Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
rhett

Piranha 3DD (Double D) Sequel

Hey guys, I know we've brought this sequel up in a few different threads, but as far as I know we've yet to make a full on thread on it. So here it is.

Here's the press release straight from the source:

Quote:
PIRANHA 3DD (3 DOUBLE D) SPLASHES INTO PRODUCTION

New York, NY, April 25, 2011 – After earning rave reviews from top critics and wild cheers from audiences around the country, Dimension Films has started production on the sequel to PIRANHA 3D.

Principal photography is now underway in Wilmington, NC on PIRANHA 3DD, being directed by John Gulager (FEAST).

There’s something in the water . . . again. And this time no one is safe from the flesh eating fish as they sink their razor sharp teeth into the visitors of the best summer attraction, The Big Wet Water Park.

Featuring a talented ensemble cast including Danielle Panabaker (THE CRAZIES), Matt Bush (ADVENTURELAND), Chris Zylka (THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN), David Koechner (ANCHORMAN), Meagan Tandy (UNSTOPPABLE), Paul James Jordan, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, Hector Jimenez, Adrian Martinez, Clu Gulager and more cast to be announced soon.

PIRANHA 3DD is a Dimension Films release, produced by Mark Canton, Marc Toberoff and Joel Soisson. Executive producer Chako van Leeuwen; Co-Produced by Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg.

PIRANHA 3DD shows its teeth in theatres nationwide on November 23, 2011. The feast is on this Thanksgiving.
No Aja, but then again the first film didn't really have his visual stamp on it, either. I've liked what I've seen from John Gulager, and he seems like a strong voice for the genre. What do you guys think?

"Wet...tee...shirt. Wet...tee...shirt..."
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Workshed
October!

@ Gulager @Pirahna DD

the first one was a gas, so here's hoping they keep up the fun.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
othervoice1
HackMaster

I enjoyed the first one and thought the 3-D made it even more fun- I look forward to checking out the sequel
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Hopefully this will mean a re-release of Piranha II: The Spawning in widescreen.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

If Gulager can keep the vomit in your face gags to under 5, I have very much hope! I do fear my hopes may be too much as I love the first one. Also have to keep in mind this will probably have no budget in comparison to Aja's. I just hope it makes theaters, none of the Feast films played anywhere near me so I've yet to see Gulager on the big screen. I assume 3D means a theater run, can't imagine 3D TV's and BD players are selling that great in this economy.

Ironic that they are shooting in Wilmington NC, that's where I first saw the first one.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
rhett

The real question is what this is going to be called when it hits video in 2D. Piranha 2DD? Piranha DD? Piranha 2: The Yawning?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Yay! I thorourghly enjoyed the first one! And here I was thinking I'd have to make do with Piranhaconda...
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Piranha 3------D------D: Revenge of the Severed Penis

I enjoyed the first one, but hopefully they'll leave the annoying trendy music out of the sequel.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Interest!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
spawningblue
Deadite

I'm excited about this although I'm a little worried that Aja isn't involved. It didn't have his signature style, but I'm sure he had a lot of input with the insane gore scenes. Feast was okay but not in the same league as anything Aja has done, and I haven't seen the sequels, but haven't heard too many positive things about them. But hey, if it's half as fun as the first then I'll be happy.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I'm excited about this although I'm a little worried that Aja isn't involved. It didn't have his signature style, but I'm sure he had a lot of input with the insane gore scenes. Feast was okay but not in the same league as anything Aja has done, and I haven't seen the sequels, but haven't heard too many positive things about them. But hey, if it's half as fun as the first then I'll be happy.
Honestly, I thought Feast was better than The Hills Have Eyes remake and Mirrors. Even better than Piranha 3D, for that matter. Should be fun, as long as the Weinsteins don't get too involved.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

After hearing about just a few of the wannabe-Peter Jackson / Frank Henenlotter body-horror gags mixed with wannabe-Robert Rodriguez / Sam Raimi martial-artsy cinematography in the Feast sequels, I'm surprised anyone would hire this guy to do a sequel to something Aja was involved in. But of course, bad movies are bad movies. The title (or should we all say : TiTtle?) of this sequel is a bigger joke than the positive reviews for the first movie. It's about time someone said it - John's really shaping up to become either the Seltzer or Friedberg of horror. I was tricked into (aka; not adequately warned before) seeing Epic Movie and won't be tricked into seeing anything with Gulager-II's name on it. The same way one go-round with Aja is enough experience to know to stay away from anything else he directed.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
MarkWarner
Stalker

No Aja directing? No KNB doing the effects? No Ving Rhames being a badass? No Elisabeth Shue being a badass? No Christopher Lloyd at his crazy best?

There's absolutely nothing to get excited about here. Pass.
MarkWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
maybrick
HackMaster

Piranha 3D was fun in the theater, but it was far less appealing on TV. My word, the CGI was atrocious.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
MarkWarner
Stalker

I thought the CGI was adequate for a film that had a smaller budget than the big summer blockbusters.
MarkWarner is offline   Reply With Quote