Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 05-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
killit
HackMaster

Any must have have Italian discs?

I have to place a heavy amazon.it order fro my turntable, pretty cheap to through on some br's, Though aside from the botched suspiria O can't think of any Italian blus that I need to get.
killit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
russweiss
HackMaster

I was looking at getting the Ilsa Harem Keeper blu but when the shipping was factored in it wasn't worth it.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
f.ramses
Maniac

The Cinekult release of Dellamorte Dellamore is decent iirc + it's ~$11 before shipping. Not sure how "must have" I consider this movie, but if you like it...
Old 05-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

Cemetery Man and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid are the only ones from Italy that I have in my collection. I have the uncut version of Malena as well, though that is only available from South Korea for some strange reason.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I have the uncut version of Malena as well, though that is only available from South Korea for some strange reason.
I have that Blu-ray too. What a beautiful presentation on the release. Did you get the limited version or just the plain Blu.

The limited version has like a digi-book foldout with both the Blu and a DVD copy. Plus it even has an additional regular Blu "case". So instead if you want to store the Blu in that single snap case, I guess.

Here's an unboxing of the Blu on youtube. (some guy, not me. Funny the guy says he never seen the movie & it was a blind buy. He's in for a treat!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYhYS_CD2o

Last edited by baggio; 06-04-2015 at 06:03 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
I have that Blu-ray too. What a beautiful presentation on the release. Did you get the limited version or just the plain Blu.

The limited version has like a digi-book foldout with both the Blu and a DVD copy. Plus it even has an additional regular Blu "case". So instead if you want to store the Blu in that single snap case, I guess.

Here's an unboxing of the Blu on youtube. (some guy, not me. Funny the guy says he never seen the movie & it was a blind buy. He's in for a treat!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYhYS_CD2o
I have the regular version. I was very pleased as well. Ms. Bellucci was spectacular in her prime.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I have the uncut version of Malena as well, though that is only available from South Korea for some strange reason.
Are you pleased with the KR BD? It doesn't look so good on caps-a-holic but at least its uncut. I'm torn on which BD to buy.
crikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikan View Post
Are you pleased with the KR BD? It doesn't look so good on caps-a-holic but at least its uncut. I'm torn on which BD to buy.
The UK Blu looks much darker than the KR. As if the lights are dimmed, with a hint of blue tint. And the detail is better, or should I say you can see more in the KR imo. It's as if they are using 2 different light filters. The KR version feels more like an old Italian film imho. More "earthier" tones, like a spaghetti western.

Last edited by baggio; 06-04-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #9
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
The UK Blu looks much darker than the KR. As if the lights are dimmed, with a hint of blue tint. And the detail is better, or should I say you can see more in the KR imo. It's as if they are using 2 different light filters. The KR version feels more like an old Italian film imho. More "earthier" tones, like a spaghetti western.
Appreciate it. Got it ordered.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #10
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Appreciate it. Got it ordered.
Now the Blu is being reviewed against dvds, but there are some more shots of the quality. The reviewer here seemed kinda on the fence about the brighter lighting.

Like the shots of the boys with the beach water in the background. On the Blu the middle of the screen gets hit with the sun, but the actors on the screen detail is great. You can see how the other dvds there is some sort of filter to block out the suns reflection. But the guys all look much darker.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/malena.htm

Bottom line it's really what you appeals more to ones taste. Its not the KR quality is inferior, imo its just a "brighter" picture. Plus of course it's uncut.

Last edited by baggio; 06-04-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #11
buck135
The Duke of New York

All in all, I was very impressed with the quality.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
crikan
HackMaster

Quote:
Bottom line it's really what you appeals more to ones taste. Its not the KR quality is inferior, imo its just a "brighter" picture. Plus of course it's uncut.
My concern was that in some the screenshots a lot of detail is lost due to the brightness. Check out the book in the pile of rubble. If you think it looks good in motion that's all the matters. I'm not buying it to make screenshots and I'd rather have it uncut.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
My concern was that in some the screenshots a lot of detail is lost due to the brightness. Check out the book in the pile of rubble. If you think it looks good in motion that's all the matters. I'm not buying it to make screenshots and I'd rather have it uncut.
Yeah, I see what your saying there. The book's print is washed out. Not like you can read the print on the UK version, but you can definitely see that there is print there.

Let's put it this way. The light can't hurt in those much darker ... cough , uncut scenes.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
crikan
HackMaster

Thank you baggio. The South Korean Malena BD looks magnificent in motion. Even though it was my first viewing of MALENA it's obvious that the BD is colored the way the film was intended. The more natural colors of the UK BD would have taken a bit away from the film. There is nothing to be gained from seeing a bit more detail in the outdoor scenes. Those that are dismissing the South Korean BD because of the colors and slight loss of detail are getting caught up in things that don't matter. The South Korean BD is the way to see this film and is a breathtaking presentation.

The film is one the funnest I've seen in a long time. It's instantly an all-time favorite and I can see revisiting it often.