Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Benson and Moorhead's Spring (2015)

From the directors of Resoultion (one of my favorite films of 2013). Does anyone plan on seeing this, because I am real excitied for it.

Synopsis
Evan (Pucci) is a young American fleeing to Europe to escape his past. While backpacking along the Italian coast, everything changes during a stop at an idyllic Italian village, where he meets and instantly connects with the enchanting and mysterious Louise. A flirtatious romance begins to bloom between the two however, Evan soon realizes that Louise has been harboring a monstrous, primordial secret that puts both their relationship and their lives in jeopardy.

Official Trailer

Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I thought Resolution was a total bore, easily one of the most overrated genre films of the past few years. Trailer looks very derivative of Afflicted and Contracted, neither of which I was a huge fan of. If it garners decent buzz, I'd probably check it out for free on NetFlix, but it's far from the top of my watch list.

Wow, Lou Taylor Pucci looks unrecognizable in that trailer.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

Although I liked "Resolution" a lot more, Spring is still another solid effort from Benson & Moorhead. If you go into this expecting a creature feature blood bath you will be disappointed. What you get here is more of a drama based romance with a horror movie flair. The film is very heavy on dialogue and character developement so expect a very slow burn until the final act. The Italian landscape is goregeous, and the cinematography compliments it very well. I can't complain about much of anything because this is a very well exceuted film from start to finish, I just wasn't crazy about the ending. The last 30 minutes or so really builds up tension, leading the viewer to believe the finale would be balls to the walls and nihilistic. Instead, it kind of just ends, leaving the out come hanging.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
Paff

Benson and Moorehead had a couple of panels at Comic-Con a few weeks ago, so I decided to check out Spring (they were tossing copies of the movie to the attendees, but I did not get one). I too disliked Resolution, but I wanted to give them another chance.

I liked Spring a lot more, but oddly enough, only until the creature shows up. It had a really good indie-film vibe going, and wasn't trying to convey any horror mood at all (unlike say, Hostel, where you know there's something sinister in the air as the Americans tour Europe). And once the creature is revealed, the movie grinds to a halt because so much time is spent explaining its pathology and goals (and to be completely honest, I'm not sure I understood what the two leads were trying to do).

I like that they tried to invent a new monster that wasn't mired in the rules of previous films, like what happens with werewolves or vampires. But ultimately, it became too confusing and I lost interest.

Maybe they should just make indie films instead, and not try to add the horror element? Because that part they have down.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
russweiss
HackMaster

I didn't care for this film. I watched it free on Prime so I guess it saved me buying the blu-ray.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

This took too long to get to the horror stuff, was way too slow and had a terrible ending that felt abrubpt and had me confused. I liked the creature designs though but they were too scarce and didn't really go anywhere. Its plot is basically just "love story" nothing else happens outside of the two main characters.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I absolutely loved it. The chemistry between the two leads was fantastic, I loved the slow build to the horror stuff (which was handled extremely well IMO) and the ending was fantastic.

One of my new favorites.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

I just bought the DVD a few weeks back and haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Ticked me off that it showed up on Amazon Prime. I would have watched it for free instead of trying a blind buy. Reactions are really mixed on this one.
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Trailer is awesome. Really curious about this one. Will add to queue.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote