Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Alan Ormsby's DERANGED (1974) and Jeff Lieberman's SQUIRM (1976) from Arrow (UK)

From Blu-Ray.com
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10459

Quote:
Independent British distributors Arrow Video have revealed that they are planning to bring to Blu-ray two cult horror films: Alan Ormsby's Deranged (1974), starring Roberts Blossom, Cosette Lee, and Leslie Carlson, and Jeff Lieberman's Squirm (1976), starring Don Scardino, Patricia Pearcy, and R.A. Dow. Both are expected to arrive on the market later this year.

Deranged
Ezra's good at making friends... into home furnishings! Based on the same terrifying true story that inspired Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Silence of the Lambs, this hauntingly scary film chronicles the grisly exploits of a rural necrophilliac and murderer! Brace yourself for a "solid horror story" (Variety) that's guaranteed to make you bite your nails... because if you don't, Ezra will.

Squirm
When a powerful storm knocks Fly Creek, Georgia's power lines down onto wet soil, the resulting surge of electricity drives large, bloodthirsty worms to the surface-and then out of their soil-tilling minds! Soon, the townspeople discover that their sleepy fishing village is overrun with worms that burrow right into their skin! Inundated by hundreds of thousands of carnivorous creatures, the terrorized locals race to find the cause of the rampage-before becoming tilled under themselves!
Two more favorites of mine! I'm usually pretty critical of Arrow, but it does seem like they've been trying harder lately. Also, since MGM was in charge of the remastering, I imagine they'll look great.

Someone should check with Shout Factory and see if these are on their upcoming schedule -- if not, I'll definitely bite on these imports!

(Can a mod change the thread title to read DERANGED? Darn typos!)

Last edited by bruce h; 02-12-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Please change the thread title!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Good, I can finally retire my Deranged/Motel Hell double feature and Squirm DVDs and replace them with (hopefully) high-quality Blu-rays. Feels great whenever I get rid of a drab old SD disc with awful cover art. As for inquiring with Cliff about some of these titles, he has turned down so many that I'm afraid to ask him. He said Shout doesn't have Without Warning and Scorpion is claiming they also don't have it so I suggested that perhaps Arrow has licensed some of the ones Shout has said no to. I keep forgetting that Arrow's Blu's are now region-locked so that theory doesn't really hold any water.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Cool news! Although I'm sure I'm screwed since they seem to have let go with the All Region releases.

As for your type-o, it's probably easier to just delete the post and create a new. I've done it before.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Any word on if Deranged will be uncut?

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
If it is then I'll definitely bite. I enjoy Deranged, but I'm satisfied with the MGM DVD and an uncut blu will most likely be the only double-dip scenario on this title for me.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post

Someone should check with Shout Factory and see if these are on their upcoming schedule -- if not, I'll definitely bite on these imports!
Cliff has unfortunately denied having Squirm, Deranged, or Motel Hell. Extremely disappointing especially since these titles are region locked.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Awesome news! Between Scream/Shout and Arrow's releases for the year, I'm gonna be broke!
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
maybrick
HackMaster

I prefer the title "Deranger". Seriously
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Im definitely picking these up regardless of transfer. These are two of my favorites, and I definitely want to be spoiled by the supplements Arrow packs with their releases. I just wish they could have released this before Roberts Blossom passed away for perhaps an interview or a few words with him. I would love to hear what that guy has to say about any of the numerous movies he had appeared in.he was easily one of the most underrated actors in the biz.

Plus if Shout! has already stated they wont be releasing these titles, Id say there is a pretty slim chance these will get an HD treatment stateside as Shout! is really the only company giving these kind of niche films the time of day (on BD) and putting them out on a consistent release schedule. Their current/future slate of HD releases is truly unmatched.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Deranged rocks. I didn't see it until it was paired on DVD with Motel Hell, mainly because I didn't think I'd like it. But when I finally did see it, I was surprised by how good it was. Underrated flick. If it's region free, I might upgrade.

Squirm is fun, but I'll probably stick with the DVD.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Awesome! I love Jeff Lieberman, and Squirm is my favourite of his. Can't wait to pre-order. I might get Deranged as well, though I honestly disliked on my first and only viewing about ten years ago.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
Risky1975
Screamy Bopper

Yessssss! Can't wait, i honestly could care less what region movies are .. i have been region free for years...im geeked! Now i can get rid of my double feature from mgm!
Risky1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #13
startide
Stalker

I have a feeling I derived one of my favourite expressions from Deranged. To this day I still say yessum. (Assuming I remember that correctly, of course.)

Takes me back to the Channel 10 horror movie nights. It wasn't an official thing, just every Thursday night (IIRC) they'd show a horror film late night. Deranged, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, The Changeling, Cellar Dweller.... But now... Damn you infomercials!!!
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorallySound View Post
Around the time he discovered the BLUE VELVET outtakes, I asked MGM restorationist Darren Gross about the GHOULIES 2 R-rated footage I also heard he tracked down. His response:

Quote:
"The Ghoulies 2 R footage does exist. It was transferred when it was re-mastered in HD back in 2002 and put at the end of all our masters. No one has opted to make any use of it, so far.

I transferred the brain scooping from Deranged from the producer's only extant print, about a year ago as well. It was in pretty terrible condition, but Post Group were able to work some minor miracles on it. Still not perfect, but acceptable.

If these ever end up on Blu-ray, all they need to do is drop the alternate sequences in. No fuss no muss."
So the uncut footage exists, it has been transferred from Tom Karr's print and cleaned -- now we just have to hope Arrow doesn't edit it back into the wrong spot!

Last edited by bruce h; 02-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
foller
Stalker

There was more than just the brain scene missing. I hope they cleaned up the other scenes from the uncut version as well.
foller is offline   Reply With Quote