Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's the best Alien Invasion horror movie?
The Blob 4 4.94%
Critters 0 0%
Dark Skies 1 1.23%
Day of the Triffids 1 1.23%
Lifeforce 2 2.47%
The Faculty 1 1.23%
Invaders from Mars 0 0%
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 17 20.99%
Killer Klowns from Outer Space 3 3.70%
Night of the Creeps 4 4.94%
Predator 2 2.47%
The Quatermass Xperiment 1 1.23%
Signs 3 3.70%
Slither 0 0%
Species 0 0%
They Live 5 6.17%
The Thing 34 41.98%
Vilage of the Damned 1 1.23%
War of the Worlds 1 1.23%
Other 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
rhett

Best Alien Invasion Movie

Aliens have done some damage to us earthlings over the years in cinema, and with Chunkblower's review of DARK SKIES just in, let's consider which horror film did alien invasion best.

To allow for more spots for other movies, remakes and sequels have all been consolidated into the original film. So if you want to vote for Body Snatchers (1993) just vote Invasion of the Body Snatchers. If you want to vote Critters 3 (why, god, why??) then vote Critters. Just specify in this thread what version you've picked.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Anything Don Dohler.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
msw7
Morso a morte

While The Thing, Species, Slither, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) are favorites, I have to give some love to Evil Aliens. No other alien invasion movie I know of features motivational farm music, so there's that.
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
dave13
HackMaster

I voted for Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). On its merits as a film alone, I enjoy The Thing (1982) more, but to be honest that one feels more like a monster movie than an alien invasion movie to me. So within the parameters of the poll question, which one is a better alien invasion movie? I go with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
I voted for Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). On its merits as a film alone, I enjoy The Thing (1982) more, but to be honest that one feels more like a monster movie than an alien invasion movie to me. So within the parameters of the poll question, which one is a better alien invasion movie? I go with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
I went with The Thing, but Invasion is a close second. I was surprised to see in the Top 100 thread, that not too many others feel the same as it just barely squeaked in the list. I agree with you though, even though I picked The Thing, Invasion is probably the better alien invasion movie. Fire in the Sky is probably the creepiest alien abduction flick though.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
deepred
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Agree, I see The Thing as more of a monster film than an alien invasion. I picked Body Snatchers too but also really enjoy They Live.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Dobby
HackMaster

Signs pretty much blows the rest of these out of the water. Such a great movie really wish the director hadn't become such a douche bag.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Wow, I love Signs too but I don't really think it can hold a candle to Carpenter's The Thing.
Signs featured great chemistry between Gibson and Phoenix, was suitably spooky, and more complex than this usual type of genre offering (certainly better than Dark Skies), but I don't see it as a standout film.
I do think it was M. Knight Shamamamaramram's best film though, no doubt.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
russweiss
Maniac

The Thing and Predator are two of my absolute favorite films but neither really feels like an alien invasion movie to me so I voted for War of the Worlds.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
KGBRadioMoskow
HackMaster

I tend to differentiate between alien invasion and alien infestation, the former requires intelligent intent to both arrive and take over, the latter just involves presence by accident/incident and doesn't even require any intelligent design when they get here. I also don't consider visitations to be invasions.

Even ignoring the nit picking criteria above, for me the list clearly stops at the Quatermass series, a set of tales undeniably about alien invasion (well, the first film might be just infestation). Apart from Invasion of the Body Snatchers (especially the 1978 version), the original Village of the Damned, a qualified nod to the miniseries Invasion Earth, and tongue in cheek props to They Live, few films have done thought provoking alien invasion like Quatermass and the Pit.

While the film franchise was nothing special, I have to admit the basic premise of Species (invasion by sending DNA sequences and letting gullible humans create their own destruction) was clever in its devious low effort nature. Itís like alien invasion via Spam email attachment - lazily write the thing, click send, then wait and see if anyone is dumb enough to open it.
KGBRadioMoskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
shape22
HackMaster

Kaufman's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers for me. Never again will we see that kind of cast in a legitimate horror movie. Today you could only assemble that level of talent for PG-13 mass market-friendly drivel.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #12
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Mok
Helena Harper

I think the net was cast too wide here. I'm not sure how to qualify it, but pitting Dark Skies against The Thing or Predator seems unfair.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
baggio
HackMaster

Invasion U.S.A. (1985)
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I voted John Carpenter's The Thing. 2nd would be the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote