Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #31
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Well now hold on a minute. There really was a noticeable leap in quality when they started using HD masters to make DVDs. Next I'm going to hear that for "old movies" 1080p isn't much better then 480i upconverted on most people's set ups so we shouldn't bother with Blu-ray either.

What people are confusing here is the marketing with the product. Let's not lose sight of what the actual product is. Sony is giving us bigger better transfers of films like Ghostbusters and Raimi's Spider-Man. I'm very happy that they've re-did the transfer on Ghostbusters. I couldn't care less if there's a "4K' banner along the top of that improved transfer or not. An improved transfer is an improved transfer. That they went the Superbit route is all the better since I own all these extras twice over already, and more.

We want bigger better transfers. All day long I read on here people bitching for bigger better transfers. Why is everyone so quick to shit all over these bigger better transfers?
That was basically my point.

Of course these are going to look marginally better if done right. But those thinking they're going to get actual "4K" resolution? No, these aren't currently any better than what is technically capable on the Blu-ray format.

And also they haven't tweaked around with the contrast as much as the old Blu-ray transfer, so any improvement is not all about the increase in resolution coming from the "4K" master.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #32
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
Well now hold on a minute. There really was a noticeable leap in quality when they started using HD masters to make DVDs. Next I'm going to hear that for "old movies" 1080p isn't much better then 480i upconverted on most people's set ups so we shouldn't bother with Blu-ray either.

What people are confusing here is the marketing with the product. Let's not lose sight of what the actual product is. Sony is giving us bigger better transfers of films like Ghostbusters and Raimi's Spider-Man. I'm very happy that they've re-did the transfer on Ghostbusters. I couldn't care less if there's a "4K' banner along the top of that improved transfer or not. An improved transfer is an improved transfer. That they went the Superbit route is all the better since I own all these extras twice over already, and more.

We want bigger better transfers. All day long I read on here people bitching for bigger better transfers. Why is everyone so quick to shit all over these bigger better transfers?
Because now I have to own the movie three times (The last Bluray was missing some extras)! Contrary to what they want you to believe, this disc doesn't use all up the space on the disc, it actually only uses 35GB so they could have easily transferred over the extras, or at least most of them and put the rest on a second disc, then I could have sold off the previous disc, which would have gave me money to put towards this disc as well as freed up some shelf space. They way they are going about this is terrible!

They are charging the same if not more for this disc then the regular stacked disc, and I don't want it to become the norm that I have to buy every movie twice, one for the extras, one for the movie. Not only will that be a lot of money in the long run, but again it will take up a lot of space. Next year is Ghostbuster's anniversary, why couldn't they have waited until next year and just release this movie with the new transfer and extras as an anniversary edition, hell they could have even included the second movie in a boxset. Same thing with Spider-Man, they just re-released the movies last year with extras (But still didn't include all of them from the DVDs), why couldn't they have included the new transfer then? Why, because that way they can't rip off customers and make double the money on a release. Don't even get me started on the $30 barebones releases of Total Recall (2012) and Amazing Spider-Man they are putting out there. Those movies were only released last year, why weren't the good transfers included then!? Why make customers choose between PQ and extras when they can include both in one package for a reasonable price?

On top of it, the whole thing is just a marketing mess that is going to confuse people more then anything. It has confused enough on sites like this and Bluray.com, I could imagine what the masses are going to think.

Sony is the worse, they love to rush out tech and then quickly abandon it when profits aren't as high as they would like. How many catalog titles have they actually put out on Bluray? Barely any, the few of their titles out there are ones they sold to companies like Twilight who charge $30 and are limited. They are no better with their portable video game systems, how long did they support that downloadable only PSP?

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
baggio
HackMaster

http://www.cnet.com.au/blu-ray-set-t...-339344088.htm

"As part of its ongoing responsibility to maintain Blu-ray Disc as the premium platform for watching movies and other content at home, the BDA established a task force last year to study a range of possible format extensions, including those that potentially enable 4K content playback on Blu-ray.

Through the first quarter of this year, the task force solicited and received numerous proposals, and is now evaluating the various technologies.

The task force, which is comprised of representatives from BDA member studios, consumer electronics manufacturers and media technology companies, looks forward to sharing with and receiving input from content creators, and is expected to make specification and technology recommendations to the Blu-ray Disc Association board of directors later this year."
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote