Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 AM   #61
fceurich39
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hots4 View Post
still says unrated cut coming on digital download April 30?
well now it is back 2 unrated in capital letters now someone needs to find out about this crap
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #62
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceurich39 View Post
well now it is back 2 unrated in capital letters now someone needs to find out about this crap
Well at least we know it exists for real now. If they take it down again it just means they're being slack about getting it out. Still, why did they pull it down and delete all the comments in the first place.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #63
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
I'm pretty much satisfied of what we're getting now (I haven't seen the film in theaters). If it's any concellation, this will probably be like Rambo when the Theatrical Version was released on Blu-ray first then along came an Extended Cut on Blu-ray sometime later.
That sounds logical. After all, next year (2014) is the 40th anniversary of the 1974 original. Most have been assuming Warner Bros./New Line will release a 40th anniversary Blu-ray/DVD of the 1974 film at that time. Maybe Lionsgate is holding off on the Unrated BD/DVD of Texas Chainsaw 3D until then too?
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #64
Steel76
Maniac

Well, until an unrated version shows up on disc, Ill just download an torrent of the unrated cut. If Im buying something, it has to be a physical copy, not a digital file, and Im not paying for a censored version. This is a slap in the face for the fans.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #65
It's me, Billy
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Well, until an unrated version shows up on disc, Ill just download an torrent of the unrated cut. If Im buying something, it has to be a physical copy, not a digital file, and Im not paying for a censored version. This is a slap in the face for the fans.
Agreed.
It's me, Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #66
hots4
Stalker

AHMEN steel76 somebody taking sense for a change!!!
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #67
killit
Maniac

I actually went the iTunes/appletv route last year and got rid of my discs because moving all the time it was expensive hauling everything. I kind alike that I just take a little apple TV everywhere I go. I'm apparently the only one on here that was going to buy it on itunes anyway, so this was a big bonus for me. I really want digital downloads to get better and the extras to be carried over. I don't want discs to go away but this is nice for me lol
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #68
fceurich39
HackMaster

yep here it is https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/te...ed/id633790508
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #69
deepred
Maniac

Maybe this is them trying to push consumers away from disc to digital so they won't have ANY manufacturing costs. Don't they usually put exclusive things on whatever they want the customer to get. For instance, a lot of exclusive things were put on blu-rays so people would buy the blu-ray instead of dvd, etc. I hope other companies don't try to pull this tactic.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #70
hots4
Stalker

exactly that's why we have to make a fuss, yes i'm sure some people like the digital downloads, but a lot don't, I hate them, I will not go that route, I would torrent first, i like blu ray, i like a physical copy, i like you can do what you want with it, give the people the choice, not restrict them, if we make a fuss now then they will think twice before doing it again.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #71
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

There's nothing wrong with digital downloads AS A BACKUP.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #72
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
exactly that's why we have to make a fuss, yes i'm sure some people like the digital downloads, but a lot don't, I hate them, I will not go that route, I would torrent first, i like blu ray, i like a physical copy, i like you can do what you want with it, give the people the choice, not restrict them, if we make a fuss now then they will think twice before doing it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Boy you guys are really gonna show them aren't you? A multi-million dollar company like Lionsgate is really going to feel the hurt of the wrath of maybe 1,000 or so people that refuse to buy or rent something via digital download. Yessiry-Bob, you guys are gonna put the hurtin' on them...

Okay - seriously, time to get off the soap box. LG doesn't give a flying f**k if the fans are pissed off because the unrated cut is being exclusively offered as a digital download and not on a physical disc, they REALLY don't. Even if fans make a fuss, do you honestly think they're going to press discs because of that??? Studios are trying to get away from physical media because that's the way the future is going. Every mainstream film you buy now comes with a digital copy, there's more than one reason for that.

To think you're entitled to what you believe is right is ludicrous. We're talking about major studios who are maybe releasing 10 horror films per year that 95% end up direct to DVD and not in theaters. You really think they give a shit about the community that's purchasing these films or the overall bottom line that's ultimately going to make them more money and appeal to mass audiences? Seriously, think about it.

