Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Exclamation Death Wish 40th Anniversary Edition!!!!

From DVD Newsflash on Facebook!:

"
DEATH WISH 40TH ANNIVERSARY (BD)

Death Wish 40th Anniversary debuts on Blu-ray 2/4/14!

In this explosive story of revenge and urban violence, Charles Bronson plays Paul Kersey, a bleeding-heart liberal who has a change of opinion after his wife and daughter are violently attacked by a gang of thugs in their apartment. His daughter is raped, and his wife is raped and murdered. Bronson then turns vigilante as he stalks the mean streets of New York on the prowl for muggers, hoodlums and the like. Death Wish is a violent, controversial film that is frank and original in its treatment of urban crime and the average citizen’s helplessness in dealing with it. Herbie Hancock wrote the musical score. And watch for a young Jeff Goldblum in his film debut as one of the thugs.

First time available on Blu-ray.

Classic 70’s film with poignant themes that ring true today.

Look for the screen debuts of:

Jeff Goldblum — Freak #1

Christopher Guest — Patrolman Jackson Percy

Denzel Washington — Unaccredited"

FYI, it will be released by Warner/Paramount.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
rhett

If it is anything like the Warner/Paramount FRIDAY THE 13TH box set you just know it's going to be treated with care and outfitted with an uncut print and a number of topical new extras.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE “I”

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett View Post
If it is anything like the Warner/Paramount FRIDAY THE 13TH box set you just know it's going to be treated with care and outfitted with an uncut print and a number of topical new extras.
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

Quote:
Yeah... unless Paramount hands Warner some extras that they produced, we'll probably be lucky to see the original Trailer included.

But, it's good that it's finally coming out in HD!

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

like their Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition BD that contained...2 episodes of the cartoon.

if this ends up being a barebones release, i'll be very disappointed. even more so than i was over the upcoming High Plains Drifter release. i've held out on buying this for years. it would be great if they put even a little bit of effort into this release.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Erick H.
HackMaster

The DEATH WISH series has never been treated very well on disc in the States.I think a widescreen box set (DVD) came out several years ago in Australia or New Zealand as THE VIGILANTE COLLECTION or something like that.I'd certainly be interested in a nice Blu Ray of the original ,hope they do a nice job with it.

Last edited by Erick H.; 10-25-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
like their Beetlejuice: 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition BD that contained...2 episodes of the cartoon.
That release still manages to chap my hide.

I am not very confident in what they will do with DW. Hopeful, but not confident.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Make sure you buy it at WBShop too.

Their online security measures are like Fort Knox. Safest site around.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
ronnie21
HackMaster

Death Wish was very cutting edge for its time in 1974. A violent home invasion sexual assault scene that left many breathless. Today the film seems tame in comparison to such films as SAW and I spit on your grave remakes. But it really made an impact at the time it came out cause I think citizens were tired of inner city crime rates.. My parents saw it in the theater when it came out, and they said at the very end of the movie the audience stood up and clapped, something you don't in theaters these day's......
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #10
Nailwraps
HackMaster

DVDBeaver review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...sh_blu-ray.htm
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

So they're calling this the 40th anniversary edition and the only extras are a trailer?! Pffft.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #12
ronnie21
HackMaster

I must admit the transfer looks excellent.. Yeah wish they would have used original art too. but with the transfer looking as good as it does oh well. Such a disturbing and violent attack scene in the beginning and very cutting edge for 1974 ... today this would get laughed at as being rated G materiel, such insensitive people in the world today..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #13
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Horror View Post
So they're calling this the 40th anniversary edition and the only extras are a trailer?! Pffft.
it doesn't actually say that anywhere on the cover though, does it? in any case, it's a disappointment. but i'll probably get it, just like I did High Plains Drifter. at least we can expect it to be pretty cheap.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:40 AM   #14
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
it doesn't actually say that anywhere on the cover though, does it? in any case, it's a disappointment. but i'll probably get it, just like I did High Plains Drifter. at least we can expect it to be pretty cheap.
No, you're right, it's not advertised on the actual disc that's it's a 40th anniversary edition. I just figured it was since that's what it's being referred to everywhere I read about it so I guess I was expecting a feature packed edition. I'll buy it regardless as the screen caps look amazing, I was just hoping for a little more in the bonus features department than just a damn trailer.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #15
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Nobody thought to sit Charles Bronson down for a commentary when he was alive, which is a shame, but they could've at least gathered some archival interviews and cobbled together a "virtual" commentary, sort of like what Warner did with The Getaway. Such an iconic film finally getting a release and there's nothing on the disc commemorating it. Lame
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote