Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Comparison of the Anchor Bay and Millenium releases of Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum....lassics-US-Blu
I'm a little on the fence about this transfer, I like the more muted colors but the blueish, greenish tint in the second screenshot is a little overwhelming.
Reminds me of Margaret Hamilton in the Wizard Of Oz.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
How did you like Frankenstein Created Woman?
How does it compare to Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed?
I like FCW, but it's nowhere near as nasty as FMBD, easily the best of the Hammer Frankenstein series. Peter Cushing is just plain evil in that one. Not just a misguided doctor who has the best intentions of creating life, he's just a right bastard who, well, must be destroyed.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I like FCW, but it's nowhere near as nasty as FMBD, easily the best of the Hammer Frankenstein series. Peter Cushing is just plain evil in that one. Not just a misguided doctor who has the best intentions of creating life, he's just a right bastard who, well, must be destroyed.
Yes, I know. The infamous scene with Veronica Carlson ranks as one of the studio's most disturbing.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

So did anyone pick this up?
Find it in stores?
Have any feedback?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
MisterTwister
HackMaster

According to an Amazon review:

"LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES - By far, the worst of the 3 transfers in the set. Immediately upon viewing it is obvious the film speed is off, which results in unnaturally fast motion. The runtime here is only 85 min. instead of the 89 min. length on the Anchor Bay DVD. The increased film speed acccounts for the difference and it doesn't appear as if anything is cut. However this one is in Anamorphic Widescreen and the AB release is letterboxed, which isn't' very friendly with most widescreen TVs. Surprisingly this soundtrack is much clearer and more robust than AB's which is muffled lo-fi by comparison. Also, Millenium's color palette seems more natural than the Anchor Bay transfer. Unfortunately none of these improvements overcome the terribly distracting off-kilter film speed that renders the movie almost unwatchable. Anchor Bay wins hands down on this one, and their DVD includes the American cut of the film as well (The Seven Brothers Meet Dracula). I hope they straighten out the speed issue for any further release of this interesting east-meets-west flick"

I can confirm this, although I didn't find it unwatchable.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
Katatonia
The Dark and the Light

It sounds like they just took a PAL transfer and converted it to NTSC, which would explain the speedup.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
According to an Amazon review:

"LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES - By far, the worst of the 3 transfers in the set. Immediately upon viewing it is obvious the film speed is off, which results in unnaturally fast motion. The runtime here is only 85 min. instead of the 89 min. length on the Anchor Bay DVD. The increased film speed acccounts for the difference and it doesn't appear as if anything is cut. However this one is in Anamorphic Widescreen and the AB release is letterboxed, which isn't' very friendly with most widescreen TVs. Surprisingly this soundtrack is much clearer and more robust than AB's which is muffled lo-fi by comparison. Also, Millenium's color palette seems more natural than the Anchor Bay transfer. Unfortunately none of these improvements overcome the terribly distracting off-kilter film speed that renders the movie almost unwatchable. Anchor Bay wins hands down on this one, and their DVD includes the American cut of the film as well (The Seven Brothers Meet Dracula). I hope they straighten out the speed issue for any further release of this interesting east-meets-west flick"

I can confirm this, although I didn't find it unwatchable.
Thanks for the info.
Very disappointed in this, though I must admit I want the other two titles much more. How are those transfers? Pretty solid?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Very disappointed in this, though I must admit I want the other two titles much more. How are those transfers? Pretty solid?
Pretty good and don't have the same issues as 7 Golden Vampires.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Nailwraps
HackMaster

So, I'm guessing Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires is a PAL-NTSC transfer. Would make sense since the R1 Millenium transfer is identical to the UK Warner (I just didn't think it was PAL sourced).
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #25
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Having now seen this collection, I can say it was definitely worth it for Dracula, Prince Of Darkness and Frankenstein Created Woman.

