Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-25-2002, 07:04 AM   #1
Max Yokell

Stephen King's Graveyard Shift

The other day I was wandering the aisles of Best Buy looking for something creepy for the weekend viewing.

I came across a DVD with a skull looking at me and said...This is it.

It was Graveyard Shift. I had not seen this one before, but I picked it up anyway.

So tonight after it got good and Dark (movies look best in my house after dark and more so for Horror) I decided to pop this one in. Nice 16x9 transfer with a 1:85 ratio. 5.1 soundtrack. The DVD transfer came off as very filmlike.

It was actually a pretty good time. I really enjoyed this movie. It was just kind of creepy. Plot had a couple of holes, but don't they all? The creature effects were pretty damn good and being from the early 90s were not all CGI. A few scenes of bloody gore. Hey even the acting wasn't bad.

No extras, but hey that is what I expect on Paramount horror movies.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:08 AM   #2
Andrew

Odd, was just wondering if this one was good-bad or just plain bad-bad as I've heard.

I love SILVER BULLET, and rented it again on an old VHS so I can be more pleased with the new DVD (I only rent VHS, to see if I like the movie for the movie, and also so that even if the DVD is barebones I still have at least the OAR to look forward to). Corey Haim in a wheelchair talking about tits. Gary Busey as a drunk uncle giving his crippled nephew fire works and a suped-up wheelchair. I love this movie .
Old 05-25-2002, 05:04 PM   #3
hell ya!
~Go ahead, make my day~

I really enjoy both of these movies and i might pick up the Graveyard Shift disc because i have not seen that movie in a long time. I have the SILVER BULLET vhs and that can hold me over untill i get some more $$$$$$.

"Devil on the left
An angel on the right
There's no mistake
Who I'll be with tonight"
DANZIG
hell ya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 05:14 PM   #4
Max Yokell

I always thought Silver Bullet got a bum wrap man.

Another King based movie I liked was NightFlyer.

Graveyard Shift, is not great but it is far from being bad. It does have a cool looking creature that is not made in a computer. It has some blood and gore of the type we don't see much of since Scream.

At a minimum it is worth a rent.

Max
Old 05-25-2002, 11:18 PM   #5
dcrw6
Victim

I love both Graveyard Shift and Silver Bullet. They're both movies I used to watch over and over as a kid. I got both of these and the new Starship Troopers on preorder for next Tuesday. Best Buy must have put it out early like they usually do. Stupid smurfs can't read a release date right.
dcrw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 11:33 PM   #6
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

Graveyard Shift is a decent movie. I'm a bigger fan of Silver Bullet. Paramount gave us two lame ass releases for both these flicks though. Isn't it funny how on the back in the special features box it says "Special features not rated" , yet there aren't ANY (not even a goddamn trailer) extras? How funny. Fuck Paramount. Fuck them in their stupid asses.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 01:13 AM   #7
evileye
Stalker

Anyone happen to find THE FAN, which was supposed to be released with this set? Wanted that and Burial Ground and have found nothing this week in the usual street-date breakers!
evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:09 AM   #8
Andrew

Saw SILVER BULLET at Best Buy for $17.99 - same price as THE BLOB disc (it's either Columbia or Fox, sorry for not knowing), which is also barebones. In this case, Paramount doesn't seem to deserve a jab in the ass . That is pretty fucking stupid though - "Special Features Not Rated". My guess is it was just a goof, maybe they have a template for all their covers? I dunno, but they're too stupid to have tried to trick us. Atleast it doesn't say something along the lines of "See disc for Special Features" - cuz that'd be harsh .

Last edited by Andrew; 05-28-2002 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:07 AM   #9
JoeLeo74

Picked them up today for 19.99 each at dvd planet. Really never liked SB to much but Graveyard Shift is a sweet movie
Old 05-29-2002, 05:37 PM   #10
Max Yokell

Well I got Silver Bullet yesterday and it is a Paramount title. Haven't watched the DVD yet but it is free of the burden of extras, so it had better be a nice transfer.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:37 PM   #11
y2doublet
Toxic Crusader

If you have a multi-region player I recommend checking out the British site www.play.com which has Momentum Pictures release of Silver Bullet for a mere 8.99 including shipping (which should translate to around $13). This version comes with a commentary-track with the director.
y2doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 04:49 AM   #12
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I want that reg2 Silver Bullet, but play.com doesn't ship to the US. Amazon and Blackstar are almost double the price, probably more after shipping. Can anyone get this cheap and trade me for some cheap US dvd? email me at bigdaddyhorse420@yahoo.com with price, desired titles, and references.
Thanks in advance.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

It's been ages since I've popped in my dvd of Graveyard Shift but last night I decided it was time to watch it again and man, what a blast. I love this film; from the terrible accent they give the boss, to the unique setting and pretty damn good effects, this film is a blast. Does anyone else here find this movie thoroughly enjoyable or is it just me? Maybe it's just my nostalgia talking but I don't care, this film needs more love!

I'm hoping they bring this to blu soon with a nice new transfer.

Last edited by Zombie Dude; 07-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Zombie Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
bachmann
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
It's been ages since I've popped in my dvd of Graveyard Shift but last night I decided it was time to watch it again and man, what a blast. I love this film; from the terrible accent they give the boss, to the unique setting and pretty damn good effects, this film is a blast. Does anyone else here find this movie thoroughly enjoyable or is it just me? Maybe it's just my nostalgia talking but I don't care, this film need more love!

I'm hoping they bring this to blu soon with a nice new transfer.
I agree. And man i love Brad Dourif in it.
bachmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #15
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachmann View Post
I agree. And man i love Brad Dourif in it.
Brad Dourif's character is great. The graveyard scene makes me sad though for obvious reasons.