Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Site Polls

View Poll Results: What's the worst Dracula movie?
Billy the Kid vs. Dracula 1 3.13%
Count Dracula's Great Love 0 0%
Die Hard Dracula 0 0%
Doctor Dracula 0 0%
Dracula (The Dirty Old Man) 0 0%
Dracula 2000 4 12.50%
Dracula II: Ascension 0 0%
Dracula III: Legacy 0 0%
Dracula 3D 10 31.25%
Dracula AD 1972 0 0%
Dracula: Dead & Loving It 5 15.63%
Dracula's Dog 1 3.13%
Killer Barbys vs. Dracula 1 3.13%
Mama Dracula 0 0%
Son of Dracula (1974) 1 3.13%
Tendre Dracula 0 0%
The Satanic Rites of Dracula 0 0%
Blood of Dracula's Castle 1 3.13%
Dracula 3000 7 21.88%
Other (specify in thread)... 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
rhett

Worst Dracula Movie

Not a lot of love out there for Dario Argento's latest foray into exploitation excess in DRACULA 3D, but that's certainly not the first time a Dracula flick has been met with tepid reviews. Which Dracula flick, for your money, sucks hardest? Or if you want a different pun, has the least bite?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Jeremy
Closet SCREAM fan

BLOOD OF DRACULA'S CASTLE (1969) gets my vote as the all-time worst. Although it does feature breathtaking cinematography by the great László Kovács. Seriously, I have never seen such a beautiful-looking piece of shit in all my life.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Paff

Thankfully, I haven't seen most of these. And hey, I like Dracula AD1972. Caroline Munro gives any movie at least a 1 and a half star head start merely by having her name in the credits.
Dracula's Dog, AKA Zoltan Hound of Dracula....well, just see my review: http://horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=434

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
And hey, I like Dracula AD1972. Caroline Munro gives any movie at least a 1 and a half star head start merely by having her name in the credits.
How could anyone not like Dracula AD 1972?

Wasn't Dracula 3000 supposed to be awful? I thought that would make the list.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
maybrick
HackMaster

Dracula 3000 is not only the worst Dracula film, but one of the worst horror films of all time.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
shape22
HackMaster

Argento's is the worst for me because it has nothing to add and no redeeming qualities. He must really need money. I can't imagine any other reason for phoning in such a half-assed take of a story that's been beaten to death. C'mon Dario. When you're making a cash grab at least feign interest like Michael Caine did for The Swarm.

Although a technically superior film, I'd throw Coppola's mess into this discussion. The art direction, cinematography, and old school effects are sensational. But the atrocious casting of Reeves and Ryder, the manic over-acting of Hopkins, and the outrageously misguided decision to turn Stoker's book into a tawdry romance make it all-but-unwatchable for me. Yeah, it includes more of Stoker's plot points than most (but not all) other adaptations. But it turns Dracula himself into something far less interesting. The stink of Anne Rice is all over it. Or is it the stench of the Lifetime channel? I could easily imagine the screenplay being written by the same guy who produced the endless string of Lifetime originals that saw Crystal Bernhard battle bulimia, spousal battery, cancer, etc.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
Dracula 3000 is not only the worst Dracula film, but one of the worst horror films of all time.
Agreed. That one was just truly atrocious... it had absolutely nothing positive going for it.

Dracula 3D is really, really BAD... but at least it's still "watchable" in comparison to that.

Katatonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
sade
Screamy Bopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I couldn't agree more, the ending is one of the best WTF moment of all times!
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Cooperkill
Stalker

Dracula 2000 is a 90 minute Virgin commercial.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
X-human
I ate my keys

I know it has its fans, but Jess Franco's Count Dracula was the worst for me simply because it has the most wasted potential. Herbert Lom as Van Helsing? Soledad Miranda as Lucy? Klaus Kinski as Renfield? KINSKI! AS RENFIELD! Christopher Lee as Dracula even? But this has to be the most coma inducing adaptation I've seen. Even Argento's had a better Dracula and Van Helsing.

Even Satanic Rites of Dracula is better simply because Peter Cushing actually tried in that (he's good in everything). Plus boobies.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I know it has its fans, but Jess Franco's Count Dracula was the worst for me simply because it has the most wasted potential. Herbert Lom as Van Helsing? Soledad Miranda as Lucy? Klaus Kinski as Renfield? KINSKI! AS RENFIELD! Christopher Lee as Dracula even? But this has to be the most coma inducing adaptation I've seen. Even Argento's had a better Dracula and Van Helsing.

Even Satanic Rites of Dracula is better simply because Peter Cushing actually tried in that (he's good in everything). Plus boobies.
Wait, are you saying that Jess Franco's Count Dracula doesn't have boobies? (I've never seen it, so this is not a sarcastic question). From the movies I've seen, Franco can't get through the opening credits without showing at least some boobage.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #12
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Wait, are you saying that Jess Franco's Count Dracula doesn't have boobies? (I've never seen it, so this is not a sarcastic question). From the movies I've seen, Franco can't get through the opening credits without showing at least some boobage.
That is correct sir, this doesn't even have nudity. That doesn't really go against it, but it certainly doesn't earn it any points either. Except for a few camera zooms you wouldn't think this was Franco at all.

Even for a Franco fan there's nothing really here. So everyone walks away disappointed. With something like Dracula 3000 or even Dracula 3D we all knew what we were getting into. Franco's Dracula was done during his prime, with an assembled cast all in their primes, and it's almost entirely forgettable. That's the real crime.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
indiephantom
Horny Spirit

Haven't seen many of those, but Dracula 2000 certainly was uninspired.

indiephantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
horrorscreamer
Victim

Okay Dracula 2000 was the Dracula movie for the Scream-generation and succeeded in being just that. Dracula 3000 was awful yes, BUT at least it had a "fresh" angle with it being in space. Dario Argento's Dracula 3D barely even had angle. But I dare you to find something as awful as;

horrorscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
maybrick
HackMaster

An idea is only fresh if it has never been done before, and putting a famous monster "in space" had been done with Hellraiser, Leprechaun, and Jason beforehand. As far as taking the Dracula story and putting it in space, the old 80s Buck Rogers series starring Gil Gerard and Erin Grey did it better in one of their eps.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote