Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
horrorscreamer
Victim

Tourist Trap on Blu-Ray!

Out in Japan on the 3rd of September is Tourist Trap on Blu-Ray!
Who else is excited? =)

horrorscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I imagine the cost will be pretty prohibitive to most. I'll just wait out the U.S. or UK disc; I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens (I would think it's one of Full Moon's more requested titles).

That said, it's a cool little flick and I'm certainly happy it's making the HD jump one way or another!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I'd be excited if I knew it actually came sourced from a new HD master.

I do know that 88 Films said very recently that no true HD master from Full Moon existed yet.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
horrorscreamer
Victim

It's being released on the same day as several other Full Moon films + I have some Jap Blu-Rays and they're all excellent so I have no reason to think that this is not from a HD-master. And I take everything Full Moon with a grain of salt, they claimed that OAR for the Puppet Master movies were 4:3 for several years until one day we have OAR 1.85:1 Blu-Rays of the first three.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

This movie needs/deserves a great blu-ray release! :-) Along with some neat special features! :-)
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorscreamer View Post
It's being released on the same day as several other Full Moon films + I have some Jap Blu-Rays and they're all excellent so I have no reason to think that this is not from a HD-master. And I take everything Full Moon with a grain of salt, they claimed that OAR for the Puppet Master movies were 4:3 for several years until one day we have OAR 1.85:1 Blu-Rays of the first three.
Good point, but there are also some very bad Japanese Blu-rays out there. This just isn't a film I'd waste a ton of money on before seeing an actual review, especially if a US or UK Blu-ray with extra features were soon forthcoming.

The Puppet Master Blu-rays are actually 1.78:1 though, pretty much the de facto standard these days.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
horrorscreamer
Victim

Really? I've yet to see a bad Japanese Blu-Ray. Taiwanese Blu-Rays? Yes, ugh, upscales anyone? But Japanese, no...
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
And I take everything Full Moon with a grain of salt, they claimed that OAR for the Puppet Master movies were 4:3 for several years until one day we have OAR 1.85:1 Blu-Rays of the first three.
One thing is what Full Moon says, that today has no credibility whatsoever... other is what 88 Films says.

Quote:
Really? I've yet to see a bad Japanese Blu-Ray. Taiwanese Blu-Rays? Yes, ugh, upscales anyone? But Japanese, no...
Every 80s/90s Fortune Star/IVL Japanese release is bad as hell... totally upscaled shit!

Not Japan to blame for that as the print source is from China, but in the end, as we´re talking Japanese editions... it is released by them.

Last edited by Demoni; 04-25-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
horrorscreamer
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
One thing is what Full Moon says, that today has no credibility whatsoever... other is what 88 Films says.

Every 80s/90s Fortune Star/IVL Japanese release is bad as hell... totally upscaled shit!

Not Japan to blame for that as the print source is from China, but in the end, as we´re talking Japanese editions... it is released by them.
Fair enough but 88 Films might just have been told this by Full Moon, meaning 88 films most likely does not have a HD-print even though there might very well exist one. The company releasing Tourist Trap in Japan has a good track record when it comes to blu-rays so at least I am feeling optimistic :P
Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
X-human
I ate my keys

Rifftrax released a streaming version of Tourist Trap recently that looked very good so I was wondering if Full Moon had done a new master. It's tough to roll the dice on any Full Moon release though.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
chancetx
Stalker

"Tourist Trap" was the very first DVD I ever bought so I'd love to upgrade to a high quality Blu. Would love to see new extras produced - Chuck Conners is sadly gone but I believe all the other cast members are still alive so interviews or commentary would be welcome. I enjoyed director David Schmoeller's original commentary but an updated moderated track (with some or all of the cast) would be welcome. And years ago I came across a blog or website of someone who had acquired many of the original masks used in the film. An interview and look at that collection would be cool. And as long as I'm dreaming, how about an isolated track of Pino Donaggio's score or bonus soundtrack CD?
chancetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

I actually just revisited the DVD 2 weekends ago for the first time in quite a while. Really a great flick that I feel is above most of the other crap I see come out of Full Moon. I was excited when I first saw this thread, but I'm all set with a Japanese release - I'm sure there will be a nice US release at some point.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
horrorscreamer
Victim

Specs announced:
- New Master Version digitally remastered from original negative.
- Audio Commentary by David Shumora.
- Japanese Dub from the Japanese TV-Release.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Since a new master has apparently been struck it's safe to say there will be a US edition sometime down the road, just hopefully it won't be too far away.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
JimSmith
Banned Mofo

Tourist Trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Since a new master has apparently been struck it's safe to say there will be a US edition sometime down the road, just hopefully it won't be too far away.
It should've come out in America here first! What the hell is it doing being released in Japan first?!
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote