackMaster

is this the same as the laserdisc version, I had that, just recently acquired the limited new vhs reissue set. If it the same as the laserdisc then most of those minutes come from flashback of his kills and an extra length to the carmageddon scene.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It's basically just the deleted scenes from the other releases edited back into the film. Here's a review from Mondo Digital:

http://www.mondo-digital.com/toxic.html
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toxic avenger