Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #61
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollman View Post
The terrible truth:


Shout Factory's edition of "The Howling" is an audio/video disgrace.
Not only is it the same Universal/StudioCanal HD transfer with it's terrible contrast and green push- with zero contrast or color corrections by Shout Factory. As if that wasn't enough the "original mono track" is actually a 2.0 down mix of the 5.1 MGM mix. The Universal/StudioCanal disc actually had the original Mono mix as DTS HD Master Audio.

Once again Shout Factory proves itself to be the American version of Arrow Video, lazy and all about the package- not whats inside it.
"Disgrace".

Well, in that case you better wait until some other studio gets it. Maybe. Sometime next decade. If you're lucky.

It's one thing to be critical of a release (most catalog titles can be improved upon in some manner), but once you sound angry and hyperbolic it's hard to take you seriously. I heard similar things about HORROR EXPRESS, too, and about the only way you can see the flaws is when you practically rest your nose on the screen. You want bad? Try watching the original dvd release of EATING RAOUL sometime. Maybe then you'd stop overusing words like "disgrace" when it is hardly warranted.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #62
Sinister Ash
Stalker
 
Sinister Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 227
Based on the comparison shots, it looks like the blu ray picture is "squished" vertically. Definitely looks clear/sharp, but the distorted picture possibly caused by bad authoring is disappointing.
__________________
Groovy!
Sinister Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #63
dave13
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Ash View Post
Based on the comparison shots, it looks like the blu ray picture is "squished" vertically. Definitely looks clear/sharp, but the distorted picture possibly caused by bad authoring is disappointing.
really? I looked for it in those screenshots, but still didn't see it.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #64
Sinister Ash
Stalker
 
Sinister Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
really? I looked for it in those screenshots, but still didn't see it.
My mistake, I think you are right. I took a closer look and realize these shots are not taken from of the exact same frame, so it looked slightly different.


__________________
Groovy!
Sinister Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #65
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Loomis California
Posts: 189
Seen it today and I thought it had a horrible video transfer done to it. But the film,audio & extras were all great but that Video was really bad Scream Factory's worst.
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #66
Nailwraps
HackMaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,370
Again, the transfer was made by Studio Canal, not Scream.
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #67
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Loomis California
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Again, the transfer was made by Studio Canal, not Scream.
Why didn't Scream do it?
Why go to StudioCanal when they have a horrible record?
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #68
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisEvilBastard View Post
Why didn't Scream do it?
Why go to StudioCanal when they have a horrible record?
Because when you have a specific film that you want to release in mind, you have to deal with the people you have to deal with. It isn't as if Scream Factory can go shop around to Disney or whoever for a better copy of The Howling. They also wouldn't be releasing so many great movies so quickly if they had to do all of the remastering themselves. You think that the process is cheap? There was already a HD transfer of the movie out there and that's what they were given to use. It's disappointing, but it also should have been expected. In the end, having The Howling like this is better than not having The Howling at all. The only thing that would change my opinion is if it was completely unwatchable, which this isn't.

Last edited by maybrick; 06-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #69
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Loomis California
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Because when you have a specific film that you want to release in mind, you have to deal with the people you have to deal with. It isn't as if Scream Factory can go shop around to Disney or whoever for a better copy of The Howling. They also wouldn't be releasing so many great movies so quickly if they had to do all of the remastering themselves. You think that the process is cheap? There was already a HD transfer of the movie out there and that's what they were given to use. It's disappointing, but it also should have been expected. In the end, having The Howling like this is better than not having The Howling at all. The only thing that would change my opinion is if it was completely unwatchable, which this isn't.

Well Scream remastered Halloween II from the old Blu-ray.
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #70
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisEvilBastard View Post
Well Scream remastered Halloween II from the old Blu-ray.
One was Universal, the other was MGM. Different companies have different requirements and ways of doing things. If Scream Factory wants to license a movie then they have to take what they can get or forget about it.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #71
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Loomis California
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
One was Universal, the other was MGM. Different companies have different requirements and ways of doing things. If Scream Factory wants to license a movie then they have to take what they can get or forget about it.
Okay
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #72
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster
 
elDomenechHDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,013
I noticed a slight greenish tint to some scenes but I think it was a result of the lighting in some of the settings, the phone booth at the beginning, for instance, and inside the porn shop. The rest of the film looked a little too bright in spots but, overall it was a big leap up from the DVD (which never looked bad to begin with). I think this is as definitive as it will get.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #73
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester
 
evildeadfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,121
I was going to purchase the Blu-Ray, but I wonder if I should hold onto my DVD copy, and just purchase only Lifeforce out of the two that was released Tuesday from Scream Factory. Has anyone purchased Lifeforce yet, and had a chance to watch the Blu-Ray yet. I have several of the Blu-Rays from Scream Factory that have been released recently, and all of them have been excellent, and the extras have been great too. I'm going to purchase The Fog next month, and can't wait.
__________________
Why have you disturbed our sleep? Awaken us from our ancient slumber? You will die! Like the others before you. One by one we will take you.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #74
maybrick
HackMaster
 
maybrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Keene, NH
Posts: 9,559
As far as I can see the vast majority of reviews have been positive. There has only been a handful of nitpickers out there. Everybody other than those few have said that this blu ray is a step up from the MGM dvd. If you're as big of a fan of the movie as I am I don't know why you'd ever skip it. Who are these turkeys? They're nobody to me.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #75
ThisEvilBastard
Banned Mofo
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Loomis California
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
"Disgrace".

Well, in that case you better wait until some other studio gets it. Maybe. Sometime next decade. If you're lucky.

It's one thing to be critical of a release (most catalog titles can be improved upon in some manner), but once you sound angry and hyperbolic it's hard to take you seriously. I heard similar things about HORROR EXPRESS, too, and about the only way you can see the flaws is when you practically rest your nose on the screen. You want bad? Try watching the original dvd release of EATING RAOUL sometime. Maybe then you'd stop overusing words like "disgrace" when it is hardly warranted.

This is pointed at Zollman.

Shout/Scream Factory is all about quality just look at the Halloween III & From Beyond disc. I gotta agree I was disappointed with the quality of the Video. See it's our need as horror fans to buy all of their stuff because:

They provide you with:
Excellent packaging
Superb video(Howling not in this catogorey)
Brand new and old content
Whatever they can put on the disc the relates to the film
Resceecpt's films that deserve it

I had cancel quite a few pre-orders of Scream's stuff to afford the FT13TH boxset.

But compaired to the Howling trilogy set this Blu-ray is like Transfromers 2
ThisEvilBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1999-2014 Horrordvds.com

No text or images from this site may be reprinted or used elsewhere without express consent from Horrordvds.com