Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Stephen King's IT being "reimagined" for the big screen?

This will probably divide people!

Personally, even if I do love the first half of Tommy Lee Wallace's TV movie, I think the second half sucks awfully hard. As a whole, that film simply didn't do the book justice at all.

So I'm actually interested in seeing where this goes. I don't think anyone can top Tim Curry's Pennywise, but even if the new film falls flat, his legendary performance isn't going anywhere.

Read all about it here.

However, I must say, given that this is such a long book, why not just do a big-budget mini-series (again)?

And, while they're at it ('it' meaning whatever they choose to do, eventually), why don't they just go ahead and remake The Stand miniseries as well? Because for all the things they got right in that thing, they got something else terribly wrong.

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Slackjaw83
Lonely St. Tattooer

The initial TV mini was, as you stated, REALLY unbalanced. The first half, IMO, was completely amazing, while the 2nd suffered from a plethora of issues. In that respect, having another go sounds like a good idea.

That said, if they DO only focus on the later half and relegate the initial encounter to a shorter prologue/flashbacks/etc., I'll be a bit let down. The story's a great read, and deserves to be brought to the screen reasonably faithfully.

The other issue is Tim Curry's performance in the mini. Seriously, it was perfectly nightmare-enducing and still, to this day, creeps me out a bit. The guy really seemed to enjoy playing "Evil", and doing it in a way that was completely over-the-top but never "winking" at the camera and hamming it up(looking your direction, Mr. Englund....)

Like I said, I'm definitely curious, but I think we'll have to wait and see whaty else comes of this before making any definite, semi-concrete statements about it.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
NaturesMistake
Stalker

I'm down. The original, while fine, was a censored made for T.V. movie...

All though I doubt they would get away with six twelve year old boys running a train on a twelve year old girl in a feature film (yes, if you haven't read the book, they all fuck her to "bond."
NaturesMistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
j tea
Stalker

this would be a series of 'remakes' i would be ok with. i feel like in the rush to make every possible sk adaptation a lot of things were botched. im sure most people would agree. there were certainly some solid pieces of film-making born of the movement, 'the shining' 'stand by me' 'carrie' 'the dead zone' and 'misery' to name a few, but some of the more epic works demand a more sensitive and reverent approach than i think they have gotten.
j tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesMistake View Post
I'm down. The original, while fine, was a censored made for T.V. movie...

All though I doubt they would get away with six twelve year old boys running a train on a twelve year old girl in a feature film (yes, if you haven't read the book, they all fuck her to "bond."
yeah....that was.....ummm.....yeah.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Alan Smithee
Stalker

Quote:
I'm down. The original, while fine, was a censored made for T.V. movie.
My feelings as well. I'm down, but I do hope they keep Tim Curry.
Alan Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
cjg
Maniac

Smile It

At least this one wont have to put up with John Boy Walton in this one
cjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
shockwave
Stalker

I agree, the original movie which I own, the first half with the kid actors(many of whom went onto success afterwards) was great, the 2nd with the adult not so much. I think with a book like this the best thing would be to split it up over two movies, you could have the kids in part 1 and the adults in the 2nd with a bit of flashbacking or interspersing thrown in, I think especially with a novel that size would be the only way to really tackle it intelligently. And I'm gonna guess the kiddie gang bang will be left out of this one as well, unless they're all 20 year olds casted to play teens ala every movie in the past 10 years.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
What the hell was with that? And it was literally the only thing the girl was there for wasn't it? That's probably the first thing I'd throw out if I were adapting the book, regardless of censorship concerns.

A book's a book, I'm OK with them adapting it as many times as they want. I don't see it the same way as I see remakes.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
A book's a book, I'm OK with them adapting it as many times as they want. I don't see it the same way as I see remakes.
If filmmakers/producers/money whores would remake movies for a reason - to further explore certain themes; fix old errors; because the old film is relevant in some way today - I'd be perfectly fine with it. But when they're trying to cash in on well known titles, and basically not really caring what the hell they're doing with the new stuff, then I feel angry.

Same goes with books - if they see a relevant point in refilming it, the best of luck to them.

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Totally. The way I see it, there are a million and one interpretations of a book that you could adapt into a good movie. However, when you remake a movie (particularly a classic) there isn't much you can do with it that could make it better. Remaking a classic film is about as blasphemous as rewriting a classic novel. Nobody ever reads Moby Dick and says afterward, "That book was fantastic! I think I can write it a little better. It's so old fashioned now." You don't see that, do you? And why not? It's the same basic principle.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
X-human
I ate my keys

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
maybrick
HackMaster

I stand corrected!
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
geeare

I've always hated Tim as Pennywise. He just looks nothing like I pictured in my head. Anyway, I'd love to see a re-make since I was so diappointed in the TV series. It will be reduced to practically nothing on the big screen but I don't care. I'm ready for it.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
snowbeast323
Maniac

At least if its on the big screen it won't take three hours to geth through the entire story

La Toya Jackson fan and proud!
snowbeast323 is offline   Reply With Quote