Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
booper71
HackMaster

Mr. Slaussen or Farmer Vincent?

Tourist Trap and Motel Hell were a year apart, in both films the antogonists were codgers. Chuck Connors and Rory Calhoun did great jobs and both film had similar theme in that they ran a family business.

Both actors were very close in age as well, both also died while in their 70's.

So, amongst these two only, who is your favorite?

Mr. Slaussen (Tourist Trap)
or
Farmer Vincent (Motel Hell)

Last edited by booper71; 01-26-2014 at 05:59 AM.
booper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
maybrick
HackMaster

Farmer Vincent. Even named my son after him!

(no, sorry, it was Vincent Price.)

I've only seen Tourist Trap once but I practically grew up with Motel Hell, so honestly I just can't vote any other way.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Fuck Chuck Connors- he had Larry Cohen fired from Branded because he discovered it was an allegory for blacklisting.

I go with Vincent as well. The trip machine scene just leaves so many fascinating questions about his character.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Erick H.
HackMaster

Rory Calhoun (who,like Conners,was best known as a star of westerns) gives a great,blackly comedic performance.Conners (who DOES score some laughs) is much more macabre however.The film is a fave of Stephen King's.I can't choose,apples to oranges.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
scott71670
Maniac

Gotta love Rory Calhoun. He was sort of the Snoop Dogg of the fifties. Also, loved him as Angel's father figure in Angel.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
dave13
HackMaster

I haven't seen either of these films....
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
booper71
HackMaster

Farmer Vincent for me as we'll but I admire the creepy role Chuck Connors played in Tourist Trap.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I have to say Farmer Vincent because Motel Hell is one of my all time favorites (I even have some French lobby cards currently en route, already have the American set). But still, this is a really difficult choice because Tourist Trap isn't far behind. Actually, Tourist Trap was one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I haven't seen either of these films....

I'm a little jealous, because that means you get to see them both for the first time.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post

I'm a little jealous, because that means you get to see them both for the first time.
I was just reading the Tourist Trap blu ray thread, and it reminded me of this. Are these films honestly that good? Wasn't the Tourist Trap dvd released by Full Moon? That's not exactly an indicator of quality...

I guess I should make some effort to see them, but I never realized they were supposed to be anything special. I didn't even include them in my post in the "famous films you haven't seen" thread.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I was just reading the Tourist Trap blu ray thread, and it reminded me of this. Are these films honestly that good? Wasn't the Tourist Trap dvd released by Full Moon? That's not exactly an indicator of quality...

I guess I should make some effort to see them, but I never realized they were supposed to be anything special. I didn't even include them in my post in the "famous films you haven't seen" thread.
Yes, absolutely!

Tourist Trap isn't really like the Full Moon films you're probably thinking of. It's more like a cross between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Mother's Day. I can't recommend it enough.

I'd also highly recommend Motel Hell, however I think my affection for it is probably more nostalgia. I imagine someone seeing both films for the first time now would probably prefer Tourist Trap. I think it has this fun bizarre atmosphere that reminds me of movies like Spider Baby and Crawlspace. It's one of my all time favorites. I've now got 16 different lobby cards for it hanging above my DVD collection.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
dave13
HackMaster

wow, ok. i'll make them both a priority then. thanks.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
booper71
HackMaster

This was around the Empire pictures era from Charles Band and company and it had some play in theaters - much bigger budgets than the later DTV fare Full Moon would specialize in.

Did you know the guy who directed Puppet Master lensed Tourist Trap.

As for Motel Hell, it still is fun but dated, has a Wolfman Jack cameo, and Beulah Balbricker (?) from Porkys in it.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #13
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
As for Motel Hell, it still is fun but dated, has a Wolfman Jack cameo, and Beulah Balbricker (?) from Porkys in it.
I've got no problem with films being "dated" (and I've never seen Porky's either )
Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
The Tall Man
Stalker

Just watched Motel Hell again for about the 10th time. Still love it, and I disagree with the comment about it being dated. It's a far better paced film than Tourist Trap, with some really good humour in it. Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons are great in it, and Wolfman Jack's cameo is classic. I still like Tourist Trap, and am a Chuck Connors fan also, but it is not in the same league in my opinion.

Dave13, yes you have to see both. And sit down and watch Porkys 1 and 2 back to back also, they are awesome. Porkys 3 isn't so great but still has a few laughs.
The Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Mr. Slaussen is telekenetic. There's no escaping him.
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote