Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-11-2002, 07:10 AM   #1
Nexus_06

Document of the dead

Ahhhhhhh mannnn fooled again

I was just checking out my dutch dawn of the dead 2 dvd set and I found out that my documantary runs for 60 mins and the real documentary runs for 84 mins.

boodly helll I am missing 24 minutes of the documentary document of the dead and that pisses me off.

what am I missing and is it any good
could you guys that have compared both documentarys tell me what did I loose.
thanks.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:11 PM   #2
KillerQ

Hello....

I have never heard of the 60 minute version - but unfortunately, i can assur you that whatever footge you are missing is good. Also, the "official" release on DVD also includes a full lenght audio commentary along with a bunch of missing scenes, and quite lengthy interviews.....

Why would these people edit this documentary to put it on your DVD set? Hhmm.. Kinda weird...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 02-11-2002, 02:08 PM   #3
vitaebellanot

I've owned both so I beleive I know what I'm talking about, the 60 minute version on the dutch twin disc DOTD is the original version, the documentary's director whent back and added more of George having a wine about nobody giving him any money to make films (having seen some of the drek he's made, I'm supprised anyone gave him the money to make Dawn of the Dead, which IMO is arguably the best horror film ever made) and this was added to the Synapse version, but the 60 minute version has what little DOTD location footage there is and is a more than adequate version of this very, very dull doc.

As for missing commentary, commentary to a dull ducumentary yeah I'll be spending my time listening that then, the alternate end titles 'dull' and more deleted scenes that should have stayed that way of (and this will supprise you) George and co. having a wine about money!!!

One of the deleted interviews includes a bit more Savini talking about NOTLD 1990 but I beleive it was edited well in the original version.

Last edited by vitaebellanot; 02-11-2002 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
CrumpsBro

I've only seen the longer Synapse version of <b>Document</b> but to me the most interesting stuff in the movie was the interviews, particularly the 15 minutes or so (spread out throughout the flick) with Romero.

If the Dutch version (original version?) is missing that footage, then it's missing the best parts IMO.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:54 PM   #5
napalm68

I agree. I've got the Dutch version, and have seen the longer version, and the longer one is much better. I found it pretty good in the long one Romero talking about the "independent" studios, funding problems. All this was missing from the dutch version.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
spawningblue
Deadite

This documentary has had a pretty confusing set of releases. Currently there are four version of the film out there. I thought I would put this together for the fans to help make sense of it all. Special thanks to the boys of Profondo Cinema as they provided a lot of useful info to get me started.

If any of the info I have written is wrong, let me know and I will correct it. As far as I can tell, there is no actual definite version out there that contains all the footage. I believe you have to own at least three versions of the film to have it all (Synapse SE DVD, Dawn of the Dead UE DVD or DOTD Arrow Blu, and Synapse Definitive Blu-ray) footage and extra wise.

Original 1979 Release - 66 min.

This is the original 16 mm version that was released as an educational video for New York's School of Visual Arts. It has only been released once on home video and that is on Synapse's limited to 1,500 Bluray in high def. This is Romero's preferred cut as it ends on a happier note then the various re-releases.

1989 Edit - 84 min.

This cut added some shot on video footage on the set of Two Evil Eyes, labelled "10 Years Later". Some of his more recent films are mentioned including Martin, Monkey Shines, Two Evil Eyes and the Night of the Living Dead remake. This is the most well known version and the one that was released on VHS, as well as on laserdisc and a Special Edition DVD from Synapse. It is also the version found on the Arrow Dawn of the Dead Bluray, and most other foreign releases of Dawn of the Dead.

The Synapse DVD and Arrow Dawn Bluray include an exclusive commentary from writer/producer/director Roy Frumkes and crew, 7 min. of deleted footage from the original shoot, as well as 20 min. of extra footage (Labeled "Lost Interview" on some releases) from the set of Two Evil Eyes with interviews with Adrienne Barbeau, George Romero, and Tom Savini.

2004 Edit - 92 min.

This is the version that was released on Anchor Bay's Ultimate Edition Dawn of the Dead DVD. It is the same as the 84 min. version, but with some of the extra footage (From the Special Edition DVD and Arrow Bluray) inserted back in.

2012 Definitive Edit - 104 min.

This cut was released by Synapse on DVD by itself or as a bonus with the limited edition Bluray. It shortens the original documentary, but in turn adds new footage shot on a digital camera from the sets of Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and a tiny amount from Survival of the Dead during the credits.

This releases includes a new Commentary from writer/producer/director Roy Frumkes.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 04-03-2013 at 07:07 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
vidjunkie
Stalker

I have the Synapse Blu-ray and it does have the 66 minute Doc blu-ray and a DVD that is 102 minutes, but I also have a 2-Disc Set of Dawn of The Dead that has these on Disc 2,
- Fan of The Dead 52 mins
- Document of The Dead 84 mins
- Document of The Dead : Lost Interview 20 mins
- Document of The Dead Deleted Scenes
vidjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjunkie View Post
I have the Synapse Blu-ray and it does have the 66 minute Doc blu-ray and a DVD that is 102 minutes, but I also have a 2-Disc Set of Dawn of The Dead that has these on Disc 2,
- Fan of The Dead 52 mins
- Document of The Dead 84 mins
- Document of The Dead : Lost Interview 20 mins
- Document of The Dead Deleted Scenes
Yeah I mentioned all of this under the 84 min. version. I didn't mention Fan of the Dead as it is unrelated to Frumkes Document of the Dead

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

Thanks Spawning Blue. I knew several versions of this existed, but I didn't know how many or if I had them all. Turns out I do have all of them. For all those that are still interested in the original, the Synapse blu-ray which is limited to 1500 is still available.