Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #136
mlock
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
And you guys complain about Twilight Time's prices. $46 each? And probably more if you're outside the US like myself with shipping. I might be sticking with my Arrow Steelbook with both films after all, regardless of muted colours (they still look damn good if you ask me).
From one Canadian to another: I agree!! If Synapse decides to smarten up and release regular versions, I'll gladly consider a double-dip of the first film. Otherwise, long live Arrow Steelbook!

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
mlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #137
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

From Facebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synapse Films
A fun shot from our new transfer of DEMONS 2. The colors are awesome (if I do say so myself).

Quote:
Here's another pic from our transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynapseFilms
Still working on them. We just discovered the location of the original elements for the theatrical trailers for both DEMONS and DEMONS 2 in Italy (two items I don't believe were even on the Arrow versions), and a collector has given us access to the cool U.S. theatrical trailer for DEMONS as well. We keep adding stuff... I HOPE they'll be early, but the more we add, the less likely that is to be. But, we just want the presentations of these two to be the best ones ever, so we're taking our time to do them correctly.
Quote:
We still have Steelbooks for both available for preorder. 3000 units is a LOT of discs in the indie world. Our plan for these was to have enough for customers for at least 12 months. They are about half sold through, at only a couple of months in since preorders began, which is more than we thought we would have sold by now (Twilight Time, which has a similar model, still has remainders of their 3000 unit runs even years after they've started selling, with few exceptions) No plans for regular releases of either at this time.
Quote:
Some people don't understand that what I do, with Synapse, is a lot more than most companies that just put out any old master they are given. Synapse spends additional money on color-timing and sound work to make sure thepresentation is the best it can be. On the surface the price looks expensive, but we HAVE to be able to recoup what we put into it, and the licensing costs (these two weren't cheap to license), coupled with the additional 50-80 hours of color timing and audio work do add up. We give our titles a little extra effort in the presentations than a lot of other companies do. I'd rather spend the money on additional sound and transfer work to make the FILM the best it can be and, sometimes, that isn't cheap. Most people complaining about the prices on DEMONS and DEMONS 2 think we're "overcharging" because of the Steelbook packaging and that isn't true. We just put more man hours into the presentations of the films. At the end of the day, of course, any consumer can choose to either buy it, or not buy it. In our opinion, what we've done with DEMONS and DEMONS 2 is well worth the price and, once people see it, I'm sure they'll be happy with their purchases. The fans just look at the price and think we're gouging, but they have NO idea the costs involved in creating better masters
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #138
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I asked Synapse on Facebook if the Anchor Bay extras will be ported over and this is what they said:

"No. We aren't using those. We inquired, but they were hesitant to do anything because the supplements are owned by someone else."

So you purists are gonna wanna keep hanging on to the AB discs.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #139
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Those screensshots look amazing...makes me feel a little better about preordering those steelbooks.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #140
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Update:
http://synapse-films.com/news/a-demo...elease-update/
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #141
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
And people wonder why Synapse garners so much praise.

I'd rather have a short delay and have it right than get it early with many short comings. I'm very glad that I pre-ordered this and it sounds like it'll be a beaut.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #142
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
They could have been more subtle not directly referencing others.
Instead the completely bashed Arrows version to the ground.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #143
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Instead the completely bashed Arrows version to the ground.
He just told the facts. Arrow's Blu-rays of Demons 1/2 are pretty damned disappointing in the transfer and audio department, and have numerous flaws. He could have also added that the bitrate on the Arrow Blu-rays was horribly low, etc..

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #144
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

Quote:
That was a good read. I had no idea that that much work went into restoring older movies like these to a more proper version. I have the Demons / Demons 2 LE from Anchor Bay so this should be like night and day in comparison to Synapse's upcoming versions.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #145
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Don broke it down! I love that kind of insight into what it takes to bring our favorite retro films to the newest home ent. formats.
I always wondered about the USA theatrical (1986 Ascot Entertainment, holler!) dubbing differences from previous DVD/Laserdisc versions.
He really is after quality - but then Don's work has always been stellar.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #146
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
He just told the facts. Arrow's Blu-rays of Demons 1/2 are pretty damned disappointing in the transfer and audio department, and have numerous flaws. He could have also added that the bitrate on the Arrow Blu-rays was horribly low, etc..
Im not denying or refuting any of the facts.
But I still think they should have approached their update a little more subtle.
They should compare their release with the others but without harming anyone.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #147
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

I appreciate the heads up. However, I think one of the motivating reasons for the detailed update were people questioning whether or not these would actually make it out by the 29th. I confess I'm one of those people. With October in full swing and still no news I was becoming concerned with the progress of the release, being that I preordered very early on. I can wait a few more days if it means we're getting a definitive release. I just don't know if I'm going to be willing to pre-pay so far in advance again, especially if I already own a copy of the film(s).

Last edited by elDomenechHDG; 10-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #148
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
Im not denying or refuting any of the facts.
But I still think they should have approached their update a little more subtle.
They should compare their release with the others but without harming anyone.

I'm pretty sick of the padded corners all around us now. Arrow gets a free pass, like Anchor Bay use to, simply because they have nice covers. Don was civil but factual.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #149
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wow, it really sounds like they are going all-out with these transfers! I'm still not buying at those prices but it's cool that they will both be getting the kind of love that the fans deserve.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #150
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post

I'm pretty sick of the padded corners all around us now. Arrow gets a free pass, like Anchor Bay use to, simply because they have nice covers. Don was civil but factual.
I agree. I don't see the big deal in Don naming names. If Arrow wants to cut corners then people should know there are better quality discs out there. No one was bashing them, just being truthful.