Is Media Blasters Out of Business?

Can anyone confirm or deny this?:

http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...7&postcount=39
Ptflea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post
I don't think so. They had a booth at Comic-Con last month. Smaller than what they've had in the past, but still plenty of discs for sale.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
X-human
I ate my keys

The question isn't how many discs they have for sale, it's how many they've been able to sell.

Looks like there were lay offs earlier this year: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...offs-furloughs

Media Blasters has been notorious for missing deadlines, so it's hard to say with any certainty what's going on. Whatever it may be, it ain't looking good. Wizard World is this weekend, I'll ask my friends to keep an eye out for their booth.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Samhoryak
Screamy Bopper

The message does say that this month was when the crap really hit the fan with the warehouse being locked up. A lot changes in a month.

I hope they stay around and these are just rumors. They have released some of my favorite films.
Samhoryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

I don't have any numbers/specifics in regards to Media Blasters itself, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true. This economy is murderous on small businesses and film distribution has not fared much better than any other industry.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
TheDreamMaster
Stalker

I hope it's not true; if it is, they had a hell of a run. And I still have titles to get from them, so I guess now's the time.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
rhett

I've sent a message to one of the higher ups at Media Blasters. Will post a news update once I hear back from him. Hopefully they're still around...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
KamuiX
The Eighth Samurai

If this turns out to be true, definitely have to pick some stuff up before they're going for exorbitant prices. It'll be a real shame not only due to the fact that I doubt anyone else would bother releasing Buio Omega on Blu, but I fear what will happen to their massive catalog of titles, many of which may never been seen on R1 again. This is somewhat of a shock considering they tended to release pretty much anything, regardless of quality, giving the appearance they were just fine monetarily and willing to still take risks on things that clearly weren't going to sell.

Please visit my site...It's the future!

Wii Friend Code: 8897-8584-2714-5768 // XBL & PS3 GamerTag: KamuiXZero
KamuiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
dave13
HackMaster

so this would mean no more shriek show? i can't believe that.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Erick H.
HackMaster

I hope it's not the case.Maybe they didn't always make their deadlines but a lot of their releases were really great.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Touch The Sun

i think they still have their online store. i have a MB dvd i just cant remember what movie
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Paff

I still wouldn't ignore the Comic-Con presence. While not as big as usual, the booth was at least double-size (that's gonna be a few thousand dollars alone), and was staffed by several people, not to mention there were guest signings and special appearances. This amounts to lots of money for plane fare (MB is based in New York) and hotel rooms for everyone. They probably spent at least $10-20K to have a presence at Con, not typical behavior for a dying company.

Still, if they did indeed go tits-up, hunt around for their titles. Don't assume they're all hard-to-find. In fact, they probably get sold to various wholesalers for pennies on the dollar. I remember when Tartan initially died, I was able to go to a swap meet (flea market) and the DVD wholesalers had tons of unopened Tartan movies (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, etc) all for no more than $5 each.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
TheDreamMaster
Stalker

Hope you're right about MB, would be a shame to see them go.

As for Tartan, I had the same experience--went to a flea market this summer, and it was littered with their releases for a buck each.
TheDreamMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
rhett

Well, I spoke to one of the higher ups, or should I say former higher ups. He no longer works for them, and says that most of that AV Maniacs thread is "mostly true". He does state that the BUIO OMEGA HD transfer is completed, so it would just be a matter of pressing the disc, but that given their current situation he says "I wouldn't hold my breath on anything coming out of that place."

Unless they're trying to weather the storm with only a couple staffers remaining, I think it's sadly safe to say we've lost another to the recession...
Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Serega_M
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
I think it's sadly safe to say we've lost another to the recession...
Noy only to the recession but to the ever increasing online piracy and illegal sharing as well, as a lot of people nowadays do not even understand how it is - to pay for a movie... At least where I live.