Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

Arrow Releasing Demons & Demons 2 On Blu!

Regardless of the slack Arrow gets from some of their blu-ray releases, I own five of them and I am pleased with them all. The transfers on what I own are a definite upgrade from DVD, and their packaging and extras are icing on the cake. I'm quite pumped that Arrow will be releasing Demons and Demons 2 on blu-ray this April 9th, 2012. Region ABC!

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?tle_id=598

http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?tle_id=601

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler

Last edited by SaviniFan; 01-27-2012 at 05:26 PM.
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
BlackAndBlu81
Stalker

Im stoked as well. Just too bad they wouldnt pay Bobby Rhodes for his participation in the special features.

Last edited by BlackAndBlu81; 01-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.
BlackAndBlu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Awesome!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
x666x
HackMaster

Very happy about this. Bobby Rhodes IS Demons. Heart and soul. He should have been a focal point in the extras. But hey, Demons 1 and 2 on Blu! Very exciting.
x666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Hell. Yes!!! This and the Universal Monsters blu-ray set are easily my most anticipated of the year.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Katatonia
Master of Doom

These were also mentioned in this thread back in October. I've had them on pre-order for several months now.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I have these on pre-order as well, but I am really weary about getting these given Arrow's sub-par euro-transfers.

Are any of Arrow's Argento titles worth picking up?...or should one just wait for the North American releases?...specifically for Phenomena or Tenebre?

Last edited by Chomp; 02-11-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Dear Lord, anybody waiting for Anchor Bay to release Demons on Bluray will have a really loooong wait (if they even still have the rights, that is). Same thing with the Argento's. BU put out a couple of them but they don't have the rights all of Argento's films. Arrow's Blu's will hold me over until something better comes along (if ever).
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Chomp

I can also be content with my DVD's being upscaled if that's going to be the better option picture quality wise. I don't need to have the blu rays if the upgrade isn't worth it in the transfer department.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
I have these on pre-order as well, but I am really weary about getting these given Arrow's sub-par euro-transfers.

Are any of Arrow's Argento titles worth picking up?...or should one just wait for the North American releases?...specifically for Phenomena or Tenebre?
I can advise you to pick Phenomena... while little DNR was put into the picture, it is never intrusive and the whole picture is gourgeous.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe.../phenomena.htm

About Cat O´Nine Tales, the picture is almost on the same level as BU, but with better extras.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...nine_tales.htm

While on the UK market, I advise you to pick Shameless release of Four Flies. While this is the only edition so far, it is very good looking.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/dvdre...rey_velvet.htm

Just avoid Tenebrae (French release is always the best option) and Bird with the Crystal Plumage, BU while out-of-print is the best option (I know you already bought one from a seller).

Tenebrae (Arrow UK)

Tenebrae (Wild Side France)

Tenebrae (Arrow UK)

Tenebrae (Wild Side France)

Last edited by Demoni; 02-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Chomp

Cool, thanks. I was definitely considering Phenomena as I've read mainly semi-positive reviews. I'll definitely hold off on Tenebre and I have just recently purchased Four Flies along with BU's BWTCP. That's why I am kinda on an Argento kick right now.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Cool, thanks. I was definitely considering Phenomena as I've read mainly semi-positive reviews. I'll definitely hold off on Tenebre and I have just recently purchased Four Flies along with BU's BWTCP. That's why I am kinda on an Argento kick right now.
Then pick up the french Tenebrae blu-ray... it´s the best Argento HD so far in the picture department.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
sinister
Stalker

The brightness level in some scenes on the Arrow Phenomena Blu-ray is all wrong... some night scenes actually look almost like day, it's really that bad. The contrast problems on Suspiria were bad in a few spots, but Phenomena is worse overall as it affects more scenes.

I was gonna order the French Tenebrae (the Arrow release is terrible, easily the worst Blu-ray transfer I've ever seen) but I read that the French subs can't be disabled if you select the English soundtrack?

I'll be replacing all 3 of those Argento BD's as soon as better versions are available.

The Arrow Inferno is fine, even though some of the screenshots I've seen of newer versions look slightly better, I'm happy with the Arrow version and don't plan to upgrade that one.

Last edited by sinister; 02-11-2012 at 10:10 PM.
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister View Post
The brightness level in some scenes on the Arrow Phenomena Blu-ray is all wrong... some night scenes actually look almost like day, it's really that bad. The contrast problems on Suspiria were bad in a few spots, but Phenomena is worse overall as it affects more scenes.

I was gonna order the French Tenebrae (the Arrow release is terrible, easily the worst Blu-ray transfer I've ever seen) but I read that the French subs can't be disabled if you select the English soundtrack?

I'll be replacing all 3 of those Argento BD's as soon as better versions are available.

The Arrow Inferno is fine, even though some of the screenshots I've seen of newer versions look slightly better, I'm happy with the Arrow version and don't plan to upgrade that one.
Like I said earlier, while Phenomena´s not a perfect print I didn´t think it was a bad transfer... not excellent but good. I think you are too negative on Phenomena´s transfer and to me It never looked the way you´re painting it... that´s my opinion, but I respect yours.

Yes, subs on the french release of Tenebrae are forced on the English and Italian track but they can be easily disabled on a computer and on certain players... my PC and my Denon can disable them, while my PS3 can´t.

While I have the Arrow version of Inferno, and considered it a good transfer overall, I think Phenomena´s transfer is way better by comparison... Again I must stress that this is only my opinion, and I respect others.

On Arrow´s Inferno, I think the BU is way better, and color palette is also way different. I own both Blu-Rays of Inferno, and while I prefer the sharpness and contrast of the BU version, I don´t favour any print in terms of color... it´s a matter of taste. I already pre-ordered Camero Obscura´s Inferno release, and from the images I´ve seen, it has more image information in all four sides (like the italian DVD) and the color seems to be on par with the BU version, but I only saw 3 screen so I can´t comment on that edition yet.... what can I say, I´m a sucker for Inferno... 3 DVDs and 3 blu-rays...