Dracula, Prince Of Darkness: Great follow-up to Horror Of Dracula though I found the pace quite slower. I also sorely missed the presence of Peter Cushing, the priestly vampire hunter just did not possess the same charisma. I also found the character of Ludwig to be a little odd, obviously based on the Renfield character but with little to no back-story. He seemed to just pop out of nowhere and was given very little to do. The transfer I found to be good not great, but very enjoyable for the most part. 4/5.

Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires-Don’t know what happened here, I’m usually a huge fan of all things Hammer including oft derided films like The Evil Of Frankenstein, The Satanic Rites Of Dracula and Lust For A Vampire, but this one left me cold. Everything seemed off on this and only Cushing’s presence redeemed it for me, one of the worst portrayals of Dracula and it just never gelled. The sped up nature of the movements is ridiculously apparent in some scenes almost not at all in others, but it was distracting and lent an almost comical effect to an already weak film. 1/5.

Frankenstein Created Woman-I really like the story arc here and where they took the characters, for me it’s on par with Frankenstein Must be Destroyed!. Without giving too much away, I liked how the three hooligans were haunted by their actions in a very Edgar Allan Poe type fashion. It’s a basic revenge tale but executed with lots of flair and originality. Cushing is great in this as well and Susan Denberg is definitely worthy of the ‘Hammer Glamour’ moniker. I always preferred the Hammer Dracula series over the Frankenstein, but revisiting ‘Must be Destroyed!’ and discovering ‘Created Woman’ has swayed me quite a bit. Like Dracula, Prince Of Darkness, it’s a very acceptable transfer but far from stunning. 4.5/5.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #26
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

They need to get crackin' and release the seven Dracula movies from Hammer Films on blu-ray!
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #27
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Quote:
Having now seen this collection, I can say it was definitely worth it for Dracula, Prince Of Darkness and Frankenstein Created Woman.

Dracula, Prince Of Darkness: Great follow-up to Horror Of Dracula though I found the pace quite slower. I also sorely missed the presence of Peter Cushing, the priestly vampire hunter just did not possess the same charisma. I also found the character of Ludwig to be a little odd, obviously based on the Renfield character but with little to no back-story. He seemed to just pop out of nowhere and was given very little to do. The transfer I found to be good not great, but very enjoyable for the most part. 4/5.

Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires-Don’t know what happened here, I’m usually a huge fan of all things Hammer including oft derided films like The Evil Of Frankenstein, The Satanic Rites Of Dracula and Lust For A Vampire, but this one left me cold. Everything seemed off on this and only Cushing’s presence redeemed it for me, one of the worst portrayals of Dracula and it just never gelled. The sped up nature of the movements is ridiculously apparent in some scenes almost not at all in others, but it was distracting and lent an almost comical effect to an already weak film. 1/5.

Frankenstein Created Woman-I really like the story arc here and where they took the characters, for me it’s on par with Frankenstein Must be Destroyed!. Without giving too much away, I liked how the three hooligans were haunted by their actions in a very Edgar Allan Poe type fashion. It’s a basic revenge tale but executed with lots of flair and originality. Cushing is great in this as well and Susan Denberg is definitely worthy of the ‘Hammer Glamour’ moniker. I always preferred the Hammer Dracula series over the Frankenstein, but revisiting ‘Must be Destroyed!’ and discovering ‘Created Woman’ has swayed me quite a bit. Like Dracula, Prince Of Darkness, it’s a very acceptable transfer but far from stunning. 4.5/5.
Dracula's death in Dracula Prince of Darkness was pretty crappy! He just falls into water. Pretty stupid.
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #28
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Thorough review of the Hammer triple-bill at DVD Drive-In:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e...rror667467.htm

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Exclamation

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for!!!!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221549

http://www.dvdempire.com/1657946/dra...n-blu-ray.html
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #30
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS blu now up for order on Amazon, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=cinema09-20

Kind of a dick move that they didn't release it at the same time, but whatevs.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hammer blu-ray