Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > High Definition

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Demoni
HackMaster

Lifeforce (Arrow Video) / 30th September

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE, THE TERROR BEGINS.

When a space shuttle crew finds a mysterious spacecraft containing three human-looking creatures in a state of suspended animation, they bring them back to Earth for further investigation.

It's only then that scientists discover that they are in fact a race of space vampires that feed off people's life-force rather than their blood. So when they escape and run amok in London, the consequences are apocalyptic - and the shuttle crew's only survivor (Steve Railsback) seems to be the only man who can stop them.

Based on Colin Wilson’s novel ‘The Space Vampires’, co-written by Dan O’Bannon (Alien, Return of the Living Dead) and directed by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Poltergeist), this lively sci-fi horror romp has a stellar cast including Peter Firth, Frank Finlay and Patrick Stewart - although it's Mathilda May's appearance as a naked female alien that attracts most attention to this day.

2-Disc Blu-ray Special Edition Special Features:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of both the Theatrical and Director’s Cuts
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- New audio commentary with director Tobe Hooper
- New audio commentary with make-up effects artist Nick Maley
- Cannon Fodder: The Making of Lifeforce - An epic UK-exclusive look at the genesis, production and release of Lifeforce featuring interviews with Hooper, producer Michael J. Kagan, editor John Grover, actors Aubrey Morris and Nicholas Ball, makeup artist Sandra Exelby, screenwriter Michael Armstrong, sound designer Vernon Messenger, artistic designers Tom Adams and Douglas Smith and effects artist John Schoonraad.
- New Cast & Crew Retrospective with star Steve Railsback, Hooper, Mathilda May and more!
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spot
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, a new interview with Oscar-winning visual effects artist John Dykstra by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- More to be announced
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Demoni
HackMaster

The first plus over the Shout version is that both the Theatrical cut and the Director’s cut will be pressented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p).
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
elDomenechHDG
HackMaster

Not only that but the Arrow edition features mind-blowing artwork and a steelbook - huge plusses for me. I'll wait for this version.
elDomenechHDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elDomenechHDG View Post
Not only that but the Arrow edition features mind-blowing artwork and a steelbook - huge plusses for me. I'll wait for this version.
Me too, pre-ordered both versions.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
booper71
HackMaster

Truly nice artwork, much better than the old although the old should be a bonus cover.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Demoni
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by booper71 View Post
Truly nice artwork, much better than the old although the old should be a bonus cover.
The original American and European posters are the front and back of the steelbook.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoni View Post
The first plus over the Shout version is that both the Theatrical cut and the Director’s cut will be pressented in High Definition Blu-ray (1080p).
Both are on Scream's Blu as well, but the director's cut is the only version that appears on Scream's DVD. But this is a great package. Looks to be one of the few times that Arrow trumps Scream in the supplement department.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #8
Shannafey
Don't Monkey With Me!

Will I be able to play this on a US player?
Shannafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #9
buck135
The Duke of New York

I just preordered this over the Scream blu-ray since it contains 1080p transfers for both versions of the film. Having a steelbook featuring my two favorite posters doesn't hurt. Thanks Arrow!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
Amazon.uk says that it's region B, but I have two other Arrow blu-rays that work fine despite having the same designation there. I do recommend picking up a blu-ray player that can handle all three regions. I love my Orei BDP-M2.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyjoe37 View Post
Both are on Scream's Blu as well, but the director's cut is the only version that appears on Scream's DVD. But this is a great package. Looks to be one of the few times that Arrow trumps Scream in the supplement department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135 View Post
I just preordered this over the Scream blu-ray since it contains 1080p transfers for both versions of the film. Having a steelbook featuring my two favorite posters doesn't hurt. Thanks Arrow!
Read Fattyjoe's comment, they are both in 1080p on Scream's Bluray as well!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannafey View Post
I doubt it. All of Arrow's releases are now region locked due to Scream having the rights to most of their titles in NA.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Read Fattyjoe's comment, they are both in 1080p on Scream's Bluray as well!
You know, it would help if I actually read the damn post instead of skimming it. Thanks spawningblue. I'll have to compare the two when all of the features have been posted before deciding on which one to buy.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Nailwraps
HackMaster

Full specs revealed (thanks to DVD Newsflash)!:

"2-Disc Blu-ray Special Edition Special Features:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of both the Theatrical and International Versions, transferred from original elements by MGM with supervision by director Tobe Hooper
- Optional uncompressed 2.0 Stereo PCM and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround Sound
- Isolated Music and Effects Sound Track
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary with Tobe Hooper, moderated by filmmaker Tim Sullivan
- Audio commentary with Academy Award-winning visual effects artist Douglas Smith, moderated by filmmaker and scholar Howard S. Berger
- Audio commentary with make-up effects artist Nick Maley, moderated by filmmaker Michael Felsher
- Cannon Fodder: The Making of Lifeforce - An epic UK-exclusive look at the genesis, production and release of Lifeforce featuring interviews with Hooper, producer Michael J. Kagan, editor John Grover, actors Aubrey Morris and Nicholas Ball, makeup artist Sandra Exelby, screenwriter Michael Armstrong, sound designer Vernon Messenger, artistic designers Tom Adams and Douglas Smith and effects artist John Schoonraad.
- Space Vampires in London: An interview with Tobe Hooper
- Dangerous Beauty: An interview with Mathilda May, Lifeforce’s iconic star
- Carlsen’s Curse: Star Steve Railsback looks back on Lifeforce and his career
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by science fiction expert Bill Warren, a new interview with Oscar-winning visual effects artist John Dykstra by Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters"
Nailwraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
thing
Maniac

Preordered this a few months ago, steel book looks awesome