Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Paff

Comic-Con International 2015

So, I guess I'm the only one going to this? It opens in about 30 minutes. As the name implies, it's more about comics and comic material, but it's expanded to include interests as far-ranging as sci-fi, horror, gaming, animation, etc. There's quite a bit of horror-related content. Today there's a "Fright Night at 30" panel that I'm going to attend. Tom Holland will be there.

Tomorrow and Saturday have a lot more horror, with a panel on the science of Lovecraft, something for the new Scream, Evil Dead, Scream Queens, and Damien TV series, a horror comics/film panel, Creepy/Eerie, Famous Monsters, the Scream Factory panel, a Hammer/Harryhausen panel, something called "The Bold Voice of Contemporary Horror Film", and one I'm especially interested in, a horror movie composer panel. This one will have Harry Manfredini, Richard Band, and Maurizio Guarini of Goblin.

I'll keep y'all up to date on any cool shit I get to see.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Angelman
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
So, I guess I'm the only one going to this? It opens in about 30 minutes. As the name implies, it's more about comics and comic material, but it's expanded to include interests as far-ranging as sci-fi, horror, gaming, animation, etc. There's quite a bit of horror-related content. Today there's a "Fright Night at 30" panel that I'm going to attend. Tom Holland will be there.

Tomorrow and Saturday have a lot more horror, with a panel on the science of Lovecraft, something for the new Scream, Evil Dead, Scream Queens, and Damien TV series, a horror comics/film panel, Creepy/Eerie, Famous Monsters, the Scream Factory panel, a Hammer/Harryhausen panel, something called "The Bold Voice of Contemporary Horror Film", and one I'm especially interested in, a horror movie composer panel. This one will have Harry Manfredini, Richard Band, and Maurizio Guarini of Goblin.

I'll keep y'all up to date on any cool shit I get to see.
I used to go about 10 years ago because I could literally drive there from LA day of and walk right in - too much of a hassle now. I have a lot of friends going but they are HARD CORE about this stuff. I'm lukewarm. I used to be a big comics collector. Rarely read any now.
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Dave
Pimp

Are you going to any panels, Paff? Evil Dead?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Are you going to any panels, Paff? Evil Dead?
I'm currently at an Xbox panel, so I'm guaranteed a seat for the next one, the Fright Night panel.

I doubt I'll be going to the Evil Dead panel, as it's the same time as both Archer and Orphan Black. All three panels will have all the talent involved both behind and on camera

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #5
Dobby
quantum physics

Paff is there any comic con blu-ray exclusives there?
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #6
Paff

Naw, just things like toys and figures. Blu Rays are available at some manufacturers' booths, like Shout Factory, but at full list price. You're better off going to Amazon

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 AM   #7
Dobby
quantum physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Naw, just things like toys and figures. Blu Rays are available at some manufacturers' booths, like Shout Factory, but at full list price. You're better off going to Amazon
Oh my, well thank you for looking for me regardless.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:25 AM   #8
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Sounds like a great event. The Montreal comic-con just passed and the guest list sucked so bad I skipped it this year.
Hope everyone attending has fun.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 AM   #9
Paff

Fright Night panel sucked. Tom Holland couldn't make it, so it was just two losers who admitted they weren't even born when the movie came out. Literally, worst panel I've ever been to at Comic Con

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Only reason I would go to a con would be to catch glimpses of an actor from one of my favorite horror flicks. I don't even care for autographs, photos or any of that nonsense since it's just a paid actor taking a random photo with a stranger. I don't get starstruck like that. I see actors and TV personalities all the time at work and I couldn't care less. But I imagine a stroll through a con is just like strolling through a Warner Bros. outlet store, for instance. Just merchandise at full MSRP as far as the eye can see - nothing really exciting about that.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:05 AM   #11
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Paff is there any comic con blu-ray exclusives there?
I stand corrected, as it turns out there sort of was; Shout Factory located some remaining copies of the limited edition of Nightbreed that they were letting go only at their booth for $60. Although I should also say that this is third party information, I only went to the SF booth once to get my badge scanned for giveaways. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, so I passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Only reason I would go to a con would be to catch glimpses of an actor from one of my favorite horror flicks. I don't even care for autographs, photos or any of that nonsense since it's just a paid actor taking a random photo with a stranger. I don't get starstruck like that. I see actors and TV personalities all the time at work and I couldn't care less. But I imagine a stroll through a con is just like strolling through a Warner Bros. outlet store, for instance. Just merchandise at full MSRP as far as the eye can see - nothing really exciting about that.
For a horror convention, you're mostly correct. It's usually less studio presence, and more independent (read: Bootleggers) selling movies. But yeah, a lot of those conventions is standing in lines to meet celebrities and paying for photos with them/autographs. There might be one or two rooms with panels and discussions, and maybe another with screenings. If you're lucky, you might be able to run into someone at the hotel bar having drinks, and that can lead to fun discussions, but that's about it.

Comic-Con International is quite different. For one thing, it covers so many various forms of pop culture entertainment. Comics of course, hence the name, but also movies, television, art, costuming, video games, RPG games, toys, animation, Japanese Anime, independent filmmaking, a miniature film festival, and about a million other things. At any given time, there's usually around 25 different panels happening. That's just at the convention center. The surrounding area is filled with exhibits, special events, etc. Petco Park (home of the San Diego Padres) is turned into "Escape the Walking Dead", some zombie thing that I didn't go to. Many major studios will lease any vacant building downtown and turn it into some kind of promo center. And you never know who will just be walking around. I was leaving the Omni Hotel (where they were playing back video of the panels that were at capacity), and Jason Mewes was waiting for the valet. It's that kind of atmosphere.

The dealer floor is literally just under a half-mile long. Sure there's those booths like Warner Bros, selling stuff at full MSRP. But there's a ton of independent artists, authors, and resellers. The resellers mostly have books of some kind (usually comics, graphic novels, etc), and I don't even walk in unless they're advertising at least 50% off list price. I love the independent artists too, they have such great stuff, and you're buying it directly from them.

As far as my retail haul, I mostly got a bunch of books of various kinds. One guy had found some unopened boxes of Creepy and Eerie books, and was selling them at $5 each. He only had two different issues, oddly enough, so I got Creepy #8 and #20, both of which were printed in the 60s. A comic dealer had the Bloom County books, which list at $40, for $12 each. Man, those were painful to lug around the rest of the day. Also got the Annotated Lovecraft book, but had to pay full retail for that one, $40.

Went to a bunch of panels, though I'm pissed I missed the Evil Dead. One fun little event they have is called "name that movie", where they show clips of sci-fi/horror/fantasy films from every era, and four contestants have to guess them. The contestants were chosen at random, and I did not get picked. But when they were unable to name a movie, it went to the general audience, and I managed to name a few like They Saved Hitler's Brain, The Wicker Man, The Wild World of Batwoman, and Horror at Party Beach. Got a token movie poster book as a prize.

Spent all of Friday at the Indigo Ballroom at the neighboring Hilton Hotel, as it's animation day. That's one you kinda have to get in in the morning, as once it gets to capacity they don't let anyone else in. Even so, I still had a 90 minute wait in line to actually get in the room. Once in, I saw the panels for Rick and Morty, Mike Tyson Mysteries (Mike was there, and he literally makes no sense at all when he speaks), Robot Chicken, Bob's Burgers, and Archer. After that, at the convention center there was a horror comics/movie panel, and the infamous Shout Factory panel where I posted all the new releases as they were announced.

Saturday there was a Warner Archives panel, where they talked about the upcoming Hammer/Harryhausen releases. Best part of that was Joe Dante on the panel, and he took up most of the time talking about horror history. He went on so long, they didn't have the usual time for Q&A, which was fine with me because I'd rather hear Joe Dante just talk about movies rather than answer the (usually) lame audience questions.

Later in the day there was a panel on contemporary horror and the upcoming Beyond Fest and Fantastic Fest horror film festivals. Elijah Wood was the big name, but also a few directors and producers from movies like VHS, The Raid, Resolution, Midnight Swim, etc. Highlight of this one was a trivia contest, and this time I DID get picked as contestant. Proud to say, I practically ran the table (some sample questions: Name the John Carpenter apocalypse trilogy in the order of release, Michael Pitt starred as the villain in what Michael Haneke remake, the movie The Other was based on a novel by which author, etc). My prize for this one was a pass to Beyond Fest in Los Angeles in October.

I was hoping to catch at least the first half of the Creepy/Eerie panel (they usually give away some pretty cool stuff at those), but it was on the other side of the Convention Center so instead I just went to the horror composers panel. That was interesting, although rather dry.

Sunday I just walked the dealer floor and loaded up on 50% off trade paperbacks, the new Cyanide and Happiness book (artist signed), an Orphan Black calendar, and this T-shirt:

Seriously, if there's ONE convention to go to as a horror/sci-fi/film fan, this is it.

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-15-2015, 01:07 AM   #12
russweiss
HackMaster

I used to go to the Comic Con every year but that was during the late 80's and all through the 90's. Now you can find the merchandise on line. It is nice to see the actors and crews from movies but the crowds are so big it just became more than I wanted to deal with but I was able to meet a lot of film and TV personalities and got some nice autographs and photos.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 AM   #13
othervoice1
HackMaster

I am a huge fan of the Buffy TV series - that is pretty cool - so was that a poster or actually the shirt design you mentioned above it?
othervoice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #14
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
Now you can find the merchandise on line.
Yeah, that's why I've just about given up on buying movies there. I didn't buy any this year. There was nothing there I couldn't get on Amazon for significantly less.

As mentioned, I do go for the 50% off trade paperbacks, and $12 each for the Bloom County books is ridiculous. That's literally 70% off list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by othervoice1 View Post
I am a huge fan of the Buffy TV series - that is pretty cool - so was that a poster or actually the shirt design you mentioned above it?
That design is on the shirt, but they also had posters of it. As I was buying it, I noticed Juliet Landau was at the booth, just signing stuff. Damn that's one skinny woman...

Paff's Laserdiscs
Old 07-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
baggio
HackMaster

Did you see this there? They are from Ringside Collectables.

Zombie John Cena and Hulk Hogan.

Last edited by baggio; 07-15-2015 at 03:15 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote