Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 10-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #31
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

I sold my AB wood box edition long ago, then the regular 2-disc went for a nice price as well, so I don't mind paying a fair price--I just hope it gets a similar release in the states.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #32
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

Apparently this will be coming to the US on 01/07/2014. Wal-Mart has put up a preorder.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/30949186
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #33
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Alright!
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #34
buck135
The Duke of New York

That's a great price, but it just doesn't have the value that the U.K. Studio Canal 3 disc bd has. Still waiting for the price to get a little bit cheaper before I buy that though.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #35
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Amazon pre-order for the US release!:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Wic...SIN=B00G3DA63Y
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #36
zbinks
!OXOMOXO! ƎYƎ AM THE I

I have a bad feeling that the US release is getting shafted somehow.

UK MSRP (2 BD, 1 CD): 44.99
US MSRP (? BD, ? CD): $19.99
zbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #37
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
I have a bad feeling that the US release is getting shafted somehow.

UK MSRP (2 BD, 1 CD): 44.99
US MSRP (? BD, ? CD): $19.99

I share your feelings. It's Lionsgate, after all. Can't wait to see what they come up with for artwork
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #38
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Lionsgate? Screw that. Being region-free is a necessity these days. I'd rather have the UK set...which should arrive to me any day now.

The Lionsgate edition will be inferior, it's as definite as death and taxes. They're just a step down from Anchor Bay anymore.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

It may not be season for the Harvest, but Lord Summerisle invites you to partake in the domestic blu debut of Robin Hardy's THE WICKER MAN (1973)! Receiving a letter detailing the disappearance of a young girl, mainland cop Sgt. Howie makes his way to the secluded island of Summerisle, an obscure place known mainly for its produce export. Upon his arrival, he's confused by the nature of the locals, who not only offer no help, but claim no knowledge of the missing girl at all! His devout Christian background at constant odds with their free-willed pagan heritage, he's convinced there's a terrifying secret to this town -- but what exactly is it?

Often imitated, frequently ripped off, and eventually even remade, the original WICKER MAN is a true genre classic that still remains a potent viewing experience after 40 years. Scripted by famed writer Anthony Shaffer (SLEUTH, FRENZY), the film carefully peels back its layers until the truth of Summerisle is revealed -- one that's probably less shocking now thanks to the proliferation of Nicholas Cage Youtube compilations. The cast is uniformly excellent, with television star Edward Woodward giving his all as a man determined to unravel the mystery handed to him no matter the cost, and Hammer star Christopher Lee branching out from his Dracula / Fu Manchu image and practically stealing the show. And who can forget Britt Ekland's famous dance...

No details have emerged yet on Lionsgate's upcoming release, but being part of their Studio Canal collection I imagine it should duplicate the Region B import pretty closely. "Come. It is time to keep your appointment with the Wicker Man."

Blu-Ray Preorder (1/7/14) -- $13.99 :
Direct links at Cinema Arcana!
http://bruceholecheck.blogspot.com/2...s-of-note.html

Theatrical Trailer!
http://youtu.be/5FdV-O8o7ok

bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #40
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

And of course I get the sales information right after I write the release up and spread it around... Here's the important bits:

* New artwork available on Blu-ray for the first time @ $19.99 SRP
* All-new restored edition of Robin Hardy’s final cut
* Restoration Comparison
* "The Music of THE WICKER MAN" Featurette
* "Worshipping THE WICKER MAN" Featurette
* Interview with Director Robin Hardy

(And why do I get shit for posting Amazon links, yet everyone else gets to?)
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #41
Paff

So, is this playing in anyone else's area?

I just saw it listed at a downtown theater. Now, what made it interesting is that it's not a one-off screening, like most of the other Halloween revival. It's playing six times a day!
http://www.fandango.com/gaslampstadi...et/theaterpage
I'm pretty sure it's not a 35mm print, but I bet it's a DCP. Better than DVD/Blu.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #42
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce h View Post
And of course I get the sales information right after I write the release up and spread it around... Here's the important bits:

* New artwork available on Blu-ray for the first time @ $19.99 SRP
* All-new restored edition of Robin Hardy’s final cut
* Restoration Comparison
* "The Music of THE WICKER MAN" Featurette
* "Worshipping THE WICKER MAN" Featurette
* Interview with Director Robin Hardy

(And why do I get shit for posting Amazon links, yet everyone else gets to?)
It sounds like it won't even be comparable to the 3-Disc UK set then. Unless that's incorrect or just incomplete... it'll be missing quite a few bonus features. It just really sounds like it'll be a single disc... Lionsgate generally goes the cheap route.

The Final Cut looks great restored in HD, but it's nice to have the original Theatrical Cut (which also looks great) in HD as well. The Director's Cut looks like crap though.

As for the Amazon links, I'm not sure who's giving you shit about them? It's probably because of the Amazon referral link, since this forum also has one to use to help Dave pay for the hosting costs.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #43
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
It sounds like it won't even be comparable to the 3-Disc UK set then. Unless that's incorrect or just incomplete... it'll be missing quite a few bonus features. It just really sounds like it'll be a single disc... Lionsgate generally goes the cheap route.

The Final Cut looks great restored in HD, but it's nice to have the original Theatrical Cut (which also looks great) in HD as well. The Director's Cut looks like crap though.
From digging around and looking at reviews it appears that the extended director's cut is presented in SD on the UK release. What's the point of that?

I don't care about the truncated theatrical cut. And I already have the soundtrack CD and several different SD versions of the long cut. So for me at least the U.S. version will have to do. The pre-order price is down to $14.99 at Amazon. I can't justify an extra $30 to import the UK version just for lossless audio on the long cut.

Hopefully the U.S. transfer is the same. If it is that's all I need.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #44
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape22 View Post
From digging around and looking at reviews it appears that the extended director's cut is presented in SD on the UK release. What's the point of that?

I don't care about the truncated theatrical cut. And I already have the soundtrack CD and several different SD versions of the long cut. So for me at least the U.S. version will have to do. The pre-order price is down to $14.99 at Amazon. I can't justify an extra $30 to import the UK version just for lossless audio on the long cut.

Hopefully the U.S. transfer is the same. If it is that's all I need.
I don't know why the Director's Cut was just an SD upscale. Perhaps the elements just weren't there for that cut, or striking a 3rd HD transfer for that cut was deemed superfluous. It does have the audio commentary however. It's there for completists sakes anyway...and the audio commentary is great.

If the US specs are accurate, it won't have the following extras that are on the UK release:

Burnt Offering: The Cult of the Wicker Man documentary
Robin Hardy Interview
'79 Christopher Lee & Robin Hardy Interview

So it may be missing about 1+ hours of those features, plus the lack of the commentary. If you have the UK "Director's Cut" DVD release from 2009, you'll have those already though.

The gold metallic foil Sip Cover on the UK release is quite beautiful. Zavvi's SteelBook seems like no big loss now.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
shape22
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
I don't know why the Director's Cut was just an SD upscale. Perhaps the elements just weren't there for that cut, or striking a 3rd HD transfer for that cut was deemed superfluous. It does have the audio commentary however. It's there for completists sakes anyway...and the audio commentary is great.

If the US specs are accurate, it won't have the following extras that are on the UK release:

Burnt Offering: The Cult of the Wicker Man documentary
Robin Hardy Interview
'79 Christopher Lee & Robin Hardy Interview

So it may be missing about 1+ hours of those features, plus the lack of the commentary. If you have the UK "Director's Cut" DVD release from 2009, you'll have those already though.

The gold metallic foil Sip Cover on the UK release is quite beautiful. Zavvi's SteelBook seems like no big loss now.
Thanks for the run-down Kat. The 3-disc 2006 Studio Canal release definitely includes the Burnt Offering documentary, the commentary, and a Hardy/Lee tandem interview (said to be from 1973) that runs about 20 minutes (in lousy video quality). I think it's the same interview that's described as being from 1979 on the Blu.

I guess they are using the inferior quality of the extra prologue scenes to justify the decision to present the director's cut in SD. But with that being the case I don't have nearly enough motivation to go to the expense of importing the 3-disc UK Blu-ray. A (relatively) bargain-priced, barebones HD release will cover me here.
shape22 is offline   Reply With Quote