Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #106
Workshed
October!

@ making fun of people for tattooing their hobbies on their bodies. Yeah, who would ever do that but total hipsters, right?

Oh wait.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #107
maybrick
HackMaster

Actually, it just occurred to me that I have more than one Wizard tape. I also have Student Union tucked away somewhere. I think I'll get rid of my copy of Zombie and proudly display Student Union for all to see.

You know, because of the irony.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #108
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Since you're making a "statement" can I buy your Zombie big box off of ya?
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #109
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Since you're making a "statement" can I buy your Zombie big box off of ya?
Not until I post a 30 minute long diatribe on youtube about how cool it is to own it first. But I just may declare it a bootleg and decide to destroy it at the end. Haven't decided it yet.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #110
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

Not even the Legion is safe from the hipster mob!

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/how...152318523.html
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #111
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated Prey View Post
What kind of goodies have you found at GoodWill? I have checked out 2 in last couple years and man, there was nothing but terrible crap in CT.
not VHS, but I found Anchor Bay's Dr. Who box set (the Peter Cushing films) for $2.50 at my local goodwill. picked it up on a whim, and then found out that its OOP and pretty pricey on Ebay. Also got AB's 2-disc Nosferatu release for $1.50 (I'm not sure if it's OOP, but it was always too expensive for me when I would look online for it).
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #112
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Sorry, but I didn't realize that in order to not be labelled a hipster that you had to be a "hardcore" collector and devote "time, energy, and knowledge" to the cause. Silly me. I guess because I don't search high and low for Wizard video tapes and only pick them up when I come across them in a budget bin but otherwise don't give them much thought that makes me a hipster, too. I may as well turn in my collectors badge and lone Wizard copy of Zombie in at the head office. Give me a break. That definition doesn't make me or anybody else a hipster, but it certainly makes you a snob if you believe that malarkey.

I guess if I had to choose between being somewhat normal and in danger of being labelled a hipster (apparently the 21st century version of last century's "poser") or living the solitary existence of the comic book guy from The Simpsons, I'll gladly take the former.
Clearly you misread my post. The original point was that hipsters were hardcore VHS collectors and I posted my opinion on the contrary. If you think posting that makes me a snob then that's just silly. Clearly you are insecure about being labeled a hipster which is fine, but I made no such claims about you personally. Lighten up Francis.

Last edited by 17thJuggalo; 04-12-2013 at 06:04 PM.
17thJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #113
WesReviews
HackMaster

Hipsters like VHS ironically. They don't actually like or appreciate it. It's more of a "You're buying these new DVDs and Blu-rays (i.e. you're "mainstream")... look what I'm still buying. VHS."

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #114
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesReviews View Post
Hipsters like VHS ironically. They don't actually like or appreciate it. It's more of a "You're buying these new DVDs and Blu-rays (i.e. you're "mainstream")... look what I'm still buying. VHS."
Exactly. The hipster flow chart is really simple: Do you do thinks ironically on purpose?

Yes - you're a hipster
No - you're not a hipster
Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #115
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

These ‘tards think VHS is the new vinyl. Its fucking not. VHS is an inferior format. If you choose to watch a film on VHS rather than its DVD/BD counterpart either for ironic purposes or for some other psychopathic reasoning (barring the film is not cut, or incorrect in any other way), you are not a hipster, you are just plain stupid.

By all means collect VHS for the cover art or because the film doesn’t exist on disc format, or for any other nostalgic reasons,… but if you are going to watch some dark, blurry, pan & scan abomination of what the film makers originally intended a film to look like as some sort of rebellion against mainstream-ism, you are an idiot and God help us all if you choose to reproduce.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #116
booper71
HackMaster

Any horrors or SOV that is Betamax exclusive and never jumped to Vhs?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #117
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thJuggalo View Post
Clearly you misread my post. The original point was that hipsters were hardcore VHS collectors and I posted my opinion on the contrary. If you think posting that makes me a snob then that's just silly. Clearly you are insecure about being labeled a hipster which is fine, but I made no such claims about you personally. Lighten up Francis.
As I said, I'm fine with being labelled a hipster because it says a lot more about the insecurities of the person that's doing the labelling than it does about me. Honestly, like the Boogeyman I don't even think hipsters even exist. They're just what people call others who like the same things you do and they make you feel jealous. Either that or they people they are describing aren't really hipsters at all but just plain good old fashioned douchebags.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #118
old-boo-radley
They stay the same age...

For the record, I did say hipster merely as douchebag. Didn't think the difference between the two was going to spark a debate on the discernibility of the terms.

I just think that buying the big box tapes, unless it holds a special place in your heart or isn't on DVD is sort of goofy. I buy a ton of shit, but I don't in any way collect based on rarity or buying movies I'd never watch on the format just to say I have the big box format version of it. Money is much better spent on uncut genre film DVDs and Blus that are uncut and look better than ever.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #119
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
As I said, I'm fine with being labelled a hipster because it says a lot more about the insecurities of the person that's doing the labelling than it does about me. Honestly, like the Boogeyman I don't even think hipsters even exist. They're just what people call others who like the same things you do and they make you feel jealous. Either that or they people they are describing aren't really hipsters at all but just plain good old fashioned douchebags.
Just for the record I wasn't trying to call you a hipster or anything. We're all friends here.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #120
booper71
HackMaster

Imagine if Charles found boxes of his Atari 2600 game packaging in storage somewhere!
I probably just encouraged him.