Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-05-2002, 03:00 AM   #1
Cujo108

Targets

This film is an absolute ahead of its time classic! The film is quite scary when you think about it, and director Peter Bogdanovich's direction is right on. The film is very well acted, very thought provoking, and very entertaining. Boris Karloff, as always, delivers an outstanding performance, and he couldn't have picked a better final film! This classic is thankfully finally hitting DVD next year in April, and I can't wait! What do you all think of this film?
Old 11-05-2002, 04:58 AM   #2
MaxRenn
Stalker

This is a great movie. What's interesting is Bogdanovich contrasting real violence and movie violence and the way he resolves the conflict. Great ending.
MaxRenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:06 AM   #3
rhett

Bogdanovich's early work, from TARGET's to PAPER MOON are some of my favorite films from the late 60's and early 70's. Three of his classics from that time are coming out next year, and I can't wait to get my hands on them!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
DeepDownTraumaHound

- -

The Last Picture Show is amazing. I will check out Targets Asap.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:17 AM   #5
KillerCannabis
Slow, Deep & Hard

I'd like to see this. I've never seen a Bogdanovich movie, but after seeing his acting turn on The Sopranos, I'd love to give one of his movies a shot.
KillerCannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
BlazingMagnum

Yo! Noce to be back to the forums!

Targets is one of those movies I've wanted to see for years - but still haven't managed to catch it! It gets shown on TV sometimes here - but so far, I've missed all the screenings!!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #7
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Blaze, it's about fucking time you came back dude!

Movie Tracker 2015
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:39 PM   #8
BlazingMagnum

Thumbs up Fuk yeh!

Billy, man - I've been away - but now I'm back!
Good to hear from you - and hopefully I should be on the forums again regularly from now on!

*Raises can to HellBilly, and the rest of the folks on the boards*

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Saw this for the first time tonight and really liked it. I'd never seen any Bogdanovich before a Paper Moon viewing last week and after that and this I'd say the man is becoming one of my favs.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
rhett

The man owns all...be sure to watch The Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc?, They All Laughed, Nickelodeon and At Long Last Love. I'm surprised At Long Last Love hasn't made it to DVD yet, what with Burt Reynolds, Cybill Shepherd and Madeline Kahn the leads.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #11
Egg_Shen
broomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
The man owns all...be sure to watch The Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc?, They All Laughed, Nickelodeon and At Long Last Love. I'm surprised At Long Last Love hasn't made it to DVD yet, what with Burt Reynolds, Cybill Shepherd and Madeline Kahn the leads.

Do you really like At Long Last Love? I want to like it, but really it's not very good. It was a very bold move on Bogdanovich's part, but the main problem is that the actors aren’t on par with the ones from the musicals Bogdanovich aspires to. Nickelodeon I like quite a bit. I've yet to see the new director's cut, but I have seen it in black and white as he suggests, and it makes a considerable difference. I'm surprised you didn't mention Saint Jack. That one's really good to me.

Last edited by Egg_Shen; 09-22-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Egg_Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I've been meaning to check out this movie forever, but never got around to it. I remember it being one of the primary subjects of the book Shock Value, but it has been a few years since I've read that.

Finally managed to pick up the out-of-print pressed DVD from Paramount for only $5. It just showed up in the mail, I've been giddy about receiving it all week. Warner Archive recently re-released the film as a burn-on-demand DVD-R.

I'm really excited to finally check this one out! Will probably give it a spin tomorrow night.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I've been meaning to check out this movie forever, but never got around to it. I remember it being one of the primary subjects of the book Shock Value, but it has been a few years since I've read that.

Finally managed to pick up the out-of-print pressed DVD from Paramount for only $5. It just showed up in the mail, I've been giddy about receiving it all week. Warner Archive recently re-released the film as a burn-on-demand DVD-R.

I'm really excited to finally check this one out! Will probably give it a spin tomorrow night.
One of my favorites! Enjoy.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
Erick H.
HackMaster

TARGETS is still one of Bogdanovich's best films and it is a master class in acting from the great Boris Karloff. Trivia note: the guy that gets shot in the phone booth is Mike Farrell who later played B.J. on TV's M.A.S.H.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #15
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I was a little disappointed in the film, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good or that I didn't like it. I liked it quite a bit actually. Even though I had never seen the film before, I was familiar with it and I knew where it was headed. I wasn't expecting it to take over an hour to get there, as they don't get to the drive-in until the last 20 minutes.

The last 30 minutes of the film were quite strong and powerful, but the first hour was a bit dry. I loved the Karloff stuff, it's a very poignant dramatic role for him (widely considered his last, and it's a perfect swan song for him), but I didn't think it gelled well with the Bobby plot. It might have worked better with the Karloff scenes all at the beginning, then moving into the Bobby plot instead of cutting back and forth between the two. Bobby's story was supposed to escalate, and eventually it does, but it loses a lot of momentum during the first hour by the constantly changing storyline.

Still, I would highly recommend the film, even though I imagine most people have already seen it. Even though I'm late to the party, I'm glad to have finally seen it. I wouldn't be surprised if I even appreciate it more on a second viewing.