Lionsgate has been around for more than a decade, they have hundreds of people working for them and a large marketing department that helps make these decisions.

Now let's say you own a store, let's be creative here, you own a video store and for the past ten years when you've wanted to really push a title, you've put up a display in the front of the store right where customers walk in. This method has worked, tried and true, selling out every title you showcase in this display. Now some cinemaphile walks in one day and says to you, "You need to put that display in the back of the store, being in the front doesn't work for me." What do you think your answer to that customer is going to be? For something that YOU know works, has worked, and continues to work just as it is.

It's the same principle. They know what mainstream audiences are going towards, they know physical media in 20 years will be a memory and everyone wants to be the first at the finish line. You can bark and growl all you want, download the movie illegally, go for it - you're not hurting them in the long run. You can get as many supporters as you want in your corner too, but unless you get every single horror fan in the good ol' US of A to back you up - you might as well try and appeal it to congress as well because that's exactly how far you get if you did.

I don't understand the mentality of a horror fan that thinks a studio owes them some kind of favor, they really don't. Their revenue isn't solely horror films, they release dozens of movies a year and a fraction of them are horror. They don't depend on us like smaller companies such as Synapse or Blue Underground so they could give a flying rat's ass if we're unhappy.

Buy the unrated cut, don't buy it, it's up to you - but stop acting like everyone here is going to cause some revolution that's going to cause multi-million dollar studios to re-evaluate their business ethics and practices. They way of the future is digital format, that's where everything's going and eventually that's all that there's going to be. Regular Joe Schmoe's could give a shit less, they just go with the flow and they outnumber us quite considerably. Just get over it and do what you need to do.

Incidentally, anyone notice the running time on Apple saying the unrated cut is 92 minutes? According to Blu-Ray.com the rated cut is 95 - I wonder why there's 3 minutes missing from the unrated version? Hrm. Interesting.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #73
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

I agree with Chrismac.
I want to buy the blu-ray because I enjoyed the film I saw in theaters, I don't know what the extended cut would be like because I have not seen it. Furthermore, I've seen plenty of extended cuts that added little to nothing to the actual film, so why should I care.
The talk of it being censored is pretty bullshit as well, I mean they are not cutting anything from the widely released version right? It's kind of like that guy on amazon bitching that the Phantasm II blu-ray is the cut version...well, that's the only one ever released so why did he assume it would be different.
I'll be more than happy to buy the theatrical version, if I'm not satisfied with this at least the option is there for the digital copy unrated.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 04-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #74
hots4
Stalker

I thought this was a forum for people to air their views chrismac87, shall we all just shut the fuck up then and not say anything, maybe we should just have news items then and leave it at that, was it not for the words of many people on this site that got lionsgate to release my bloody valentine with the uncut footage put back in the movie?

Maybe downloads are big in the US, but this is not the case worldwide, sure we have them here in the UK but the majority of sales are physical media, Germany for example have a very healthy physical media scene.

and anthropophagus, you note 'the talk of it being censored is pretty bullshit as well, they are not cutting anything from the widely released version right?' the move had to be censored by the lovely MPAA to get an R rating, so it certainly was cut, to what level we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by hots4; 04-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #75
chrismac87
Zombie Eater

Quote:
I thought this was a forum for people to air their views chrismac87, shall we all just shut the fuck up then and not say anything, maybe we should just have news items then and leave it at that, was it not for the words of many people on this site that got lionsgate to release my bloody valentine with the uncut footage put back in the movie?
Actually no it wasn't, it was the demand of it for over 20 years. There was so much controversy surrounding the cuts made in the film, they knew if they had the chance to release it uncut - it'd be idiotic for them not to, and not just because of the horror fans. It also may have something to do with them releasing a remake into theaters around the same time as well - just a thought. If they really cared what the fans had to say on that one - they would have put more features in relation to the film and not just two documentaries about the slasher genre in general and the remake coming out later that year.

And of course people can express their views, it's a public forum - you're more than entitled. But it seems to me that you're handing out false hope and accusations against a company that for the most part has been very kind to the genre and is one of the few studios that hasn't turned its back on it.