Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #46
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
You've never heard of Van Helsing's long lost sister?
I have now lol!
Buechlers_beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #47
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
It definitely has a lot in common with Van Helsing, no doubt about it. But where Van Helsing fails miserably, Hansel and Gretel succeeds by:

1) Not taking itself seriously at all!

2) Not relying completely on CGI. There are tons of practical effects and real world location work on display here. Van Helsing felt like all of the acting was in front of a green screen for the entire time.

3) Having a likeable cast.

4) Keeping the script simple and straight forward by focusing solely on witches. Van Helsing, in comparison, was completely convoluted with the need to throw every well known Universal Monster into the mix. It was just sensory overload and flat out didn't work at all.

5) Not having a legacy behind it. In the end this may be what damned Van Helsing the most. It took the Universal classic monsters we all grew up with as it's inspiration and then pretty much set upon bastardizing them by making the film an action film rather than a horror movie like it should have been. Hansel and Gretel in comparison is allowed to be it's own thing because it wasn't held to any real expectations of what it "should" be.

Maybrick nailed it.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #48
othervoice1
HackMaster

I watched this again tonight- and I do not care if most of the critics said it was awful - I really enjoy this movie (and looks great in 3D too). For anyone else that liked it it appears a sequel is in the works for 2016- I just hope they have Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton in the lead roles again

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Hanse...016-43517.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2784082/
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #49
mclay18
Maniac

Tommy Wirkola says he's submitted a sequel draft to Paramount, and that it's in their hands now. He also doesn't know about Renner's availability, what with him doing Avengers, Bourne, Mission Impossible 5, et al.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...2-script-done/
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:23 AM   #50
othervoice1
HackMaster

I guess Spielberg is working on some sort of Hansel and Gretel movie as well - which might be confusing for some people- lol . I expect that to be quite a different toned movie <:
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote