Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Mok
Family is Forever

The Houses that October Built

If you are someone that can't enjoy a film because your expectations were too high, turn back now because I'm about to gush. Don't read this as a review so much as a high recommendation.

I can confirm that this film is as great as it appears to be from the trailer. It proves that there is still greatness to be had from the "Found Footage" horror genre.

The Houses that October Built is a film about our fascination with wanting to chase after something that feels real. Something that actually scares us and makes us feel like a kid again. Will watching it make you feel that way? It actually doesn't have to, but it may. The point is, there is an impressive enough level of realism here that it should be praised on that alone. There were moments that I felt like I was watching a documentary rather than a found footage horror film which is a testament to the exceptional filmmaking that went into this.

I'll leave the synapsis to the trailer. What you see here is pretty much what you're in for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yedl4lY9VgM

It keeps you guessing throughout. The events that unfold seem to straddle a fine line between something meant to scare and something more sinister.

I hope to come back to this thread at one point and discuss or perhaps defend aspects of this. There is slightly more than meets the eye here in terms of plot and when you consider all the parts that needed to work together. If you were going to compare it to something like Blair Witch, it would be fair to say, this had a lot more planning involved and room for error and so the achievement here could arguably be greater. Blair Witch paved the way for something like this to be made but this handsomely touches the bar that was set.

Last edited by Mok; 10-22-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
SpaceAce
Maniac

I wish they would release a blu or even a DVD already....
SpaceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Great title, great premise, but I hope that trailer isn't indicative of the movie because it looks pretty unimpressive.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

I was immediately drawn to the poster, but seeing that it's another assembly line product of the Parannoying Activity Factory I knew to stay far away. And that you saying it's another played out found footage film confirms it for me.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Mok
Family is Forever

If the trailer doesn't entice you, then yes, stay away.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Saw this the other night. It was good, not great. I wasn't thrilled wih the ending, but as a movie set on Halloween, it's worth a watch. There's some good stuff, especially in the CCTV haunted house footage of real visitors!

I'd probably buy a BD, if and when it's released.
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

damn, do not see showtimes in Seattle.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
Christy
Stalker

I have this on a Screener DVD will watch it later tonight. My expectations are very low so I won't complain disappointment.
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

This was a really fun movie. It had the right atmosphere and authenticity for me, and the cast of characters were all likeable (something hard to come by in modern horror). My one big complaint would have to be the ending. I won't give anything away but the ending felt really cheap and unsuspenseful. After all the build up I really thought I was in for a real free for all, but what I got was next to nothing. A watchable film all around if you like found footage films.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Buechlers_beard
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetwarrior View Post
This was a really fun movie. It had the right atmosphere and authenticity for me, and the cast of characters were all likeable (something hard to come by in modern horror). My one big complaint would have to be the ending. I won't give anything away but the ending felt really cheap and unsuspenseful. After all the build up I really thought I was in for a real free for all, but what I got was next to nothing. A watchable film all around if you like found footage films.
Yep!
Buechlers_beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Zillamon51
Maniac

Damn. This isn't playing near me any more. After the good reviews on this site, I would like to have checked it out. I thought it would stick around longer, as my nearest multiplex seems a bit desperate for content (30 screens to fill).
Zillamon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #12
Mok
Family is Forever

In regards to the ending:
Spoiler:
What I love about the end is that it leaves you wondering if the Blue Skeleton crew would eventually drop the shroud. They never really confirm one way or another whether these characters befall some horrible demise or if they are allowed out and are maybe even complicit in the release of the film. They cut away before you see anything definitive and the tension of waiting to see exactly how far things would go was what riveted me. I admittedly felt it ended abruptly and waited through the credits to see if they would reveal one way or another. I'm actually glad they didn't. You're supposed to suspend your disbelief and play along and had they shown someone actually dying, it would have undermined the whole thing because there's no way it could be a snuff film. That's a point that one could argue for the end to Blair Witch, which also needed to avoid showing anyone dying to maintain ambiguity. I think Houses October Built pulled it off better because you know it's the villains who are depriving you. Blue Skeleton decided how much you got to see. What they present to you works in their favour. It leaves you wanting more on purpose.

Last edited by Mok; 10-23-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Amazon has a Blu-Ray listing prepared for this film. No release date or preorder yet, but it looks like one may be coming.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O3QAW50/...um%2Findex.php
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Dying to see this film!
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
burieddeep
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Dying to see this film!
I liked it...the ending leaves you wondering if it was literally the end of the group or was it just the most extreme haunt. I certainly wouldn't want it to go that far.
burieddeep is offline   Reply With Quote