Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
ronnie21
HackMaster

Advice, order from amazon or shout factory??

When i go to order Death Valley, should i order from shout, or amazon. or are they both the same?
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

You will want to take shipping charges into consideration, but I usually stick with amazon's Canadian website for myself.
Always reliable and great customer service.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Nailwraps
HackMaster

I usually stick with Amazon.

I order from Shout! twice though (same with Full Moon).
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

The last two times Iíve ordered from Shout!, I have had bad experiences. They ship their merchandise in flimsy cardboard mailers that get easily bent. So both orders had posters along with them and they arrived crumpled and bent in some areas. Then my Terror Train BD was completely bent in half (not sure how the hell that was possible)Ö4 emails and a little over a month later, I finally received a replacement Terror Train BD.

Iíll stick with Amazon from now on I think.
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Jimmy S
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
You will want to take shipping charges into consideration, but I usually stick with amazon's Canadian website for myself.
Always reliable and great customer service.
Same for me and the good thing about them is that I won't pay more than the price my pre-order was and will pay less if the price decrease. Most of the time it isn't a big difference, but sometimes like with my pre-order of the Deadly Blessing blu-ray the difference is huge (I was fast enough to lock my price at 13.99$, now it is listed at 25.49$)

Last edited by Jimmy S; 11-21-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Jimmy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
The last two times Iíve ordered from Shout!, I have had bad experiences. They ship their merchandise in flimsy cardboard mailers that get easily bent. So both orders had posters along with them and they arrived crumpled and bent in some areas. Then my Terror Train BD was completely bent in half (not sure how the hell that was possible)Ö4 emails and a little over a month later, I finally received a replacement Terror Train BD.

Iíll stick with Amazon from now on I think.
Yeah, I've had some account problems with Shout! and they've never responded to a single email. What'd you use to contact them Chomp?

All my orders have arrived on my doorstep in one piece and on time so I've never needed to contact them about an order. But I wouldn't be confident in their service if something did happen. I only risk picking up the occasional exclusive from them.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
ronnie21
HackMaster

cool, since i dont order that money blu rays. i'll stick with amazon.. thanks..
ronnie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Shout's customer service isn't very good in my experience. I wanted to cancel an order a few months ago, and it took them almost a week to even reply back and cancel it. I'm also wary of shipping/packaging concerns like Chomp mentioned above.

I also don't like how they authorize your card used as payment at the end of every single month if you've pre-ordered something. Maybe that's changed since they revamped their site, I don't know?

If it's a really good "exclusive" on something, sure I'll use them again. But if it's only a mini-poster or something...I'll stick with pre-ordering stuff at Amazon.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
evildeadfan123
Sam & Dean Winchester

I haven't order from Shout Factory before, but I have ordered from Amazon, and every time it has arrived early and intact. When I have ordered from Amazon, it was more than $25.00, so the shipping was free, but I usually received the order in about 5 business days.

I know a good hangover remedy, a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray.

RIP: John Winchester, all us Supernatural fans will miss you.

http://www.myspace.com/jaredjensenfan

I love Jared's flaring nostrils
evildeadfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
WesReviews
HackMaster

I say Amazon.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Chomp
Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Yeah, I've had some account problems with Shout! and they've never responded to a single email. What'd you use to contact them Chomp?
Well, I used their form on the site for the first three times and didnít get a response. So, I just shipped the damaged blu ray (along with a detailed letter) to Shout!ís address. I checked the tracking # until I saw it was received and delivered and waited about a week without a response. Finally, I did some internet detective work, and got a hold of an actual name from Shout!ís sales department. I emailed him and he responded within 5min. that they did indeed receive the damaged product and a replacement would be on its way. Four days later I was finally able to watch the Terror Train BD.

I am assuming their contact form on their site might be a little wonky or perhaps flooded?

I donít know why Shout!ís cardboard mailers have failed to deliver my goods undamaged these last two times. I am much more fearful of ImportCDís chincy shrink wrap packaging technique, yet every time my DVDís/BDís miraculously arrive unscathed. I think my mailman just takes his frustration out on my packages when he sees he has to to get out of his truck and walk up to my porch. Fucker should be happy Iím keeping him in business Ha!
Chomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Stalker

I can't speak to Shout's packaging... I've only ordered from them once. But when I tried to cancel that order, like other people, I couldn't get a response through email or the online forum. I messaged Scream Factory through their facebook page and got a quick and friendly response.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
Well, I used their form on the site for the first three times and didnít get a response. So, I just shipped the damaged blu ray (along with a detailed letter) to Shout!ís address. I checked the tracking # until I saw it was received and delivered and waited about a week without a response. Finally, I did some internet detective work, and got a hold of an actual name from Shout!ís sales department. I emailed him and he responded within 5min. that they did indeed receive the damaged product and a replacement would be on its way. Four days later I was finally able to watch the Terror Train BD.
Yeah I used the web form too and never got a response from it. OK, well I'll just wait and see if my pre-order arrives. If it does then I suppose it doesn't matter if I can't log into my account because I probably won't order from them again.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Same for me and the good thing about them is that I won't pay more than the price my pre-order was and will pay less if the price decrease. Most of the time it isn't a big difference, but sometimes like with my pre-order of the Deadly Blessing blu-ray the difference is huge (I was fast enough to lock my price at 13.99$, now it is listed at 25.49$)
I jumped on this deal as well!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
X-human
I ate my keys

How about an update? As a glutton for punishment I ordered from their Christmas sale. Although I already received the items a week ago I got an email just today stating my transaction hadn't cleared. The hell of it is that their email subject said that payment HAD cleared. I checked my bank and it had cleared. So I checked on Shout's site and it lists my items as shipped and yet not shipped... I also noticed they charged me separately for the S&H and the items; so they paid double the fees for two separate transactions.

I did receive the items (which was another fiasco with the warehouse tossing in double and triple some items; so they shipped in separate boxes uping their costs) but in my experience over the past few months these guys are idiots. From the way they handled my account, processed my order and collected payments these guys are complete idiots. I'm fortunate that their idiocy was all in my favor but I wouldn't risk that ever again. I gave them a second try and they fucked it up even more.