Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #106
WesReviews
HackMaster

$91... for Demons 1 and 2??? WTF?????

$12 to ship two Blu-ray movies?? WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF???

Price gouging at its worst and most blatant.

Why on earth any company would want to emulate the Twilight Time business model, is beyond me. Yes, NOTLD, Christine, and Fright Night sold out... but out of the couple hundred other Blu-rays that Twilight Time has released, how many other sell-outs are there? None to my knowledge.

So yeah, $91 if you want to buy Demons 1 and 2 on Blu-ray. Ridiculous.

And from people who have already pre-ordered... they're charging your card immediately. Immediate charging for discs that don't come out till November? Is this some kinda half-assed kickstartery bullshit, where the people buying the disc are basically paying to have them produced?

I loves me some Bobby Rhodes, but I will NOT support a practice such as this.

I mean, for $91, I can probably find a decent multi-region Blu-ray player (or at least put that good chunk of money toward it) and then pick up the Arrow steelbook of BOTH movies for only $25.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Last edited by WesReviews; 05-30-2013 at 07:58 PM.
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #107
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Yeah those prices are ridiculous. I love both Demons films but I'll be sticking with the Anchor Bay and not breaking my wallet.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #108
burieddeep
Stalker

I'm sticking with my Arrow release.
burieddeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #109
Steel76
Maniac

People on Facebook is defending this, because Synapse put so much money into the restoration. Well, they used the same transfer that Arrow created back in Italy, and just did additional work on the colors and contrast. So I doubt that Synapse spent a fortune on this.
And if they are so low on money, then why donīt they save some money by NOT making steelbooks?? Gotta be more expensive than making a regular edition?

At least they could have limited the Steelbooks to 1500 copies, and make 1500 copies of a regular keepcase edition.

Oh well, I rather put my money on all the fantastic Scream Factory and Arrow releases coming up.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #110
deepred
Maniac

I only ordered the 1st one. I hope it comes before the end of September - that way I can have Bava sign it at an upcoming convention.

I skipped on Part 2 - enjoyed the second one till that silly baby demon appeared and it turned all Gremlins 2 Italian-style.

I hope Tenebre and Phenomena don't get the pricey hideous-cover steelbook limited edition shaft too.

Last edited by deepred; 05-30-2013 at 08:41 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #111
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
People on Facebook is defending this, because Synapse put so much money into the restoration. Well, they used the same transfer that Arrow created back in Italy, and just did additional work on the colors and contrast. So I doubt that Synapse spent a fortune on this.
And if they are so low on money, then why donīt they save some money by NOT making steelbooks?? Gotta be more expensive than making a regular edition?
I know that Synapse initially said that they would be working with the same transfers, but they are advertising these Steelbooks as coming from new HD scans.

- The transfer is from a new HD scan of the original 35mm negative, in 1080p/23.98fps 1.66:1 aspect ratio [not the same muted colors and weak black levels as previous released versions].
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #112
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

I just stumbled upon the Arrow releases for cheap, so I'm fine skipping these. I would like to have the exclusive bonus features and had they been priced like regular Synapse discs, I would've bought right away. But I don't have $91 for a double dip, so I'll wait a while and hope a regular edition is released.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #113
Suicide
Space Bastard!

I've been reading through the Facebook stuff and I saw this post from Synapse:

"Michael, standard non-limited releases are certainly not out of the question for the future."

The way it's written on the Synapse site makes it seem like there's no chance of standard releases. This one statement makes it sound like "yeah, we're totally going to make standard releases also." Maybe enough people bitched and made them change their minds already.

Sites I have no affiliation with, but highly recommend:
Hysteria Lives! . Bleeding Skull .
Suicide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #114
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide View Post
I've been reading through the Facebook stuff and I saw this post from Synapse:

"Michael, standard non-limited releases are certainly not out of the question for the future."

The way it's written on the Synapse site makes it seem like there's no chance of standard releases. This one statement makes it sound like "yeah, we're totally going to make standard releases also." Maybe enough people bitched and made them change their minds already.
They are so wishy-washy about these releases. I wish they would have had it altogether before they made an announcement. Pre-orders might start next week, maybe earlier, wait now in 30 minutes they will be up. Maybe we will have standard copies, maybe we won't. Maybe this, maybe that. At least TT gives you all the info straight up and aren't so fickle. I will say one thing that Synpase definitely wasn't fickle about - it was taking my money as soon as I pre-ordered.

Last edited by deepred; 05-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #115
WesReviews
HackMaster

For $100, you could instead buy 5 Scream Factory releases.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #116
spawningblue
Deadite

I'm not happy about it and I shouldn't be encouraging them with this practice, but I picked them both up. I love the first film, don't remember liking the second film that much but I had to have it to complete the set. I love steelbooks, it sounds like the PQ and AQ will be a step up from Arrows release (I'm not region free anyway), and the extras sound pretty damn good. I can almsot guarantee there will be regular editions for half the price but I would be disappointed not getting these, being the collector and steelbook fan that I am, and I'm sure these will triple in value quickly. 3D Disney titles are usually $35 plus tax here in Canada so this isn't that much of a difference. And although Shipping cost me an insane $19 for three movies (I grabbed the Document of the Dead Blu as well), at least it sounds like they are actually using that money to ship these properly. I tell you, for $97 for two movies, these better arrive mint or else I will be getting furious!

I just hope this isn't the norm for Synapse now. I see these selling out quickly, and Don deciding to release Tenebre and Phenomena the same way. I don't mind shelling out this much for a collector's limited editon once in a while (ie. once a year) but this better not become a regular thing. I can't afford to shell out the same amount for the Argento titles in a few months!

I always took Don as just another horror movie fan who treated his fans with respect, this seems out of character for him and a bit of a money grab. He knows horror fans will pay these prices and probably saw how profitable it was working for Twilight with their horror releases and decided to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, he has put in a lot more time and effort with these releases than Twilight, who just throw out whatever transfer they receive and releases a barebones disc, but still, this is not acceptable and I think it's a dick move to not announce a regular edition for folks who don't give a damn about a steelbook. I would probably go for the premium version myself as I have a problem, but for others it must suck. Especially considering they don't ship outside of NA.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 05-31-2013 at 01:02 AM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #117
ArrowBeach
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I'm not happy about it and I shouldn't be encouraging them with this practice, but I picked them both up. I love the first film, don't remember liking the second film that much but I had to have it to complete the set. I love steelbooks, it sounds like the PQ and AQ will be a step up from Arrows release (I'm not region free anyway), and the extras sound pretty damn good. I can almsot guarantee there will be regular editions for half the price but I would be disappointed not getting these, being the collector and steelbook fan that I am, and I'm sure these will triple in value quickly. 3D Disney titles are usually $35 plus tax here in Canada so this isn't that much of a difference. And although Shipping cost me an insane $19 for three movies (I grabbed the Document of the Dead Blu as well), at least it sounds like they are actually using that money to ship these properly. I tell you, for $97 for two movies, these better arrive mint or else I will be getting furious!

I just hope this isn't the norm for Synapse now. I see these selling out quickly, and Bill deciding to release Tenebre and Phenomena the same way. I don't mind shelling out this much for a collector's limited editon once in a while (ie. once a year) but this better not become a regular thing. I can't afford to shell out the same amount for the Argento titles in a few months!

I always took Bill as just another horror movie fan who treated his fans with respect, this seems out of character for him and a bit of a money grab. He knows horror fans will pay these prices and probably saw how profitable it was working for Twilight with their horror releases and decided to jump on the bandwagon. Yes, he has put in a lot more time and effort with these releases than Twilight, who just throws out whatever transfer they receive and releases a barebones disc, but still, this is not acceptable and I think it's a dick move to not announce a regular edition for folks who don't give a damn about a steelbook. I would probably go for the premium version myself as I have a problem, but for others it must suck. Especially considering they don't ship outside of NA.
Bill? You must mean Don?
ArrowBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #118
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowBeach View Post
Bill? You must mean Don?
Yes, yes I do.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #119
ArrowBeach
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Yes, yes I do.
cool, thought you were confusing Lustig with Don, probably due to the Argento connection?
ArrowBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #120
Marv Inc.
Stalker

Although these will be better than the arrow blu's for that price i'am happy to hold onto my arrow blu's. I only really like the first one and if they release non-steelbooks next year sometime i might pick one of those up.