Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
booper71
HackMaster

My favorite Roku/Boxee Channels

Zom-Bee TV
- Horror hosted uncut movies, really good choices overall.

Midnight Pulp
- I found Antfarm Dickhole and other indies here.
Drive In Classics
- The Mutilator and other drive in fare.

Couchcutter TV
- airing Attack of the Cockface Killer 2 mostly.

Rhonda Sheer TV
- She has archived some of her hosted bits from the USA movies.

Epix
- They have some good Troma on, but I have this mostly for boxing.

Popcornflix
- it's like Netflix streaming minus the tv shows.

Frightpix
- Nice selection.
Crackle
- More or less used to watch Seinfeld.

Time Warner Cable
- this channel gives you access to your channel lineup, really handy if the DVR is backed up.

HBO Go
- Really good, the fights could air live but they dont here.

Something Weird Video
- this is actually a pay channel, you get vintage horror and drug films.

Netflix
- Still a great deal for $8, it satisfies my child for hours with all the caillou and other toons.

Hulu Plus
- I don't mind watching my shows a day late, they have wrestling too.
VEVO
- I have enjoyed the PPV aspect of this.

Wealth TV
- for boxing only.

Gauntlet TV
- Heavy metal videos.

Anime Vice - for the toons
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
buck135
The Duke of New York

My introduction to the Roku was an article from the CEO stating that Blu-ray will be dead by 2016. It didn't really leave to good a taste in my mouth about whatever it was he was promoting. The channels you mentioned do sound cool, but I'm going to pass.

http://gigaom.com/2012/06/13/roku-ce...-to-peak-soon/
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Myron Breck
BOO!!! Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
My introduction to the Roku was an article from the CEO stating that Blu-ray will be dead by 2016. It didn't really leave to good a taste in my mouth about whatever it was he was promoting. The channels you mentioned do sound cool, but I'm going to pass.

http://gigaom.com/2012/06/13/roku-ce...-to-peak-soon/
Not a very flattering article. Sounds to me like he was just pitching for sales at an event. I was amused that he starts out saying that "no one" will be using BluRay players in four years...but he wouldn't rule out the possibility that his boxes would eventually have BluRay players installed in them.

"In this Age of Grand Illusion, you walked into my life out of my dreams..."
Myron Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Breck View Post
Not a very flattering article. Sounds to me like he was just pitching for sales at an event. I was amused that he starts out saying that "no one" will be using BluRay players in four years...but he wouldn't rule out the possibility that his boxes would eventually have BluRay players installed in them.
Are any of these Roku specific or are they also available through AppleTv, as well? I don't own either but am interested.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
booper71
HackMaster

Most of the big ones are multi platform and ironically can be even had on Samsung bluray players.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
othervoice1
HackMaster

I love Roku- have one in each room - I cut the cable cord last year and is saving me a lot of money - and I dont really miss it. And for any local sports I cant get via antennae there are a couple sites that take care of that problem.... Roku is also better then apple tv as far as overall content available. I also have apps on my TV and Ps3 but for some reason the stream dependability on the Roku is better - especially tv apps seem to freeze up or have issues- havent had those same issues on the Roku apps - example Hulu plus and MLBtv
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
booper71
HackMaster

I held out till this year, the exclusives Zom.bee, midnight pulp, drive-in,frightpix,popcornflix helped make my decision since their free and even play on the cheapest Roku version.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
I love Roku- have one in each room - I cut the cable cord last year and is saving me a lot of money - and I dont really miss it. And for any local sports I cant get via antennae there are a couple sites that take care of that problem.... Roku is also better then apple tv as far as overall content available. I also have apps on my TV and Ps3 but for some reason the stream dependability on the Roku is better - especially tv apps seem to freeze up or have issues- havent had those same issues on the Roku apps - example Hulu plus and MLBtv
I watch Netflix with an app built into my Panasonic plasma. It works alright but video can sometimes freeze up (audio continues though). I often wonder about the TV processor and if a Roku or appletv would handle the job better.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
unclefred
Victim

The Roku is great. I also cut the cord and added http://www.playon.tv/ for $49 lifetime membership. Excellent TV with plenty of updating channels for 7.99 a month (netflix) vs the $100 a month I was paying.

Who cares about someone's opinion about bluray when I'm making choices about my free entertainment content?
unclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
othervoice1
HackMaster

I have playon as well - it was cheap otherwise its kinda sketchy on its value - I got it mainly for some channel site streaming such as CBS where I can watch newer episodes of Big Bang Theory on my television set via the roku with the playon app. Plus it has a link to the entire batman television series which is kinda cool.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
othervoice1
HackMaster

For anyone curious here is my setup after cutting the cord:

Antennae on my rooftop (was already there) provides local tv to my living room and bedroom- have a leaf antennae for the exercise room

Roku boxes in living room, bedroom and exercise room (3 total)

Pay for Huluplus 7.99 a month

Pay for Amazon Prime (already had this before I even cut the cord) 79.00 a year so about 6.50 a month- includes free streaming and free two day shipping on all Amazon purchases regardless of amount

One year subscription to Playon - 19.99 a year so about 1.65 a month (fyi you can get redbox streaming via PS3 and Roku via Playon now)

I do pay for mlbtv online but I had done this before cutting cable- and is cheaper then the cable version of it and allows you to have the home team broadcast even when your team is on the road unlike the cable version. Is about 120.00 a year and lets me watch my Pittsburgh Pirates (even though they cant get a winning season in over 20 years)

For sports like Monday night Football or regional college/pro sports that are on Big Ten Network or ESPN there are some sites on the internet you can view those on your computer- you just have to be patient and not click all the malware that comes up on those sites when you first try to bring the game up and cannot be viewed on your TV. I would also suggest doing a quick scan on your machine whenever you are done watching a game.

When I cut my landline and cable television last year and just went to using a cell phone and roku it is saving me around 150.00 a month now- then add about 16.00 in monthly streaming fees and one time charges for roku boxes and I am coming out with big savings. I am single with just my son on the weekends so I could see where this may not be as convenient for a family- but its doable after some adjusting. Eventually the future will be in streaming content and the big cable companies will have to adjust in some way- be nice to have a more ala carte type cable bill rather then what you pay for a bunch of channels you could care less about.

I do have a really nice fios broadband connection at a great price which helps too- I get 25/25 speed at my house for 40.00 a month - is normally 50.00 a month but I get a 10.00 discount since I work for a communications company.

Last edited by othervoice1; 04-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.