Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's your favorite follow up to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)?
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 58 54.72%
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III 12 11.32%
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation 5 4.72%
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 15 14.15%
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) 11 10.38%
Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013) 4 3.77%
Haven't seen (SAW!) any of these. 1 0.94%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
rhett

Favorite Texas Chainsaw follow up

Now that TEXAS CHAINSAW 3D has had its chance to reach all of us sickos in theaters the last couple weeks, let's take a look back at the series. I think it's pretty much consensus that the best film in the series is the groundbreaking 1974 original, but what's next should prove for a fruitful debate. There seems to be a lot of different camps that have gravitated towards each sequel or reimagining over the years...which movie to follow the 1974 original is your favorite?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Ash28M
HackMaster

This one is pretty easy TCM 2 of course.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Body Boy
HackMaster

Very easy for me too. Texas Chainsaw 2003!
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Mikey Horror
HackMaster

Definitely part 2. Part 3 has its moments and as far as The Next Generation, the remake and the remake prequel, well, I just pretend they don't exist as I thought they were all terrible. Haven't had a chance to check out the new one yet. I'll probably just wait for the inevitable unrated blu-ray to give that a watch. Though I have to say, it does irk the shit out of me that they left the "Massacre" out of the title on the new one.

Last edited by Mikey Horror; 01-13-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Mikey Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
fceurich39
HackMaster

I voted for TC3D just because it feels so much like a truer sequel but who voted for Next Generation????
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #6
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

Part 2 is my favorite sequel in the series. Dennis Hopper and Bill Moseley are just so over the top in their roles which perfectly fits the tone of the film. Another reason to vote for Part 2...it's a Cannon Films production.
satans-sadists is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
shape22
HackMaster

I've gotta go with the remake. R. Lee Ermey's character is a great addition to the franchise. Nobody does crazy like that guy. He provides the kind of demented, uncomfortable laughs that really fit this franchise. Yeah, he's probably the only genuinely inspired element. But Jessica Biel is a fetching heroine (to put it mildly), the kid characters are less annoying than they are in the original, and the film is competent across the board. It's definitely a little slick--and much more mainstream than most of the other follow-ups. And I think the protracted final act loses steam a long way from the finish line. But the other films on this list have much greater faults in my eyes.

I'm generally a shameless Cannon apologist. But I've always thought TCM 2 is a really terrible film. I understand what Hooper was trying to do. I just don't think it works. At all. It's definitely a unique film. So I can understand the appeal. And I give credit to Hooper for going so far in a different direction. But despite multiple attempts I've never been able to get into it.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
allmessedup
It's beer time.

TCM 2 is my pick, but it definitely is not the same kind of film as the others so I can see why some might pick something else.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
kimboslice
Screamy Bopper

I think part 2 is my favorite but tcm the beginning is hands down the most brutal in the series and i dig that
kimboslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
startide
Stalker

TCM2 was banned in my country for decades until it was finally released on DVD. It should've stayed that way!!!

I like the remake the best. I like the original, but I'd only go so far as to say like.
startide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Watched TCM2 again tonight on bluray and boy does it suck. I honestly don't see how people like this entry at all. It's right at the bottom of the barrel with Next Generation. It has it's brief moments but mostly amounts to constant yelling, screaming and Chop-tops god awful banter. He has to be the worst character in the film. He just doesn't shut up.

Watched Leatherface TCM3 tonight as well and really enjoyed it. It has a better story, less annoying characters and breezes by much quicker than part 2.

I voted for The Beginning though, just because of how brutal it is. Definitely deserves the "massacre" in its title. I also think the remake is decent. It's never going to be the original but it takes all the best elements from it and does its own thing.

Hoping to see Texas Chainsaw 3D sometime soon.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Kim Bruun
HackMaster

Easy choice for me: Leatherface: TCM 3 - for all the reasons Zombie Dude stated and because it actually gives me a good jump.

That said, the only one I consider downright unwatchable is TCM: The Next Generation. I am a bit surprised that TCM 2 is so popular - I would liked it better if the comedic elements had been toned down and Bill Moseley had been reined in.

Last edited by Kim Bruun; 01-13-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Kim Bruun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Vance Vandy
Stalker

Part III. Worst would be the remake. Ermey was the only good thing in it. I enjoyed Next Generation as an odd curiosity.
Vance Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
allmessedup
It's beer time.

The remake has really not stuck with me over the years, it just seems like another forgettable remake. I didn't even think Ermey was really that good in it, it was just him doing FULL METAL JACKET all over again.

I have never been able to get through NEXT GENERATION.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmessedup View Post
I didn't even think Ermey was really that good in it, it was just him doing FULL METAL JACKET all over again.
I respectfully disagree. Both characters are sadistic bullies for sure. But Gunnery Sergeant Hartman undoubtedly believed there was purpose in the way he treated "non-hackers." And his ascension in the military is proof of his willingness to adhere to certain rules and codes.

Sheriff Hoyt, on the other hand, demonstrates no moral compass or higher purpose at all. There's a deviant quality to him, as evidenced in the scene where they remove the hitchhiker's body from the backseat of the van. His humor in that scene is a lot sicker than anything in Full Metal Jacket. Hartman is the kind of guy who'd probably help people in that situation. Hoyt?

There's a lot of Ermey in both performances--and a lot of his signature profane humor. But these are vastly different characters. Sheriff Hoyt is a lot scarier guy.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote