Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
eric_angelus
Testacular

The Nest hands down. I like Ticks, but it has a bit too many annoying characters who should die but don't. The Nest on the other hand? Catroach!
eric_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

I'd say The Nest is better. Ticks is fun but I think The Nest had better fx and a more interesting story.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #18
fceurich39
HackMaster

YEP TICKS!!!! i wish Mosquito 1995 would get a rerelease i like that one alot as well more than the nest!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Vandy View Post
Ticks - better film and released by a better company. Win, win.
??????????????????????

Olive doesn't hold a candle to Shout!.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #20
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
??????????????????????

Olive doesn't hold a candle to Shout!.
No arguments there, though I love having The Boogens on an officially released dvd aren't most of their releases bare bones with very little thought given to them?
Shout! Factory at least always makes the extra effort to make their titles cool and collectible.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #21
dickieduvet
Maniac

Olive don't DNR their titles like SF do, See Halloween II & III. Did you see their BD release of The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea...Holy shit....Bargain bin DVD quality. Hoping 'The Burning' at least has some grain.
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #22
Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieduvet View Post
Olive don't DNR their titles like SF do, See Halloween II & III. Did you see their BD release of The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea...Holy shit....Bargain bin DVD quality. Hoping 'The Burning' at least has some grain.
Uhhh...regarding The Sailor...that was the master Shout! was given. They had no control over it.

Sounds like you've been drinking Blu-Ray.com forum kool-aid there buddy.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #23
dickieduvet
Maniac

Not at all, Have you seen the comparison between the Universal Halloween II Blu and SF.

They do work on their transfers, Having viewed 'Sailor' they should have refused to release it until given proper materials!!

Like I said Olive's releases are un-molested
dickieduvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #24
Chomp

Yeah, that's a great business practice...spend thousands of dollars and ignore contractual obligations just to sit on a title. Like I said...not Shout!'s fault.

That Universal transfer of Halloween II isn't perfect either. See opening credits. Regarding the Halloween sequels and They Live (I imagine you'll go there next)..any tampering is negligable. I have no problem with any of those releases...Halloween III is GORGEOUS.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-23-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #25
skinnypuppy
Stalker

Hey guys, stop arguing over the better company and start arguing over which movie I should buy. Only a few more hours until I go shopping

Ticks is still winning. Fattyjoe37 gave me some good info, but I'm still looking for feedback.
skinnypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #26
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

It depends on your era of preference. Ticks is very 90's, so if you're a big 90's fan you'll probably love it.
I thought it was ok but wasn't a big fan of its goofiness. The Nest is more serious.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
X-human
I ate my keys

I haven't seen Ticks but I rather liked The Nest. So while I've wanted to get Ticks the outpouring of support for Ticks surprises me. I really want to see Ticks now.

The Nest takes a lot of its cues from The Thing and The Fly. That's not to say it compares favorably to them, just that some scenes do a good job recreating that vibe. Since I'm a big fan of both Thing/Fly the Nest is kinda like bonus material to them.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #28
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I'm in THE NEST camp, but both are favorites and I'm super happy to have 'em in hi-def!

(And I agree a MOSQUITO blu would be great. I'd love to have a proper SKEETER special edition, too. We were going to put one together for New Line / Image, but the schedule got bumped forward several months and all plans were dropped. I had already talked with Tracy Griffith, who's now a sushi chef, and she was really excited to do it. Oh well.)
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
Chomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
It depends on your era of preference. Ticks is very 90's, so if you're a big 90's fan you'll probably love it.
I thought it was ok but wasn't a big fan of its goofiness. The Nest is more serious.
This. I watched The Nest BD last night. The first half of the film is definitely drab but it certainly picks up towards the middle with some great effects. However, the Queen Cockroach didn't look as good as I had remembered it...that whole ending seemed a lot more colorful too. I guess that's primarily due to watching it so many years on VHS...its jump onto HD was pretty jarring for someone not used to the film looking that way. Lisa langlois is totally cute in the flick too. And Ticks may have Carlton, but The Nest has Homer!

Ticks has its moments though...Ami Dolenz is great eye candy and the ending transformation is totally awesome. But there are also some bad looking CG blood squibs. Like ZD said....it all comes down to which era you prefer.

And we were not fighting...I was obviously informing the uninformed.

Last edited by Chomp; 02-23-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

I haven't seen Ticks but do like the Nest quite a bit. I can't not recommend the Nest, but I also can't say it's better or worse than Ticks either until I try it myself.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote