Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
X-human
I ate my keys

Criterion 2013 Clues (Scanners, Eraserhead and The Devils Backbone?)

Per usual Criterion has released a clue card of their 2013 release plans,
Quote:
Just to give you an idea of what well be up to in 2013...

None of these are my guesses but here they are: Harold Lloyd's Safety Last!, Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone, David Lynch's Eraserhead, Delmer Daves's 3:10 to Yuma, Charlie Chaplin's The Kid, Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai, Federico Fellini's La Strada, Ingmar Bergman's Autumn Sonata, David Cronenberg's Scanners, Peter Brook's Lord of the Flies and Gabriel Axel's Babette's Feast.

Reportedly neither Scanners nor The Brood are with MGM at all anymore... I almost wonder now if Synapse got those and that's what Don May Jr. was so excited about. But Criterion's clue seems very Scanner-esque (guy screaming from the 6th story window).

If they picked up Eraserhead there's a very good chance they'll also take Lynch's shorts collection as well. Eraserhead, Shorts and Dumbland were distributed as a package at various companies. Don't think they'll do much with Dumbland as it's in low resolution I believe, but it may get paired with the shorts then. :shrug:

I'm also happy to see the most obvious clue of Harold Lloyd which has already been confirmed with the Lloyd Estate as being with Janus at least theatrically. Gates of Hell is an old Japanese film that hasn't really been available. I saw it on IFC years ago and I rather liked it at the time. Would love to see it again on Blu-ray as it had gorgeous colors.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Looking at the pic of the guy in the 6th story window, does look like Scanners. I was thinking Anchor Bay could've gotten Scanners (I still stand by them and Scanners was a title that seemed right up their alley) and one of the members here said that they think Criterion could get it. Well, I tip my hat to you that were right. Also nice to see Eraserhead appearing to be released through Criterion.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

The "screaming" guy almost has to be Darryl Revok from Scanners.

I think the fifth story hint might be Cronenberg's Naked Lunch myself.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Criterion has a habit of releasing box sets near the end of the year (America Lost and Found: The BBS Story, The Three Colors Trilogy, The Qatsi Trilogy) and there have been some hints that there could be an upcoming early David Cronenberg box set featuring Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, and Scanners. I would LOVE it if that happened. Also very interested in the possibility of The Devil's Backbone.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
...there have been some hints that there could be an upcoming early David Cronenberg box set featuring Shivers, Rabid, The Brood, and Scanners.
That would be awesome! Hopefully "The Life Aquatic" will get a Criterion release this year.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Nailwraps
HackMaster

You know I never realized this til now, but the guy holding the birdcage in the 3rd story; a hint for La Cage Aux Folles (cuz I doubt it be the remake The Birdcage)?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
I think the fifth story hint might be Cronenberg's Naked Lunch myself.
Yes, originally people were saying that was Gabriel Axel's Babette's Feast but now it could also mean Naked Lunch (and/or both). It also reminds me of a scene from The Brood but it's been awhile since I've seen that. We might be getting a LOT of Cronenberg before the year is out.

Repo Man was also confirmed in an earlier clue from Criterion and the candy bag on the 8th floor would seem to be another nod to that.

And the clown clue has been re-assessed from being Federico Fellini's La Strada to Pierre Etaix's Yoyo (and probably a boxset of Etaix). :shrug:

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
dickieduvet
Maniac

Just picked up the new German import of Scanners from SubKultur. Featuring a beautiful transfer and a great interview with star Stephen Lack. Region free too for those who don't want to wait.
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
Just picked up the new German import of Scanners from SubKultur. Featuring a beautiful transfer
Brother, you ain't kidding! :

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...D=1449#auswahl
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

The screaming guy is definitely a hint for Scanners. He's wearing a bar code :-)
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
chancetx
Stalker

Any chance the window next to "Scanners" could be "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me"? Looks like two mountains in the distance surrounded by fire but I'm not sure what the gated fence would signify. I know it's a longshot but I'd love Criterion to get that title and finally release the many deleted scenes that exist. Mark Frost gave an interview in October suggesting 45 minutes of deleted scenes would be available soon.
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
scott71670
Maniac

I'm thinking the empty birdcage might mean an edition of "King of Hearts."
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott71670 View Post
I'm thinking the empty birdcage might mean an edition of "King of Hearts."
Maybe, but I'm inclined to agree with Nailwraps on the birdcage probably being a hint for La Cage Aux Folles.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I'd buy a Criterion Cronenberg box set in a second. I already own Videodrome, but that could easily be sold towards the set.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Kolpitz
Purely and Simply Evil

Eraserhead is available as part of Hulu Plus's Criterion section, so that one's pretty much a given.

My DVD Collection

Everybody's Doing It

Be a Follower

The Films I've Watched: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Kolpitz is offline   Reply With Quote