Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Demoni
HackMaster

Deranged (Arrow Video) / 12th August

Real-life Wisconsin serial killer Ed Gein inspired many distinguished films, including Psycho, The Silence of the Lambs and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, but none is quite as disturbing as Deranged.

Roberts Blossom gives an alarmingly convincing performance as rural eccentric Ezra Cobb, whose mother’s death unhinges him to the point where he not only lovingly preserves her corpse in the living room but also goes out to find ‘friends’ to keep her company – not all of whom are dead when he finds them! Perversely, Ezra’s more worried about what mother would say about his various activities than he is about the prospect of being found out. Indeed, like Gein, he’s cheerfully open about his activities when visiting friends, but no-one believes him.

Like Carnival of Souls and The Honeymoon Killers, this is one of American horror cinema’s great one-offs, an eerie, genuinely unsettling but also darkly comic experience.

Special Features:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the unrated version, featuring the infamous ‘brain-scooping scene’, available uncut in the UK for the first time!
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with special effects artist Tom Savini
- Introduction to the film by Savini
- A Blossoming Brilliance: Scott Spiegel (Intruder, Evil Dead II) speaks about Deranged star Roberts Blossom and the lasting legacy of this gore-soaked gem
- Ed Gein: From Murder to Movies – Laurence R. Harvey (The Human Centipide II) discusses the lurid legacy of the Wisconsin serial killer and the secrets of portraying a cinematic psychopath
- Original Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Nat Marsh
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA, and an archive interview with producer Bob Clark by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- And more to be announced!
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

I didn't care for this on my first and only viewing. I remember thinking reed organ music which dominates the film was so corny. But I definitely need to see it again. It is interesting as a piece of exploitation modelled so closely after an actual case that was, after all, a fairly recent memory at the time.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I revisited it for the first time about a month ago and really enjoyed it. I'm assuming all these releases are going to be Region locked?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Eddyw78
Stalker

Arrow Blus tend to be region locked. I wasent really sure about this when i first saw it years ago. maybe ill give it another go. A Tom Savini commentary sounds interesting though. Looks like lots of exciting things coming from Arrow. Just what genre fans in the UK needed.
Eddyw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
russweiss
Maniac

Love that artwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deranged lobby Mexico 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	6372  
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Still a must-buy, but I'm kind of bummed they didn't get the involvement of producer Tom Karr or his DERANGED CHRONICLES documentary, which included some cool behind-the-scenes super8 footage. Hopefully it's part of the "More to be announced"!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
Love that artwork.
Agreed, the first cover anyway.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Watched this for the first time recently on the MGM set with Motel Hell. This film SUCKS!!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
x666x
HackMaster

I liked it the first time, but upon a second viewing, I think it is rather excellent. This is great news and a definite buy for me.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Watched this for the first time recently on the MGM set with Motel Hell. This film SUCKS!!
Yeah.. it SUCKS ass for GREATNESS!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

Sorry, but pretty teenagers can't be in EVERY movie. And a movie dealing with this kind of subject matter can't have jokes or be otherwise funny. DERANGED is a seriously ****ed-up realistic horror flick, based on a real-life sicko. It sucks that there are people around us who are sadistic freaks but this film doesn't suck.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Sorry, but pretty teenagers can't be in EVERY movie. And a movie dealing with this kind of subject matter can't have jokes or be otherwise funny. DERANGED is a seriously ****ed-up realistic horror flick, based on a real-life sicko. It sucks that there are people around us who are sadistic freaks but this film doesn't suck.
Right on...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Sorry, but pretty teenagers can't be in EVERY movie.
But they ARE in this one - pretty Sally Mae!
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Very positive Blu-ray review for Arrow's release of Deranged up at DVDBeaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...ed_blu-ray.htm

I will definitely be picking this one up in my next Amazon.co.uk order when released. And the release date is August 19th, not August 12th. It's been bumped up a week.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado

Last edited by MorallySound; 08-08-2013 at 10:22 PM.
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
elDomenechHDG
Maniac

The review mentions a pristine uncut print that "briefly" surfaced in the mid 90's - what happened to that print?
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote