Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #151
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

I just got mine in the mail today. Can't wait to check it out again. It's been YEARS since I've seen it. I'll stick with the version I know for now, not sure when I'll be physically and mentally prepared for the aural and ocular assault of the director's cut.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 08-06-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Mikey Horror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #152
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I tried watching the DC with the commentary on and couldn't finish it. The video transitions got incredibly annoying very fast.

I'll stick with the regular cut.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #153
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how in hell I sat through this for 3 hours. I love this movie but hot diggity I doubt I will ever re-watch the directors cut.
Well I've watched the theatrical cut and thought it was a lot better than people were making out. The effects are pretty good and the characters are somewhat interesting. It has a charm that grows on you as it progresses. I'll probs check out the DC on the weekend.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #154
Dobby
HackMaster

The commentary track was much better on the code red disc. I found the new commentary track to be a total borefest. Everyone sounds bored and tired with absolutely no energy. Even the interview was better and had some good info. The new interview seemed like an infomercial for Boarding House 2. Honestly no matter how hard they would try it would flat out suck. Sorry it's not 1980 anymore and people are no longer the same. The way of life and pop culture of today is retarded. Boarding House 2 would be a bunch of bimbo's texting each other.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #155
Dobby
HackMaster

Nothing is organic anymore please don't make Boarding House 2.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #156
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Rock!Shock!Pop! takes on CEMETERY SISTERS:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...metery-Sisters

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #157
Steel76
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Well I've watched the theatrical cut and thought it was a lot better than people were making out. The effects are pretty good and the characters are somewhat interesting. It has a charm that grows on you as it progresses.
Yeah, I saw the movie for the very first time, a few days ago, and I was expecting something as bad as "Sledgehammer", but this actually almost felt like a REAL movie. Sure, itīs a mess, but still fun, compared to most SOV movies. Though I wish I could punch the director in the face for adding those horrible video FX that pop up from time to time
Old 08-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #158
RickMoe
Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
The commentary track was much better on the code red disc. I found the new commentary track to be a total borefest. Everyone sounds bored and tired with absolutely no energy.
I haven't heard the new commentary yet, but I have to agree the CODE RED DVD is better in some respects.

The biggest being that there's way too much compression on the SLASHER // VIDEO disc. Blocky artifacts throughout both the original cut & the director's version. I immediately compared it to the Code Red release and indeed - no artifacts with Code Red. There's a ton more extras on the Slasher // Video release and it's definitely worth getting for that reason alone... but the Code Red DVD is superior in video presentation (even though it's slightly darker). I frankly think the interview on the Code Red disc is more informative too. Sure the Code Red interview is shot amateurishly, but the sound quality on Slasher // Video's interview is terrible - just the camera mic from 8 feet away.

Definitely buy Slasher // Video, BUT HANG ON TO THOSE CODE REDS!

I gotta say though, Slasher // Video is a Godsend. Their releases have blown my mind every time - and there's no compression issues on CEMETERY SISTERS or either DEATH NURSE disc. Just feels like they should have went 2 discs on BOARDINGHOUSE rather than compress everything to 1 dual layer.

Last edited by RickMoe; 08-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
RickMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #159
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post
The biggest being that there's way too much compression on the SLASHER // VIDEO disc. Blocky artifacts throughout both the original cut & the director's version. I immediately compared it to the Code Red release and indeed - no artifacts with Code Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMoe View Post
Just feels like they should have went 2 discs on BOARDINGHOUSE rather than compress everything to 1 dual layer.
Yeah, I noticed the compression artifacts too...it was quite apparent at times. They just shoved way too much material onto a single dual-layer disc, and it really should've been a 2 disc release to minimize that. Other than that criticism though, it's a solid release overall.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #160
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Meh...I am sticking with the Slasher Video disc...the compression artifacts are minimal. The Code Red disc is just too damn dark...looks nothing like the Paragon VHS...plus you can see tracking lines on the bottom of the transfer.

But I do think the SV release should have been a two-discer.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #161
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Yeah, I saw the movie for the very first time, a few days ago, and I was expecting something as bad as "Sledgehammer", but this actually almost felt like a REAL movie. Sure, itīs a mess, but still fun, compared to most SOV movies. Though I wish I could punch the director in the face for adding those horrible video FX that pop up from time to time
Sledgehammer's bad? I've heard people here say it's one of the better SOV films. I've wanted to check that one out soon as well.

Boardinghouse could definitely flow better. I haven't watched the DC yet so I don't know if that makes much improvement. Guess I'll have to see.

Those video effects were all the range back then It's probably one of the main things that makes the film feel cheap, like one of those daytime infomercial programs on bullying from the 80's.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #162
Steel76
Maniac

If you think "Boardinghouse" is slow/messy, then you will wanna blow your brains out when watching "Sledgehammer". Boarding is like a Hitchcock movie in comparison
Especially since they padded out the runtime in "Sledgehammer" by having the slowest slowmotion shots in the history of movies. And often for no reason at all. The cast is also one of the worst ever put on film, even for a SOV film.
I had to fast forward to survive the damn movie.
"Boardinghouse" really is a masterpiece in comparision.

"Video Violence 1 & 2" and those Olaf Ittenbach films like "Black Moon" are also much more enjoyable.

But, still, "Sledgehammer" is just one of those crazy movies you just HAVE to see once. So give it a try, you might like it better than I did. Just be ready to FF at times

Last edited by Steel76; 08-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Steel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #163
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
If you think "Boardinghouse" is slow/messy, then you will wanna blow your brains out when watching "Sledgehammer". Boarding is like a Hitchcock movie in comparison
Especially since they padded out the runtime in "Sledgehammer" by having the slowest slowmotion shots in the history of movies. And often for no reason at all. The cast is also one of the worst ever put on film, even for a SOV film.
I had to fast forward to survive the damn movie.
"Boardinghouse" really is a masterpiece in comparision.

"Video Violence 1 & 2" and those Olaf Ittenbach films like "Black Moon" are also much more enjoyable.

But, still, "Sledgehammer" is just one of those crazy movies you just HAVE to see once. So give it a try, you might like it better than I did. Just be ready to FF at times
That's interesting to hear. I'll be cautious when I watch it then

Haven't heard of Black Moon but I plan on watching Video Violence 1 & 2 at some stage.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #164
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I think he means Burning Moon...also released on DVD by Intervision.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #165
Steel76
Maniac

Yeah, I mixed up the title with Olaf's other movie "Black Past"